close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2 small punctures in @#%$ new tire

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by J.R. Bob Dobbs, Mar 9, 2007.

1. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Got back from a ride on the ZRX yesterday and noticed something in my brand-new rear Pilot Road. Pried it out and it's a bone fragment. Bubbles slightly with soapwater.

Planned on plugging it today, and upon inspection also find a small staple in the same tire, also leaking slightly. Tire hasn't lost any measurable air in three days.

Plug? Live with it? Fix-a-flat? Patch?(really don't wanna patch) Suggestions please.

2. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

If The Tire was on a Honda 50 Cub, top speed 35mph I say Plug / Patch it. On Your Bike Replace it. Is your life worth $150 ? You Bet!
    Good Luck and Ride Safe :thumbsup:

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Green Slime, period. HH

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If the tire is in good shape then patch it from the inside. I've had rear tires patched up from the inside and they never leaked again.

5. Elmstreet

Elmstreet

Plugging further damages the tire. As you insert the rasp, to clean and enlarge the hole to accept the plug, you damage additional carcasse/body cords thereby weakening the tire. Then when you insert the plug you stand some chance of snagging a cord, or two, on the extraction thereby breaking additional cord(s).

Stay away from plugs in both automobile and motorcycle tires. Your life is not worth taking the downside chances that come with plugging.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

The goo-soaked scrap of yarn which requires rasping is NOT the same as a compression mushroom plug. The latter are perfect for radial bike tires. HH

7. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

Plug it to ride Slow to next dealer or Home if you are on the road. No other reason is acceptable. Blow outs scratch,break, & bend You and your chrome. Emergency rooms, ambulance rides cost more than new rubber.
    Good Luck and ride Safe.:thumbsup:

8. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Is "slime" essentially the same as fix-a-flat? I've thought about trying some.

It's been several days and still hasn't lost 1psi yet. Been riding it as usual. The staple hole is definitely too small to plug, though it's leaking more than the larger bone chip.

-I've had 100% success with string plugs in car/truck tires. -I've had 100% failure with internal patches in car tires.
    -Once I used fix-a-flat in a slow (couldn't find source)leak in car tire, lasted life of the tire.
    -I have tried neither in bike tires

9. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Green Slime is better than fix-a-flat.

10. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

From a catalog; "..Slime is not recommended for use in tubeless tires as it may corrode aluminum wheels"