2 Awkward Situations

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RockMyKimber, Feb 4, 2010.

1. RockMyKimber

RockMyKimber

Removed

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

As you've posted this thread, I'm assuming you can't read minds. Why didn't you just ASK him what had changed?

3. RockMyKimber

RockMyKimber

Removed

4. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The top incident was the officer being a little over zealous in his "officer safety" routine but you never know who is good or bad in society. But argument could be made that a good guy wouldn't have told that he had a gun.

In the second instance you really don't have to frequent the man's home much anymore do you? Just don't go visit him. It is his home but you do't have to visit.:whistling:

5. maddyfish

maddyfish left this *****

1. Some cops are scared out of their minds of armed citizens. Most aren't, some are. You ran into one that was. To be perfectly honest, a lot of the wrong type of people, with the wrong temperment, are getting into law enforcement.

2. My suggestion is- concealed means concealed. Nobody should see it, or know it is there. Who knows why the change of heart on his part. Maybe the wife? Maybe he considers your gun handling to be poor. Doesn't matter it is his house. For any other house you enter, my suggestion is -- keep it concealed, and don't tell-- what they don't know, won't hurt them. Additional suggestion- unless required in your state, don't tell the cop you are armed.

6. legends13

legends13

Well, as for the cop, he was likely just being overly cautious. Not an excuse, but in that line of work, he probably just felt safer that way.

as for your inlaws, you first need to talk to your wife, as she is the one that would be in the middle of this. Then, after telling her your feelings about this, tell her, you would rather not go to thier house, as they are asking you to give up your right to self-preservation. She will either agree or not.... If she goes to her parents house next time without you, her parents will likely ask, "where is rockmykimber (don't know your real name)?" When she tells them you didn't want to visit because they don't like your gun in the house, 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. They will get mad, ask her what your problem is, and put your wife (thier daughter) in a very bad spot. This is why you need to address it with her first, or else YOU will be the one she gets mad at. If they act this way, your wife should say something like "He is my husband, and I agree with his decision. I will still visit, but rockmytimber will not"

2. Your inlaws will realize that this issue is something you feel strongly about, tell your wife to inform you they no longer care, and welcome you back as if nothing ever happened, and likely never mention it again.

The decision you need to make, is how important is this to you? Obviously as you posted this, it means something to you, but how much? Enough to risk an argument with your wife?

only you know....

7. fifty2you

fifty2you Bad guy

8. legends13

legends13

haha, as I was rereading what I just posted, i found it very interesting to picture your wife calling you, rockmytimber.... :rofl: sorry, i can revert to teenage mentallity sometimes...

9. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Don't break the law, and we won't have a reason to pull you over and hurt your feelings.

10. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

My opinion- The cop was over zealous, stuff happens.

Your father in law- Let it go. There are worse things in the world and having a potential argument over it isn't worth it. I value it too, but won't take it to a fight, if that is what it would come to. You probably don't visit a lot, but if you do maybe ask him why he changed his mind all of the sudden.

11. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Switch to a J-frame in the pocket during father-in-law visits, and, next time, just never mention it....

12. legends13

legends13

:upeyes:

yeah, cause we all know cops never pull anyone over that wasn't breaking the law....

I don't know how your state is, but here in NY, when you get a new vehicle (new to you) and go to register it, you need to take your vehicle to get inspected by a service center, within 10-days. They give you a white tag that you stick in the window where your real sticker would normally be.

The past 3 times I have had new cars, I have been pulled over within 3 days of registering the car. The first time it happened, I was pulled over in 1 town, then less then 30min later, pulled over again. I was let go everytime. Why can't the cop with the fancy computer, run my plate, see it was just regestered and go on his way, insstead of pulling me over to check?

so, please don't pretend everyone that gets pulled over has broken the law.

PS. I am not against Police Officers doing their job. I have 2 friends that are cops. But save me the holier than thou speech...

13. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

Great advice...if you want a family feud. What are you going to do if he happens to ask again..lie? Best to respect his wishes for whatever reason until he feels comfortable knowing you pack....everywhere.

14. Patchman

Patchman Florist

The times I visited NY, a couple of times I looked closely at cars with the "white sticker" in the windshield because I was curious. At least a couple of them were those light blue/grey coloured memo stickies, pretending. I remember laughing about the ingenuity of New Yorkers.

15. kensteele

kensteele

I'm not even sure why you posted this. People here will still insist on telling the police you have a firearm first before the police can even say anything to you.

And people will insist on telling everyone who will listen including their friends, neighbors, and relatives all about their guns even the concealed ones.

Reap meet sew.

8 billion people on the planet, how many (outside the internet) know that kensteele carries? 0

16. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

well put, I agree....

17. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

Let's see... you were disarmed by your own father-in-law and a police officer, someone who knows you and some who doesn't. Have you considered you may be giving off the wrong vibes?

It should concern you greatly that your father-in-law was nervous about not being able to defend himself against you.

It's time to pull out the mirror.

18. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Honestly, I was wondering the same thing. As I understand it, your father in law said he didn't want YOU to have a gun in his house because HE didn't have a gun? And was worried if "something would happen?" Is he worried that something would happen between the two of you? Or is he expressing his belief of simply not having guns (of any kind by anyone) in his home? The way you told the story is very strange for someone who is that close to you.

19. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

There are cops out there that take advantage of their job. They don't know you, they don't know your responsible or a criminal. Just go with it, your carrying a lethal weapon... even though they can overreact, depends on what kind of cop you get. There are great cops that don't take advantage of their jobs.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  20. RockMyKimber

RockMyKimber

Removed

Thanks for the comments guys, now back to your regular Glock Talk programming :wavey: