2 "back-up" drives are seen as unformatted by fresh os install...help!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by popnfresh, Sep 17, 2007.

1. popnfresh

popnfresh

Ok, hopefully you guys can help. I just built a new pc, one for speed in converting and editing videos.

I did a fresh install on an older slower WD80GB pata drive so I could use my faster drives, one WD250 pata and one WD250 sata, for double backups of data.

All of this was just get the pc going to confirm that the mobo, processor, mem, etc. worked while I waited for my new WD500GB sata hdd that I forgot to order.

We'll everything worked, all data was accessable, self highfive.

I got my 500GB hdd, installed it in the system, it worked and everything worked together.

After some bechmarking, I found that the 500GB hdd was about 25MB/s faster than the other sata drive so I decided to use it for my final os install as speed was the point of the new build.

I install the os and try to access my backed up drivers and program and it says the disk is not formatted, WTH?, I check the other backup drive it says the same thing.

I hook up the 80giger with the other install, doot that os, now it says the drives are not formatted.

I did not format the drives yet.
    I tried "recova" I think is the name, it doesn't even see the drives. I tried "recovermyfiles"I think, it sees the drives as 4 separate 2 raw and 2 logical, if that means anything, but it doesn't find the files.

What can I do next? I surely don't want to format the drives and erase the data.

I have googled this problem without any decent answers, other than it seems to be a bug with Windows XP. The only suggestions I have read in forums were to use file recovery software, but no one seemed to resolve the problem.

My only experience with computers is the experience I gained on my own problems, and with the 4 builds I have done for myself so please pardon my ignorance.

If it matters here are the specs-off the top of my head, not sure of exact mod numbers:
    Asus m2ne mobo

Amd athalon 64 x2 5200 2.6ghz dual core processor

Corsair 2 x 1GB ddr2 800(pc6400 I think) xms2(or something like that)

1 WD80GB pata hdd
    1 WD250GB pata hdd
    1 WD250GB sata hdd
    1 WD500GB sata hdd

A Creativelabs audigy2 sound card

A Pny nvidia 8200 series pci x16 video card

Also, if it matters, these drives were not "backed up" with any type of software, I just moved all the files I wanted to save on these drives, they were as just additional storage.
    The data is not worthy enough to pay to have it recovered. It was movies, music, video editing projects, pictures, programs
    , etc. , but it is valuable enough for me to try everything I can to get it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

So you did not "RAID" the two 250GB HDDs? I ask because I would expect something like this if you mirrored the two HDDs (software RAID1), then tried to change the OS controlling the RAID array.

3. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Someone else posted a similar problem last week? :shocked:

Windows XP Pro or home edition on the old drives. Which version XP on the new boot drive. If XP Pro setup the old drives and XP home is on the boot drive NTFS could be the older drives' format and XP home can't read that format.

I take it your designation of PATA drives are EIDE drives and SATA drives are serial ATA drives?

To be prudent one should remove old drives from a setup until you have everything loaded then re-install the old drives, it helps prevent these kind of issues.

Hook up one old drive at a time to look at it. And be sure to set the jumpers to cable select if that is the way they were originally, and have them on the same data connectors too.

Checked the BIOS to see if the drives ID ok?

Newer and larger drives can exhibit a serious timing issue when used with older drives and tie up the data lines. With what appears to be two identical drives it only takes one revision in the same product line to create this condition. The older drives will hang and they won't initialize properly.

If these things don't work you may have spiked them.

Worst case scenario, did you forget to pull the 110 VAC power cord off the power supply before removing power connectors from the drives and tearing apart and swapping everything? If not the 5 volt wake up voltage was still present and you could have damaged the drives' controller boards. Can you say bye bye data? Unless you find the same type and model of old drives and try to switch the drive electronics boards, check for revision and part numbers first.

Good luck.

:thumbsup: ;)

4. popnfresh

popnfresh

Raid is disabled.

All OS's are the same copy of XP home.

The PATAs are IDE and SATAs are sata2 and recognised as such by the BIOS.

During install of the OS on the 500GB drive, all other drives were detached until I confirmed that everything was working properly just to avoid this type of thing.

I have not changed the jumpers on the IDE yet they are still master/slave but, the master, the 80GB that is still working has no issues.
    I did try the SATA(no jumper) by itself with no luck.

Everything was unplugged, the mobo even has a LED to tell you when it is safe to remove hardware, I waited for that to go out, and I always ground myself and use a wrist strap.

I have a "Jack Sparrow" version of some recovery software running now, I'll see if it found anything when I get home. If I can recover my files I guess I'll give up on the mystery.

5. nosnim

nosnim 9mm wins.

What is the brand and model of the power supply you have?

4 HDDs plus all of the other components in your system could be very taxing on a weak or low end PSU which could result in some quirky issues like you are having.

I would say... a quality (Antec, FSP, Sparkle, OCZ, Enermax, Cosair) PSU is in order with at least 450 watts. 500 watts would be a better minimum though.

6. popnfresh

popnfresh

PSU is 600Watt don't remember the brand off the top of my head.

"Recover My Files" is finding my data, I got some pictures off from it. I'm going to have to play with the software some more, it claimed to have found 213,000GB(I look closely that's what it says) worth of .avi files, must be every movie I ever downloaded, converted, burned to dvd, and deleted. The oldest drive is only 2 years old, I don't see how there could be that much on there. I restarted it and now am just searching for pictures.

This weekend when I have time I will put the drives in my bedroom pc and/or my reloading room pc to see if one ofthose will see the drives properly.

I don't want to wade through 1000 recovered .avi files to find the 200-300 movies I actually want. There was also more than 2700 .txt files recovered, most of which were gibberish, I only had about 30 or so receipts that I really wanted.

I guess the recovery software is good, I had formatted both drives a couple weeks ago before adding the files I wanted to save, but it's finding everything.

7. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

You are welcome.

:upeyes:

8. popnfresh

popnfresh

What?.... Still in the middle of the unresolved problem here.