close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2 pin gen3 g17 police trade in questions.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kenndapp, Jun 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kenndapp

kenndapp

i am the new owner of an early gen 3 g17 police trade-in 2 pin frame......unknown round count. the pistol is in decent condition but looks well used. i have never had a 2 pin model. upon inspection it looks a little different than my 3 pin frames (i have only ever had 3 pin frames). right off the bat...... the locking block looks a little strange, and the front sight (dead/dim night sights) has no screw holding it on (i have no idea how it is hanging on there), the plastic is much more shinny than the newer 3 pin gen 3's i own, which have a much more flat finish on the frame (softer plastic?) what does this mean for replacement parts? after-market compatibility? will new after-market sights (front sight screw) fit on this slide? where do i fall short with an older 2 pin model when comes to replacing parts? and what should i be looking out for as far as worn parts are concerned? should i replace anything right away? or wait for a problem to emerge? i like preventative measures. the mag springs do seem a little weak. i want to restore this forgotten glock as best i can. maybe a Haley skimmer trigger and some new trijicons.... ( compatibility? ) suggestions? experiences with 2 pin gen3's? please share. thank you.

-ken

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Locking block looks strange because its a 2-pin model

Front sight is probably staked on, early ones were. It will be replaced by a screw version

Replace all the springs and RSA if it's as worn looking as you say.

That's the best I can offer with my experience and from what i have learned here.

3. JamesDWilder

JamesDWilder

I'm no expert, but I did complete Glock Armorer school last week. The two pin slide lock lever has a vertical stop detent to prevent it from moving to far with the slide off. There may be other slight differences to the locking block, but other than that it should be okay. You can do a function check on the mags, by inserting an empty mag into the mag well and rack the slide back. It should go to slide lock, if it doesn't the spring is weak and needs to be replaced or the follower is damaged. You can also function check RSA. First make sure the gun in unloaded and pointed in a safe direction, dry fire the gun and trap the trigger and hold it back, then move the slide back about 1/2 an inch or so and release the slide. It should go back into battery fully. If it doesn't then you probably have a weak recoil spring.

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

The shiny plastic surface is a result of wear; rubbing on clothing, vehicle seats, etc. It is perfectly normal, and if you carry/use ANY Glock long enough, the plastic will become more polished and shiny.

I have 2 different Glock 34 9mms with two-pin frames (same frame as the G17), and have never had any problems with either of them, despite multiple thousands of rounds through both guns (competition, practice, and carry loads). The only real limitation to the two-pin frames is that Glock does not recommend they be converted to .40 or .357. It is my understanding that the larger/stronger locking block and accompanying third pin was added to increase the frame durability specifically for the .40 (and later, the .357) ammo; as far as I know, the 9mm Glocks never had any frame-related durability problems in the two-pin configuration.

Use and enjoy that Glock!

5. DocWills

DocWills

Yes , 3 pins were the first of the forty change. 9mm Glocks rarely have issues and rarer still have issues in 2 pin. Rebuild it and have one of the best 9mms around.

6. kenndapp

kenndapp

so the locking block is not as robust as 3 pin models? do i have to be careful of my +p use?

7. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

You can send your slide to Trijicon and they will send you a new/rebuilt set of sights installed for under $60.
    Go to their website for further info.

My duty G22 is just over 12 years old. It is getting a nice shine from years of use. The slickness is strangely tacky to my skin as long as it is dry.

8. kenndapp

kenndapp

... so i should not worry about +p and +p+ ammunition in a 2 pin glock17? if the extra pin was put in there to support calibers over 9mm.....then shouldn't i be little concerned about using hot 9mm ammo in excess? no? yes? am i making any sense?

9. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Is it g3 or g2.5?

10. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

what's the difference between a late gen 2.5 glock and an early gen. 3 glock?

11. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

12. kenndapp

kenndapp

finger grooves, light rail, and 2 pins.....i would call it early gen3?

now about that hot ammo? do i need to worry about the reliability and durability of my frame????

13. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

i'd call it an early gen. 3 too

14. kenndapp

kenndapp

why wont anyone touch my 2pin durability/reliability/longevity concerns regarding large volume hot 9mm ammo? if they decided to add an extra pin for a more robust design .... doesn't it say something about the 2pin frames being well,.....not as tough? is it a dumb concern? am i worried about nothing?

15. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I don't know the answer to your question but it seems to me that Glock would know the definitive answer,give them a call and let us know what you discover. SJ 40

16. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Yes, I'd say it is a non-issue, unless you are planning on shooting nuclear-grade handloads. In my opinion, 9mm +P loads should be fine as well; I've shot more than a few of them through my 2-pin gen3 Glocks with no issues at all.

Now, my understanding of +P+ ammo is that there are no accepted pressure limits for +P+ 9mm ammo, and so you really don't know what you might be getting if the box says +P+. Most of the time, it's probably just a marketing ploy to get people to buy ammo, but if ammo is loaded TOO hot, it will damage ANY gun, not just a Glock. The gains over +P are minimal in most cases, and personally, I don't think possibly damaging my gun(s) is worth any tiny gain in velocity. Many folks believe that if a person has a burning need for +P+ ammo, what they REALLY need is a different (bigger/faster/more powerful) caliber. I'd probably include myself in that group most of the time.

17. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Plus, that super-duper high-speed ammo ain't cheap. If you can afford to shoot enough of it to damage any high-quality firearm, you can probably afford to replace the gun when it breaks because of the supercharged ammo. If you can't afford to fix/replace it, you probably won't be shooting enough of it to matter. In any case, it's your choice; if the possibility of damage bothers you, don't shoot +P+ ammo. Fairly simple.

18. kenndapp

kenndapp

i shoot quite a bit +P 9mm ammo. the only +p+ that i have ever used is winchester ranger-t +p+ . i just threw that in there. either way, i just wanted to know that a 2 pin 9mm was just as tough/durable as a 3 pin 9mm.