1st time hunting ????

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by jolt8me, Oct 3, 2005.

1. jolt8me

jolt8me Your the devil

Heres the situation. I've never hunted. My family doesnt hunt. None of my friends hunt.
    I've thought that being able to hunt and get my own food would be a good skill to learn. If i was stuck in the woods and got an animal i would not have the first idea on how to eat it. A skill that i think a lot of modern men have lost.
    Heres my question. Does anyone know of a good web site that shows how to gut an animal? I'm going to start off hunting rabbits. I have never gutted an animal and dont know the first thing about it.

2. noway

noway

You can do a search in this forum or using any of the web search sites and look up fied dressing & quartering a deer and apply it to your wabbit. Just remember it's smaller and would be quicker todo ;)

Basically all 4 legs animals are similiar and any dressing technique would be applicalable. If you had to disect a frog or fetal pig in H.S ( yes we did both in mine ;) ) then you can easily disect any animal.

One hint, "Make sure your knife is sharp'. It makes your job much easier and safer.

Also I congrats you on taken up this hobby and stick with it and you are doing things right, Start small and then work up to bigger size animals.

3. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

With a rabbit you don't even have to cut it to skin it. Just pull the skin off.

4. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

You may want to get a subscription to some outdoor magazines. FUR-FISH-GAME magazine is one of the better ones. Peruse the local used bookstores for books on hunting & fishing. Lots of bargains there and the old books are good.

Also consider joining a local hunting & fishing club. You will get a chance to find some hunting partners there.

5. Weezer

Weezer

Welcome to the sport. I've been duck/deer hunting for years, and I'm still learning. Do yourself a favor when learning to dress an animal; don't cut into the bladder or stomach. Peeeyeeww!

6. jolt8me

jolt8me Your the devil

I went to borders and barnes and noble today. They have a small small small amount of books on hunting and most of those are fiction. They have nothing about field dressing. I also went to a used book store and found nothing. The only thing i could find was a web page on the web that gave a brief description and had some illustrations that left out some body parts that were described. Can anyone recommend a good book or anything that deals with small game as opposed to deer or elk?

7. nognig

nognig

8. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

Aw man, don't you guys go to BassPro shop? They have videos and DVD's on skinning and prepping game animals for the table and for survival consumption.
    They've got an excellent 2 video set called something like "Survival Basics" which covers everything from basic trapping and survival methods of game collecting to outdoor skinning and cooking.
    The vids also cover wayfinding in the woods and desert, and making a shelter, collecting water, etc...
    If there isn't a BassPro Shop near you, you can order all this stuff online.
    I bought a video there a few years back called 'Field dressing your deer' that taught me a few neat tricks to keep the meat fresh until it gets to the processing house. The video was made by a deer hunting meat butcher.
    Good stuff there. Check it out.