Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need your help please! Ive always avoided those things and my current flip is about to go. A single charge used to get me about 3 weeks of use. It seems all of you smart users are constantly needing to charge your phone, which makes me leery. I dont facebook,twitter or feel the need surf the net on a cell phone. My wife has an Iphone and says she knows nothing about android. So here are my needs. Long battery life, text, easy to use, small size, camera and ability to expand a photo. The only time ill need the net is to check the weather radar on the lake or treestand. I spend a lot of time in a remote part of the state that has no cell signal, at least with verizon. So which phone should i get. thanks for your time.

·
Mentally Frozen
28,564 Posts
I have no idea which phone you should get, but I love the Moto G5 plus. I think the non plus model is smaller.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I'm using the motorola moto g7, but it depends on what carrier you use and stuff.

I use total wireless with unlocked phones. It uses verizon towers. I pay $37 a month for unlimited talk, text, and 5 gb data.

There are pros and cons of iphones and androids. If your wife is familiar with iphones it might make more sense to get one. Some of their features are more intuitive.

Apple just came out with a new Iphone SE(2020) that is one of the smallest smart phones available now. That will probably be my next phone.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So on a complete charge, how long does it last? thanks

I'm using the motorola moto g7, but it depends on what carrier you use and stuff.

I use total wireless with unlocked phones. It uses verizon towers. I pay $37 a month for unlimited talk, text, and 5 gb data.

There are pros and cons of iphones and androids. If your wife is familiar with iphones it might make more sense to get one. Some of their features are more intuitive.

Apple just came out with a new Iphone SE(2020) that is one of the smallest smart phones available now. That will probably be my next phone.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
So on a complete charge, how long does it last? thanks
That's hard to say, it depends on use. I use my phone a lot for GPS, playing music, browsing, etc. I always get a day out of it, but not doing those things it might go two days. I don't think any smart phone will get you three weeks of use.

If you're not using one now I say stick with the flip phone, get a new one and don't get sucked into a smart phone. I've been tempted to ditch the smart phone but I use it too much for work, I got sucked in and can't get away from it.

Reactions: ruffhunter

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
My iPhone battery will last all day if I plug it in when using Google Maps in the car. Sounds like the new iPhone SE would be good for you. If you spend a little time stationary during you might consider a wireless charger - just plop your phone when it’s available.

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
10,036 Posts
I don't use my iphone much. I can go several days before I have to charge it. The more you use it, the more often you will need to charge it.

·
Registered
25,972 Posts
It would be hard to find a new phone that did not have the features you want.

It would be like saying - I want a pickup truck -

I need it to have seats, a bed, a steering wheel, tires and an engine.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If you are often in an area that does not get a cellular signal, you might want to consider a satellite phone. While expensive, they have come down significantly in cost in the last few years.

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,557 Posts
iPhone 7. Can stretch to two full days on a charge. If you don’t play games or music, even longer. The new batteries are really something. SheWhoMustBeObeyed has the 11 max and using the hell out of it can go three days.

·
Permanent Noob
1,008 Posts
Get an Android if you have control issues and like lots of buttons, get an I-phone if you just want it to 'work' and don't care how.

Hard to go wrong now-a-days, it doesn't sound like you need the latest-greatest. Phones aren't really 'phones' anymore. Think of it like a little computer that you can add any programs too (apps) that you want.
Get a basic, inexpensive phone and spend some time messing with it. It will seem like a time machine coming from a flip!

·
Registered
25,972 Posts
Get an Android if you have control issues and like lots of buttons, get an I-phone if you just want it to 'work' and don't care how.

Hard to go wrong now-a-days, it doesn't sound like you need the latest-greatest. Phones aren't really 'phones' anymore. Think of it like a little computer that you can add any programs too (apps) that you want.
Get a basic, inexpensive phone and spend some time messing with it. It will seem like a time machine coming from a flip!

I sometimes find myself sitting at my desktop PC - keyboard & full size monitor 12" away - but I am using my iPhone to read GT or check the latest news - whatever --

The other day I checked the weather on my phone and discovered it was raining outside - the screen on my iPhone app shows rain falling in the background when it is raining - I was 5 feet from a window I could have just looked out.

BTW - I never use the phone while at a restaurant or while driving --

·
Registered
13,257 Posts
I was an early adopter and had one of the first iPhones.
It was an amazing piece of equipment but as time progressed I find that I like it less and less.
I think it has a lot to do with the mindless smartphone zombies that abound everywhere I go.

I find myself leaving my phone at home more and more all the time.
Even when I do carry it, I pretty much only use it as a phone and don't keep any important info on it and consider it foolish to do so.

The primary reason I have not gone back to a flip phone is because I use my iPhone to monitor weather radar when I am on my motorcycle. For that it is a valuable tool.
GW_Phone_Mount.jpg

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
An iPhone SE (2020 model) sounds about right for you. It's a good value and since the processor is the same as their latest iPhone it should be supported for quite a while. Since your wife has an iPhone she should be able to help if you have issues using it I would think.

As far as long lasting battery, it's probably better to just plan on charging it every night.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I've had Android phones, and I've had iPhones, and without question iPhones are simpler to use, and rarely suffer the freezing of the screen or other "lock ups" that seemed common with my Android phones. Adding apps on an iPhone has the added advantage of knowing that Apple exercises at least some degree of control of what is available at the Apple Store so you will not end up with some fake app planting a virus or other malware on your phone. No such assurance when adding an app from Google Play for the Android. iPhone has the Facetime feature, no available on Android phones. Very nice feature to use with young children or grandchildren, much more meaningful as a way to communicate rather than just talking on a phone. And when it comes to Bluetooth compatibility, for whatever reason I was always having trouble with the Android phones linking up with the Bluetooth in my vehicles, but with the iPhones this feature worked easily and consistently. I don't see any downside with the iPhone as compared with its competitors.

·
Señor Member
10,051 Posts
There is supposedly a new I-Phone called the SE, which has the same speed 'chip' as the one with 3 cameras, but doesn't have all the apps. Supposed to be much smaller and cheaper.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
my dad uses his Garmen GPS with him into the woods. it doesn't have weather info, but he doesn't need cell towers to use it. he still uses his flip phone for calls, but often, he is hunting in places where there is no coverage.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts