close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1st timer - Going to Orlando

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Jon17, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Jon17

Jon17

I'm signed up for my first GSSF shoot in Orlando next month. I could use any advice anyone has to offer. Never shot in any formal competition before. I'm entered in the amateur civilian (G17) and amateur subcompact (G26). I have 8 mags for the 17 and 4 for the 26. Planned on shooting cheap WWB value pack ammo (bad idea?). Besides ear muffs and glasses, what else might I need?

Will have my wife with me and don't know if I should bring her or not. Do many people do this? Plan on shooting Saturday only if it works out.

Thanks.

2. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

The WWB ammo is fine, I use it and have done ok with it. One of the top shooters in this sport uses it and wins a lot of guns with it.

Lots of guys bring there wives and some of the wives shoot the match as well.

As far as what to bring, well that's kind of an individual thing. I personally follow the minimalist approach, but I've seen some guys use a hand cart to carry all the stuff they bring. Besides the obvious like guns, mags, safety stuff and ammo I usually bring a couple of granola bars, some water (because there may not be any available at the range), a chair to sit on because you may be there a while, a rain poncho and some ibuprofen.

The first thing you need to do when you show up is go to the registration table and get signed in and watch the safety video. Your wife will also have to sign a liability waiver. Once you get your score sheets go around to each of the three stations which are the Glock M, Five to Glock and Glock the Plates and put your name on the sign in sheets as soon as you can, this will get you through the match much quicker. You may have to turn in your sheets at each stage when you sign up, but I'm not sure since I have shot a match since October and things kind of changed with the scoring since then.

The best advice I can give you is to just relax, shoot and read these links before you go. Do what the guys recommend in the links and you'll be all set!

http://www.sportshooter.com/GSSF/sg_tipsfromthepros.htm

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145777

I just looked at your location and saw that you're from Ohio. That's a long way to travel, you may want to think about entering more than just Am/Civ and Subcompact and getting as much bang for your buck as you can. I personally shoot in five categories. Am/Guardian, Subcompact, Competition, Master Stock and Unlimited. Now I know I'm not gonna win in Master Stock and Unlimited but I shoot them to get warmed up before I shoot the three that I actually stand a chance in.

You ever see kickers at a football game kicking into the nets before they do the real thing? Same theory applies here. Besides it's good practice.

Good luck man!

3. MarcD

MarcD

jon,
    You'll love it, I shot in jacksonville a couple of weeks ago in my first match, I can't wait till the orlando match!!!!!!! See you there!!!!!!!
    MarcD

4. Jon17

Jon17

Thanks for all the detailed information, Dale. I would have definitely forgot the ibuprofin. I would consider entering another division, but I don't think it would help a lot given my lack of experience and practice. I'm looking at this as a way to find out what I need to do to become competitive someday. I'm not a bad bullseye shooter but this looks much different.

In terms of bang for the buck, I'm actually mixing business with pleasure. I've got some clients in NC I plan on meeting with on the way down (during the week prior to the match) and back and am trying to set up some meetings in FL (have one so far). With all the wireless hotspots available (like all of the Paneras), I can pretty much take care of business with a laptop and cell phone. So, I can get away from the cold (it's 1 degree right now as I type), my wife gets to go to FL (she loves FL), I get to shoot, I can still get my work done with current clients, and I can write a lot of it off. If I can pull this off, I'd like to do the same kind of trip for other GSSF matches. Anybody want a free lunch in FL to discuss business?

And, see you in Orlando, MarcD.

Jon

5. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Winchester White Box is good stuff and I won a pistol in sub compact category with it in Orlando last year.

My wife often attends but has yet to shoot. I am working on that aspect.

One bit of "gamesmanship" advice...the sub compact category allows you to use any factory GLOCK magazine that will fit the pistol provided it is not equipped with a grip adapter. I have a bunch of 10 round G17 magazines I preload for the match and I shoot my G26 in all the catagories. The full size magazine allows me to have a better grip on the little pistol in each catagory. I used to shoot multiple pistols and different sized magazines. Now I have simplified by using the G26 for everything and the full size magazines in the G26.

I purchased a portable bag seat that goes over my shoulder. I always carry 100 rounds of ammo for each catagory I shoot along with the 12 to 16 magazines I have. The pistol is either holstered or bagged in the portable seat. It is very nice to use the portable seat as the range bag and have a guarenteed seat at the match when waiting. It holds the water bottle and a candy bar as well. Less to carry! :)

6. jfl

jfl

I am going to show my lack of knowledge again;P <p>Why would you need ibuprofen for ???

7. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Well listening to Fireglock for any length of time will cause a headache! :)

8. GJM89

GJM89

Owww,that's harsh,quite true but harsh none the less. ;Q ;Q ;Q

9. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Damn you guys are harsh. :)

10. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Jon17,

Welcome to your first GSSF match!!!

If you have any questions and see any of our Team CARVER Mount team members, please feel free to ask anyone of them and they will be glad to assist you. Our team members will be wearing red CARVER Mount team shirts and wearing blue caps.

Good luck and safe shooting,
    Bobby Carver

11. Jon17

Jon17

Thanks, Bobby. I'll keep an eye out for all of you.

12. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

We will be there in large numbers and more than happy to assist.