close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2 Ammo Questions

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by buckfever34, Aug 20, 2004.

1. buckfever34

buckfever34

Thanks in advance for any input. I have a coupel Q's...

1. What is the best shotgun deer sabots? I have a heavy barrel NEF .20 gauge and it is a tack driver. Last year I shot Copper Solids but I've heard good things about Lightfields and Winchester sabots as well. Anyone done any testing with deer sabots?????

2. Might get a chance to go deer hunting this year with my .308. It is a heavy barrel "tactical rifle." It will be a pain in the --- to pack around but it is very accurate. What ammo should I go with?

Thanks again guys, Clint Waskom

2. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Don't use slugs/shotguns, so I can't give an opinion on the sabots.

But I use a .308, and in my experience, the Federal Premium, 165gr BTSP loads are by far the most accurate with either of my .308s. Same goes for my .30-06... Fed Premium with 165s.

3. noway

noway

{1. What is the best shotgun deer sabots? I have a heavy barrel NEF .20 gauge and it is a tack driver. Last year I shot Copper Solids but I've heard good things about Lightfields and Winchester sabots as well. Anyone done any testing with deer sabots?????
    }

First off do you have a rifle barrel or choke. You will need that with a sabot. Don't let the non-slug guy tell you you can shot a sabot out of a smmoth bore with no rifling. It won't work.

As far as best, you have to get to the range and throw some down stream. Most of the stuff on the market today can group within 1-5" @100yrds in a typical slug shotgun.

You will have to determine whats best.Beadvise the 20ga won't have that big of selections but I'm sure most of the stuff out their will do just fine.

Here's a picture of a typical group that one of my 870s can do with a hasting 20" slug rfile barrel. This was shot at 100yrds off a rolled towel. The one flyer open the grouping but if I was shooting a deer it would still be dead. ;)

btw: I bough those brennekes at a Miejer Food store in Northern Detroit on a rack next to chips and jerky. ;f

4. noway

noway

5. buckfever34

buckfever34

thanks for the responses. The slug gun is a fully rifled, heavy barrel.
    Thanks again

6. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

Buy a box of each slug you want, shoot em and use what you like the best to hunt wiht, far as .308 goes, you dont need anything to impressive, probably the 150g corelock from remington or winchester powerpoint, agains, get a box of what you want to use and shoot it and shoot what works the best.

I have an A-Bolt in 7mm rem mag, and it shoots the 175g remington corelocks great, but only shoots okay with winchester supreme Nosler Ballistic Hallowpoinnts.

7. muddydog

muddydog

i've shot tons of slugs thru dozens of shotguns.

one thing stands out.

every brand of shotgun slugs has different widths of slugs. alot of brands wont shot well in various brands of shotguns.

the only way to test is too buy several brands as single packs and test them out.

my winchester 1300 black shadow slug barrel shoots winchester slugs extremely well but tosses remingtons and federals all over the place.

brenekke shoot good but not like the winchesters. the winchesters group 3-4 shots in a 2.5 inch pattern at 75 yards- open sights.

if the remingtons shoot well...by all means DONT MESS WITH YOUR LOAD.

as far as the .308 i hunt with winchester .180 gr silvertips. old school silvertips.

8. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

Winchester and Federal are okay. The Win Silver-tips would be my choice.

Do NOT get the Corelocks. They are a terrible on gmae performer. THey are un-reliable in general and have one of the worst track records of clean kills of any factory ammo. Anyone who recomends them has not done their research.

9. muddydog

muddydog

i posted somewhere on here about my own 1 time experience with 150gr 30-06 corelokt on a 102lb(dressed) whitetail at a distance of 10 yards.

it blew up on contact..virtually no internal damage. a massive shoulder wound about the size of my fist with only 1 -1.5 inches of penetration.

much to my dismay..the deer wouldnt die..i had no idea of the exact details of internal damage..i ended up shooting the deer in the neck.

that was in 1982..maybe they have gotten some better QC programs for close range shots, though.
    i just figured their slugs might be better.

10. buckfever34

buckfever34

Thanks for the replies so far...please, keep 'em comin!!!