Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just bought a glock 17 from a friend that has finger grooves, and a light rail but is a 2 pin gun, I detail stripped it and it has a 2 pin locking block. Is it possible that it is a gen 2 or just an early gen 3? the serial number starts with EAM***US. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Are you sure its a 2 pin? When people refer to the 2 pin of three pin they are refering to the pins by the locking block and are also counting the one by the grip.

A 2 pin gun will only have 1 pin by the locking block.

·
just me
8,179 Posts
my 3rd gen. 17-L is a two pin glock one pin for the trigger pin and the trigger housing pin

·
Armed & Safe
2,196 Posts
The early 3rd gen. 9mm GLOCKs still came with only two pins, like the 1st and 2nd gen 9mms. They take a different style locking block, so that may be worth looking into.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it has only two pins. One for the trigger pin and one for the trigger housing pin. We got it for $250 and I was gonna take the slide, mags, and trigger housing to make my g35 into a g17 and he was going to take the frame to have a dedicated advantage arms 22lr set up. It's in mint condition so I am kind of afraid of shooting it if it's so rare.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,582 Posts
Any Glock 9mm with finger groves and a light rail will be a
Generation 3. 2 pins or 3 pins still 3rd. gen.
At
Correct.

Glock 9mm's (except for the G26) didn't have the locking block pin until early in 2002....an 'ease of manufacturing' change....why make two different style frames when one will do?

:patriot:

·
Armed & Safe
2,196 Posts
why ?:whistling:
If your 2-pin gun has a newer style locking block, I imagine it works just fine.

I was unaware that one could use a newer style LB in an older, 2-pin gun.

Still, even though it works with a 3-pin LB, doesn't mean one should use a 3-pin LB when 2-pin LBs are widely available.

For me, I would want the correct part in my gun. But, as, I'm assuming, yours works fine, it may not be a problem at all.

For the OP, I would suggest a call to GLOCK, Inc. to see if the LB is fine as is. 770-432-1202

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine has the old style locking block, and old style extractor (no LCI) as far as I have noticed.
I handed the frame to my dad and put the firing pin housing, trigger with trigger bar, and complete g17 slide assembly on my G35 today and took it to the range. It's a grate shooter; I will probably retire my 226R cause of it. The only one thing that bothered me was I had a phase 3 malfunction after firing about two mags. Clearing the malfunction wasn't as bad as it sounded in the NYPD reports but I have never even seen one before and only thought it was a problem with the G19s. Does anyone know if there are any parts I am supposed to change to correct that?

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,582 Posts
I handed the frame to my dad and put the firing pin housing, trigger with trigger bar, and complete g17 slide assembly on my G35 today and took it to the range.
The 'firing pin housing'? I'll guess you mean the trigger mechanism housing with the 9mm ejector on it?

Why the trigger?

Hard to say about the malfunction, could be locking block related, maybe the G35's locking block just isn't quite jiving with the G17 barrel lugs.

Smear just a little oil on the locking block and shoot it some more....might have been a fluke too!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 'firing pin housing'? I'll guess you mean the trigger mechanism housing with the 9mm ejector on it?

Why the trigger?

Hard to say about the malfunction, could be locking block related, maybe the G35's locking block just isn't quite jiving with the G17 barrel lugs.

Smear just a little oil on the locking block and shoot it some more....might have been a fluke too!

Yes I did mean trigger mechanism housing. I should probably start proof reading what I write before I post on here.
I took the trigger with trigger bar because I did some trigger work (polishing, filing, and wolf springs) to my glock 35 and just wanted a stock 17 trigger configuration to play around with.
After reading what you said about the locking block I totally agree. I field stripped the pistol and noticed that the locking block is peening the slide about 1/4 inch down from where the usual wear marks are, almost right next to the slide stop notch. I can get pics but they'll be junky cell phone quality and I am not sure if they'll help at all. I have never ever seen peening on a glock slide before so I am a little worried. Should I file down the burrs and keep shooting it? Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

·
just me
8,179 Posts
Yes I did mean trigger mechanism housing. I should probably start proof reading what I write before I post on here.
I took the trigger with trigger bar because I did some trigger work (polishing, filing, and wolf springs) to my glock 35 and just wanted a stock 17 trigger configuration to play around with.
After reading what you said about the locking block I totally agree. I field stripped the pistol and noticed that the locking block is peening the slide about 1/4 inch down from where the usual wear marks are, almost right next to the slide stop notch. I can get pics but they'll be junky cell phone quality and I am not sure if they'll help at all. I have never ever seen peening on a glock slide before so I am a little worried. Should I file down the burrs and keep shooting it? Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.
Should I file down the burrs and keep shooting it? Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated ? NO And my 17-L has some slide peening and i was told to leave it be and it will stop after some time :wavey:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SCC thank you so much! :cheers: Thanks to you and a picture I suspect Butch posted on glockfaq.com I can sleep tonight. I really appreciate your help:dancing:

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just bought a used glock 19 today. My first ever glock. Traded my USP for it. Anyways, it's a 3rd gen. But what is this babble about 2-3 pins stuff?

What am I looking at? If i'm looking at the side of the firearm, I see 1, right above the trigger, and 1 on the backstrap. Are those the pins?

Is 3, better than 2?

Difference in performance or reliability?

·
just me
8,179 Posts
I just bought a used glock 19 today. My first ever glock. Traded my USP for it. Anyways, it's a 3rd gen. But what is this babble about 2-3 pins stuff?

What am I looking at? If i'm looking at the side of the firearm, I see 1, right above the trigger, and 1 on the backstrap. Are those the pins?

Is 3, better than 2?

Difference in performance or reliability?
yes and no if it was a 3 pin you could buy a 23 slide and put it on your 3 pin glock receiver and then you would have a .40 but you can't do that on a two pin guns :whistling:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts