2 1/2 Hr. trip turns into 8 Hr. trip/deaths

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DR. HOUSE, Feb 15, 2010.

1. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Me my fiance and my son went to Lincoln Nebraska last weekend to get out wedding bands picked out for our up comming wedding. Woke up sunday morning and I seen it snowing. It snows all the time in nebraska but I just had a bad feeling it was going to be a long day.

We were suppost to meet my mom and her husband for lunch at 11:00 am but I called her and told her the weather was getting bad, will have to meet another time. She lives an hour away and she said the weather was good there.(usually weather dosnt bother me but I felt the urge to get home)

Got on Interstate I-80 for the trip home. It was snowing relativly hard with a little wind, Visibility - 1Mile.

Speed limit is 75, was going around 50 because I know how other idiots drive out there and the weather was bad. Drove for around 45 Min, Wind picked up to around 30 MPH and visibilty was around 20-40 ft. Slowed speed to around 20 - 30 MPH.

Was almost rear ended buy sombody in an SUV that must have been going around 50 MPH. He swerved in the other lane and we started going into the median. Cursing begins for the day.

Some people started to use their heads. We started to travle in packs with our hazzards on going around 30 MPH.

Traffic came to a halt on the interstate. While we were sitting there we herd a huge "bang". A semi truck had rear ended another semi truck that in turn had hit a SUV directly behind us. I slammed the car into drive to avoid getting hit and pulled off onto the side of the road. (started to get pretty nervous) I got out after traffic settled down to see how far the traffic was backed up, walked around 100 yards and there was still traffic as far as the eye could see.

Wind gusts pick up to 45 MPH and visibilty is as little as 10 Ft. Drifts started to build up on the interstate. We had sat there for around 2 hours waiting. Coolant temp fell to around 100 from just sitting around in windchills around -15.

I finally decided to take a chance of getting stuck in the snow and crossed the median into the opposite lane heading back east. We then seen that traffic was backed up behind us for a good 3 miles. Who knows how many more wrecks there were behind us.

I had lived around this area for around 4 years so I had some knowledge of the back roads.

We got to the exit I wanted and got food and drinks. Preceded to head north bound to cut back west. Drove for only 4 miles to see the highway was blocked from a minivan rear ending a semi truck.

Headed back south to cut back west. Followed a fleet of vehicles for around 2 hours. Visibilty and wid was still the same. (still idiots passing us going 40 MPH. Seen lots of cars stranded on the sides of the roads. I got my family out of the snow storm after a grueling 6 hours on the road. I started to get the stomache flu at this point. I made my fiance drive the rest of the way as I was to sick to drive. Another 2 hours to home.

WHAT A DAY!!

I read on the news that there were more then 50 collisions and around 8 deaths. There was multi car/ semi truck pile-ups. The one ahead of us was around a 15 vehicle pile-up.

If I had known the weather was going to get worse, we would have stayed another night.

I know the good lord was looking out for my family yesterday.

Never been so happy to be home.

Sorry for the long write up. Thanks to those who read it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Glad you are OK. It was a really bad winter storm. Shut everything here down for 4 days!!!

3. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

good thing you made it.

I drove home in some crap in MN last night. All the blowing snow and drifts I had to drive through to get to may parents ended up loading the engine bay. About 6 miles from home the engine would run like crap off a stop sign. Had to drive an extra 3 miles to drive around one drift that was 3' high at its lowest point. It was over the hood of my truck on the right side of the road. Tried to start the truck the next morning and it would only turn over. No fire at all. Got it sitting in the shed with the furnace running. :-(

4. farley45

farley45

I got caught up in all that yesterday as well.

It is usually a 50 minute drive from Bellevue to Lincoln, but it took us around 6 hours.

We were able to get onto I80 heading west, and then came to a stand still and were forced off somewhere around Ashland. Only thing on the amber alert sign was there was a wreck and westbound was closed to a certain exit. Took a couple hours and we got through Ashland. Then another couple hours we ended up by the I80 speedway. Tried to get on I80W there, but it was shut down. So, I figured screw it I'm going to just head back east. Then I found out eastbound lane was shut down to, and there was no news of what the hell was going on or anything. Very frustrating. Nothing on the radio, nothing on any of the signs or anything. I wouldn't have sat in mostly stand still traffic for hours just to get to an I80 ramp that was closed if I would have known that in the first place!

I looked at my map and figured if I headed to the south I would run into 34 and could take that west into Lincoln. Well when I finally got onto 34 it was at a stand still for quite some time. After a ways I drove past an 8 car wreck that had already been cleaned up.

My fiancee and I finally got back to Lincoln, and thats when we found out that they decided to shut down both sides of I80 because of the weather conditions.

I didn't think it was all that bad at all. In the morning it snowed for a little bit, but it wasn't that long and not much accumlation. There are certain points where it gets icy and there is blowing snow and heavy gusts, but with a little common sense it is not difficult to drive through.

5. kueblerkt

kueblerkt

Wow...I almost went to Lincoln for work last night but one of the other guys ended up going instead. I'm glad I didnt, also glad you're ok.

The weather has sucked here for the last two months. Consecutive snow storms, howling wind, bitter cold temps.

Every winter I tell myself that I am going to move away from Nebraska soon...

6. skeeter1959

skeeter1959

Damn! Glad you made it.

7. okie

okie GT Mayor

I'm glad you made it home my friend, sorry you got sick though, I hope you get well quickly:angel:

8. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Thanks Okie, took the day off to heal up today. Should be good to go by tomorrow.

9. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Yeah, that sucked. I live in Omaha and we had a few city streets that were covered on sunday night.

I avoided the interstate on the way to work this morning. Waaay too many accidents for me.

10. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

We had a semi truck driver stop at the shop today to drop some stuff off. We got to talking about the weather and I told him about this story and he got offended.

"PEOPLE THAT GO 20 ON THE INTERSTATE CAUSE ALL THE WRECKS!"

I told him that you couldnt see but 20 ft in front of you, How can you justify going anywhere near the speed limit not knowing what might be in front of you.

He replied that people like me just need to stay the hell off the interstate then.

I couldnt believe it. I mean, I get what hes saying but WoW.

In my opinion, its people like him that go 75 in weather conditions like that that kill people.

At that speed, there is no way and no time to react giving the weather conditions. Especially when you will first see whatever your going to hit when its 20' in front of you.

Sure he will survive but dont people think about the other people on the road?

Stalled cars, stranded people, previous wrecks...........

With that visibilty thats like driving with no lights at night. Playing with death for someone.

I also found it funny that in all the accidents that happened, there was AT LEAST one semi truck involved.

Just for the record, we did get the hell off the interstate because of fear for people like him.

Im just at a loss of words..................

Just thought id share.

11. johnd

johnd

As a State Trooper we are all about traffic.
    However, people are so fffffkkkkkkggggg stupid I am almost scared to go out in my PV here....its dangerous enough in a CVPI with blue strobes on.
    And it never snows here.
    I have had people tailgate me, rear end me, side swipe me, run red lights in front of me, do drugs in front of me, you name it they do it and then some, all while driving a 4000lb chunk of metal.
    I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time just rolling over in my mind why people do what they do when they drive.
    The bright side of things is that when the stupid and the drunk go kill themselves we can breathe a little sigh of relief that they are now off the roads for good. Thats a good thing.

12. Rec4LMS

Rec4LMS

I don't understand people who can not grasp simple concepts... And those people are generally in positions to cause the most damage. :upeyes:

The snow in central Virginia was not as bad as the snow up your way. I tried to avoid what I could, but I am a mandatory employee and I still had to go in to work during a portion of the mess. My "half hour" drive ended up being two hours at one point. Of all the accidents I saw, all but one involved SUV's. Yes, a SUV can handle driving in the snow better than my car IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IT PROPERLY!

I had one SUV driver tailgaiting me while flashing their headlights and honking. :steamed: It was two lanes but the lane I was in had better ruts left in it, the next lane over looked as if it had not been driving in at all. So, I'm not going faster, and I'm going to drive even slower if the person behind me is tailgaiting. (Before you ask, I only eased off the accelerator slowly. I did not want any idiot to hit my car!) Finally, they passed me and took off like a rocket and got out of sight in seconds. I crested a hill and saw them turned around in the median, gunning the wheels in order to get unstuck. I didn't stop to help. :wavey:

13. Big House

Big House Biggest member

Paid by the mile, not by the hour.