Glock Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7,412 Posts
There were some concerns regarding the strength of the frame when the 40 S&W models were introduced so Glock added the third pin. With one small exception, all Gen 5 guns are 9mm so apparently the strength of the frame isn’t a concern. The locking block on the Gen 5 guns is the same as earlier models, there is a provision for a third pin. It would probably be a simple matter to add a third pin if/when the Gen 5 comes in something other than 9mm and extra strength is needed.

· Banned
6,834 Posts
The 9x19mm Glocks all lacked a Locking Block Pin until the Gen2.5 G26 was introduced in 1995. All non-9x19mm models except very early examples of some some models used the LBP.

In 2002, Glock added the LBP to the G17, and then a little later to all other 9x19mm models just to standardize Glock pistol construction. Then, with the introduction of the FBI-contract G17M and G19M (predecessor to Gen5 et al) in 2016, the LBP disappeared from subsequent 9x19mm pistols.

It is my opinion that the LBP has been shown by experience from 1982 to 2002 as unnecessary to Glock pistols in 380ACP and 9x19mm. I do not extend that opinion to Glock pistols in significant calibers regardless of a Brazilian police contract for a modified Gen5 pistol in 40SW or a submission of a Gen5 type of pistol in 40SW to the M17 MHS trials.

Reactions: fastbolt

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That area must get a lot of stress because I hear of people talking about broken blocks and pispns but I can’t remember how many if any were 9mm. Are the new Glocks using MIM blocks now?

· Registered
193 Posts
Early Gen2 19's had frame cracking issues that were temporarily fixed with a frame relief cut behind the locking block, adding a locking block pin permanently fixed the issue in the Gen 3's.

· US Army Retired
739 Posts
Not all G5s are 9mm.
Sao Paulo Military Police have received new G5s chambered in .40 S&W.

Wonder how that's working out.
IIRC, it was the .40 causing frame cracking that led to the addition of the 3rd pin in the first place.

· Premium Member
2,653 Posts
There was a change in the frame area near the locking block, and the locking block itself for the Gen 5. The locking block no longer rotates up slightly like it did in the early days, and that negates the need for the third pin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.