close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2 in 1 ???

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Jun 11, 2012.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I won a random gun from the Dayton match, I am going to get a G34 and set it up for GSSF matches by adding some all black Dawson Precision adjustable sights. That sight combination should make me slow down and shoot slower but thats not really the best idea on the plates. So here's my question, since I will have two Gen 4 G34's, both completely stock besides the FO front / Warren rear and black DP adjustable sights, can I shoot the Gen 4 G34 with the FO sight setup on the plates then switch to the all black setup for the "M" and the "5 to G"??? 2 guns in one division, same exact model just different sights......legal???:dunno:

Moral??? I cant find anything in the rules that says its illegal but I fear it might not be moral, I do not want an UNFAIR advantage. If this IS legal do you folks think it goes against the "spirit" of GSSF competition???:dunno:

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I don't see that it's cheating or anything.
    As long as both are GSSF legal and stuff....

3. SARDG

SARDG

It's legal to do the way you describe it. I went through this with Scotty Banks at least once.

4. mike g35

mike g35

Ok, thanks. I asked about this on another forum, got mixed responses about the "morality" of it but everone says they believe its legal. I'm not sure how much the all black sights will help or if they will at all. If they do thats great if they don't then I will put a .125 wide FO front on it. I have a .125 wide FO and a Dawson rear on my G17 right now, I seem to shoot that sight combination best in GSSF but I still find myself using the FO dot like a red dot on a racegun sometimes. I thought the all black setup would help with that.

5. PM720

PM720

Speaking for myself I don't think I would want to deal with the 2 different sight pictures. It is bad enough between the G22 with the Dawson FO's and the G30 with night sights. JMHO. :dunno:

Scott

6. triggerjerker

triggerjerker

Not to rag on Mike but I think you should send less time and money on guns and gadgets and more time and money on ammo and shooting what you have. :dunno: :tongueout: :supergrin:

7. SARDG

SARDG

Morality is good - but I just try to do rules. And if I'm confused, find the GSSF Rangemaster.

Don't you put the red dot on target and pull the trigger?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  8. SARDG

SARDG

I agree with that. As a matter of fact, all my competiton guns are set up the exact same way - '-' connector, extended controls, same sights. That said, I've been curious about ATS sights so I thought I'd try a set on my new G26 when it comes in in 4 more months... I don't shoot the 26 worth a hoot anyway, so can't hurt my scores much.

9. SARDG

SARDG

Yeah Mike - that 'free' G34, Gen4 is going to cost you $107 upcharge to G34 and another $35 upcharge to Gen4 + tax on the upcharge.

10. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I heard the same question asked at the last match I attended and the answer the shooter recieved was you must shoot the entire match with the gun you started shooting the match with.

Personally I don't care but I will say that for me "Keep It Simple". All my GSSF Glocks have the same sights (Heinie Model 320 Combo), plain black, and I am only shooting 2 (G37 and a G26) so other than the different feel of the 2 models they are set up exactly the same.

Just my .02 worth to help.:supergrin:

Don

11. triggerjerker

triggerjerker

Plus sights, trigger job and whatever else he ends up doing.

12. SARDG

SARDG

Who did you ask Don? I actually think I asked this a couple of times and it's been the 'same model' - and even that has been enforced only loosely.

13. Don At PC

I wasn't asking but I overheard it being asked by another shooter. I don't know the name of the person who supplied the answer.

Don

14. SARDG

SARDG

Hey... they're tools used in the quest for that elusive score - you know, the score that beats Ed. :supergrin:

15. SARDG

SARDG

Gotta be a GSSF Official or it never happened.

16. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Gosh, you cannot purchase success. If you cannot play a Kimball piano, getting a Steinway will not help.

Mike, if you want a role model to copy, Grady uses plain black sights in GSSF.

I think using a different pistol for each stage is both foolish and a waste of money. Learn to play your instrument! GSSF is a game of skill, not money.

17. SARDG

SARDG

Mike- Both Ron and I shoot our G17s for Civilian and Competition - even though we both have G34s. The reasoning is, you cannot get 2 Glocks to shoot the same and practicing with the same gun in Comp, that you'll use in Civ (or Master) gives you an advantage in itself. The amateur divisions are the 'money' divisions anyway, with all the Special Recognition Categories.

Here's a suggestion found in one of those stickies above; get yourself a 17C and shoot ported in Comp, and with a regular barrel in Civ. I don't think there is a Gen4 17C yet though.

18. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Not that anyone would want to shoot like me, but I use plain black sights for GSSF. I'm going to be switching soon to whatever my friend and neighbor BamaTrooper uses.

19. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Yep, I love my 34 but try to minimize how many "different" things I deal with at one match.

While my previous post only dealt with the *legality* of your question ... it does seem to me like you're still trying to solve your problems with equipment instead of hard work.

Pick what your sight preference is and stick with it. And I'd still posit that you're plain and simple shooting too many guns instead of mastering one. GREAT, experienced shooters might can pull that off. Us mere mortals need to keep things simpler.

20. Don At PC

Well not trying to slam anyone including Mike but here is how I see it. 1st I don't know the individuals name but he was a large individual with the same GSSF Shirt that the GSSF crew I knew were wearing. 2nd in my humble opinion if you cannot learn to shoot one Glock through all 3 stages with reasonable results then perhaps you should not be shooting GSSF. Can you switch guns by stage in the same category in IDPA or USPSA ---- I don't think so then why would GSSF be any different. I personally do not know if it is legal or illegal, or moral or not moral and I really don't care. I will say from personal pride that I will not switch guns between stages in the same category because I might think one may give me an advantage at one stage. Bring a suit case full of Glocks and shoot a different one on each target of each stage if you want but you will still be a Piss Poor competitor. If that is the way you want to be know then by all means Go For It.

Now off my soap box.

Don

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012