close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2,000 House staffers make six figures

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by StarShip2100, Mar 26, 2010.

1. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/35050.html

And why shouldnt they? Are they not just exploiting an income in a capitalistic society that is willing to pay them that much? Is it their fault they have such high earnings? They do, afterall, have to work day and night and the cost of private healthcare will be up in the next few years.

from the text:

“These are people who could be making a lot more money in the private sector, but they choose to work here,” said Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly, who also makes $172,500. “Often some of the junior-level staffers make $25,000 a year and work very long hours. They’re certainly not being overpaid. Many of these people have a great deal of expertise.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/35050.html#ixzz0jHjTnI4R

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. devildog2067

devildog2067

While I agree that the very structure of government makes it difficult to determine what these people are worth (it not being a free market) I think that the statement "they could be making a lot more money" is 100% true.

Harvard Management Company, the fund that manages Harvard's endowment, was run by Jack Meyer until 2005. He left, in large part, because of the furor over his pay--he together with his top 5 managers made $80 million in their last year at HMC--and Harvard promptly stopped making the huge returns that he was known for. He went and started his own fund and makes a ton more money now. He might have been making a ton more money than anyone else at the university, certainly more than any professor, but clearly he was worth that money. I think you could say the same for these staffers. Anytime you find someone doing something for less pay than they could be making, you have to look for the reason. While I'm sure some of them are doing it for the love of personal power, I'd like to believe that at least some are doing it because they believe in the American system of government, and feel like they are serving their country.

FYI, flag officers in the military make 6 figures too. There are 919 of them in the military... while I'm sure there are more worthless Capitol Hill staffers than there are excess flag officers, it does raise some eyebrows that we have as many flag officers today, in our 1.4 million person Armed Forces, as we had in WWII when they commanded 12 million GIs.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010

3. Steve0853

Steve0853

Six figures is not really that much when you are talking about a Fed gov't employee. Even a janitor with 5-10 years seniority is gonna be knocking down some serious money.

4. Fungunner

Fungunner

And why not, these are the people who stick around Capitol Hill, writing the legislation. They hop from congressman to congressman, getting a new gig after elections. They are the people behind the legislators.

5. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

These are the actual "lawmakers". You don't think Sonny Bono's wife and Barney Frank actually sit down behind a laptop and write bills do you?

6. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

Housing prices have always been dreadful around D.C. Well, since the '60s anyway. A Fairfax County teacher with an MA can make up to $88,708 on the shortest contract.

www.fcps.edu/DHR/salary/scalepdfs/fy10/FY2010_194-day_teacher.pdf

First year with a BA starts at $44,389.

Virginia government jobs around D.C. pay $20k to $25k more per year in the middle pay bands. And you get to sit in traffic for hours and hours, too.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

DevilDog,

How are you defining flag officers? O7 and above in all branches, or just USN flag officers?

'Drew

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

Anyone who wears stars, O7 and up. I googled for a bit and found the number, I won't swear to its accuracy but it seems reasonable.

10. pugman

pugman

I'll ask. Since when should local housing prices have anything to do with how much I am worth? By that very logic I should move to 90210 take a job mowing lawns and get paid $150,000 a year?

Bren, I think you and I are the only ones who see this as a problem.

I thought politicans were all supposed to be about "public service." $172,500 is only quoting a salary....what about their pensions...their gold plated healthcare coverage? Remember Kennedy getting flown to Minnesota for cancer treatment. Do you think the average federal employee or taxpayer would ever get this sort of treatment.

Point of fact: $172,500 puts them in the top 5% of wage earners in this country. They have office budgets, access to campaign funds, party funds, etc. A U.S Congressman or Senator is nothing more than a rock star; and rock stars at least produce music

The very fact they admit staffers make $25,000/year, work long hours and say "they're certainly not being overpaid" screams the simple truth...they are underpaid. $25k translates to just over $12/hour.....my local McDonalds starts people at a higher wage than that.

And lets not forget the favors? My first cousin was a U.S Congressman for 8 years...left...became an ambassador...and finally landed a very cushy private sector running a nonprofit...all without lifting a finger.

The reason a lot of these people don't move to the private sector to get paid more is once they were out there...most would be fired inside of a year.

11. JW1178

JW1178

Here is the thing about government employees, and also what annoys me about them. Initially they do make less on their paychecks than most people in the private sector, and usually don't make any real money like bonuses and such, but that's where that ends. As long as they are "satisfactory" in their work, they get promoted based upon how long they work there. The healthcare and other benifits are usually better than the private sector. Most look at nice retirement packages, and staying is easier because you aren't worked that hard, and like I said before, you just have to do the basic requirements and you get an A, and your job is much more secure in events such as a bad economy. The only thing you really have to be careful about is that you don't say anything that isn't politically correct or offend a minority in any way.

Private sector, your pay might be higher, but you could lose your job tomorow if the company goes under. You pay more for benifits, and they usually aren't as good. You have to be GOOD just to keep your job, and EXCELLENT if you want a promotion. Retirement, not much from most companies today. Well, at least you can make jokes about Obama without reprisals, usually, and perhaps keep a firearm on your area without commiting a felony.

12. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

Yes but all of those flag officers have to put in decades worth of very long hours, multiple tours in locations far from their family, most have a conflict or two under their belts, etc. just to reach that position and make those six figures at the sunset of their careers.

I have never had a problem with what they make. Flag officers make six figures but don't come close to what members in Congress make. Of course there might be some very worthless positions/people but even the most worthless officer works harder than the hardest working staffer or Congressman.

13. dac1204

dac1204

I think Okie :wavey: would disagree with you there.