2 Pitbull attacks in a week

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by J Lee, Aug 25, 2015.

1. J Lee

J Lee

After a deadly attack on its owner over the weekend, another attack today 30 minutes away in upstate SC by pitbulls. Deputies shot the dog during todays attack while it was on top of a woman clamped on to her arm. Reports say she may lose her hand.

2. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

Oh boy. Now all those folks who own 'pitties' will be posting here about how their dog is so gentle they let it sleep in the crib with the baby.

3. Koba

Koba

I work at a vet clinic and I have met tons of fantastic pits. I don't know what is up with some of them. I would not let any dog in a crib with a baby, but they are not all bad. By number of bites, dachshunds are actually the most aggressive breed.

ancient_serpent likes this.
  4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

5. Kranq

Kranq

A good, or bad dog is a reflection of the owner. A dog, (pit bull or otherwise) with an owner who properly trains, socializes and spends time bonding with the dog, will generally be a well adjusted companion. Same dog with a different owner who sees it as a penis extension, or sends no time training, socializing and bonding with with the animal, you will get an animal that is dangerous.

tattooo and badge315 like this.
  6. MajJamesMcFarlane

MajJamesMcFarlane

I don't trust any dog over about 35 pounds around me or my kid. I had a 120 pound lab that was a great dog, we socialized her with people and other dogs. One day a Yorkie snapped at her so she grabbed it around the neck and before I could get to her had broken it's neck. Again, this is not a dog I beat, this is not a dog I kept on a chain, she slept in my bed till my wife and I got married.

Dogs are dogs are dogs, police dogs routinely bite cops and there are a handful of cases where the dog couldn't be physically pulled off the officer and had to be shot.

Caver 60 and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  7. MajJamesMcFarlane

MajJamesMcFarlane

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Dog-Bites-Richmond-Police-Officer-PD-309327251.html

No matter how much you train them, they are still just dogs.

Caver 60 and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  8. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

The difference is, I have yet to learn of a human that was mauled to death by a wienie dog.

72Cheyenne likes this.
  9. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

They'd have to chew on your ankle a long time to get in far enough to bleed you out.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  10. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Chihuahuas are very dangerous too. Folks treat them like they're cute little babies, excuse bad/dominant behavior, and put their faces near them. *snap*

I have a cheewee and a 77 pound Labrador. The Lab can be quite fearsome when we play the growling game (I always win, for sure). I can imagine the damage he could do if he could rub two brain cells together. The cheewee is the Enemy of Fun and tries to run everything until Alpha Biznitch steps in and squashes it. She rules the Lab's life.

I do reiterate that some dogs are more likely to be aggressive than others. But it does come down to training and socialization. That, and realizing that dogs are NOT people, will NEVER be people, and canNOT be treated like people. You are the alphas, the kids are the betas, and the dogs are always always ALWAYS the deltas. Any upset in that pack order will result in aggressive dominant dogs that can cause a hell of a lot of trouble for everyone.

badge315 and Little Joe like this.
  11. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Regarding the cheewee, I just farted on her head and she gave me the most unbelievable look of reproach and then stalked away.

:tempted:

12. J Lee

J Lee

Nor do they tear off arms and legs. In the attack today, a witness said the victims calf was torn to shreds before the dog latched on to her arm. No one will ever convince me that pitbulls are not inherently aggressive and unpredictably dangerous.

13. adamg01

adamg01

Pit Bulls are like minorities. Their champions will always lay the blame somewhere else.

r3dot, Caver 60 and stevelyn like this.
  14. Rotn1

Rotn1

So what is it exactly you are trying to accomplish.
    No point trying to engage in discussion with anyone who starts with the position that they can never be convinced

Hey, news flash dogs bite.
    Bigger dogs can do more damage than small dogs - what a revalation.
    Finally as some have already pointed out its all about the owners and training

you obviously have an anti pit agenda

badge315 likes this.
  15. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

There's a handful around here I'm looking for an excuse to put the dam-dam on.

16. Koba

Koba

I dunno..I have met some savage weenie dogs..if given the chance I think they would :p I have been bit probably 20 times, all by dogs under 30 pounds.

There are some bad pits (and any other breed) regardless of training, but most these dogs were made bad. the other problem is that every time someone sees a dog attacking..they call it a pit. Most people would not recognize an actual pit bull if they saw one.

ancient_serpent likes this.
  17. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

All dogs and cats have the potential to bite regardless of training. I've been bit by a well mannered family German Shepard. Had a sore hand for a couple of weeks. Pit Bulls are fully capable of mauling a grown man to death and will not hesitate to do so if he snaps. It's what they are. And Pit Bulls that are not 100% American Pit Bull Terrier are still Pit Bulls.

Caver 60 likes this.
  18. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

There's no such thing as a pit bull,
    it's always the owner's fault,
    the victim asked for it,
    other breeds do it too,
    can't help it, the environment was unfavorable,
    the thug life chose them,
    society never gave them a chance.

Any excuses omitted?

Caver 60 likes this.
  19. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

This is the failure of dog lovers, people that are too close to the topic to understand their myopia. They rationalize however they have to, to not face the real issue.

Training and socializing are TWO variables out of many. The innate nature of a breed is another, and there are many, many other variables. Saying that training and socializing is all that matters to whether or not a particular dog attacks, is like saying that rotating the tires is all that matters to whether or not a particular vehicle breaks down.

It's an almost willfully ignorant attitude to have.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  20. hooligan74

hooligan74

Have we got any verification that these were in fact Pits? I'm not saying it's impossible or even unlikely, I'm just saying I trust the media to correctly identify dogs about as much as I trust them to correctly identify weapons.

Lone_Wolfe and Rotn1 like this.