Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If an early Gen 3 G17 2 pin gun is returned to Glock for a freshen up, will they replace the frame with a 3 pin frame? Personally, I see no need for them to do so. This G17 and my Gen 2 G19 have thousands or rounds through them and the frames on them show no signs of wear or stress.

Has anyone returned a gun to Glock and they replaced the frame?

·
Super Moderator
20,258 Posts
There are a few circumstances where this might happen, so I would say there is no guarantee against it. For instance, a cracked or broken frame rail cannot be repaired as they are cast into the polymer frame as part of the molding process, so a broken frame rail always means a new frame is needed. The same thing might happen if the factory runs out of an early generation-specific part, such as an early style locking block (this kind of old-gun parts shortage eventually happens to all long-term gun makers; Ruger told me many years ago than they no longer had certain parts for their older Security-Six series revolvers).

Keep in mind a pistol with a cracked/broken frame rail is not something they are going to return to the owner, even if you requested it (liability). So the possibility of a non-wanted replacement frame is always there if they find a serious problem.

·
MacGyver
8,226 Posts
If you ask for a "freshen up", its like asking for a "tune up" at the car dealer-- the sky is the limit, Baby! Be specific....COMMUNICATE.

Actually to swap out your frame from a gen2 to a gen3 is considered an "upgrade" unless there is a problem they "notice" in the original frame. So it is either free (point out a problem) or it costs you to upgrade.

I did this myself over 10 years ago-- I specifically ASKED to switch from a gen2 to a gen3 frame (upgrade) for the better texture and the finger grooves, and the extra security of a 3rd pin-- it cost me $145 for Glock to switch it out (because there was nothing wrong with the original) and I lost the matching serial numbers (big woop). Now I have a unique custom Glock factory gen2 slide, with gen3 frame, and non-matching numbers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts