close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2 pata + 1sata= need for raid controller? is this so?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by popnfresh, Jan 8, 2007.

1. popnfresh

popnfresh

I just installed a WD 250 SATAII hdd in my computer which already had 2 pata drives in it. My mobo is only compatible with sata I so I jumpered the drive as shown on WDs' site to keep it at the 1.5gig transfer rate of my mobo.

My bios saw the drive for what it was(scsi device, which as I understand, is fine), it showed up in disk management and the device manager as a 250gig drive, my drive speed software was able to test its' performance.
    I thought all was good until I tried to transfer some files, I would get a popup that said something like "I/O device error".

I ran WD diagnostics and it said there was a cable problem, it also saw the drive as an eide drive. I tried a different sata cable and both types of power connectors, but nothing worked.

I went to the mobo man. website to look for a driver, all I found was a SATA RAID controller.
    I dl'ed and installed it and now the drive works fine, WD diagnostics shows that everything is good and sees it as a SATA drive and I can transfer files to it.

So what does this mean? Do I need a raid setup with 3 drives or is it the mix of sata and pata, or did the raid controller happen to have a sata driver in it that I needed?

I am not familiar with raid or how to set it up, I thought it was for using multiple drives as one mass storage device.
    I did some studying on raid and I don't see how it relates to my situation.

Could someone enlighten me?

2. malkore

malkore

Raid should be an option, not mandatory.

have you gone to the motherboard manufacturer's websites and:
    1. upgraded to the latest BIOS release
    2. checked for newer drivers for your mobo

that's where I'd start. My ASUS P5B board supports SCSI, but I run a SATA and an IDE drive (with a DVD rom on that same data cable) and I don't have to raid.

3. popnfresh

popnfresh

Ok so raid didn't fix the problem. I would intermitantly get "device unplugged" error when trying to transfer large files or defrag. the drive.

So I looked for more drivers or bios updates and found none. I tried all the powers connectors(molex and sata), jumpered not jumpered, and I tried a different power supply to no avail, finally I tried a different new sata cable(both were new) and that solved the problem.

I have transfered multiple 15 gig files, defragged, and downloaded a movie torrent with no problems. I have restarted several times and everthing seems to be working.

And to answer my original question, no I don't need raid, I turned it off and the drive still works fine.

4. NGWT

NGWT

What motherboard do you have and give the complete model numbers (if possible) for the old and new hard drives.

5. nickg

nickg

sounds like ordering in an Indian restaurant.

"i'll have 2 pata, 1 sata, and an order of shrimp vindaloo."

:animlol: