Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got out my trusty model 35 for my 1st steel challenge and 1st competition in about 8 years. Lightning Strike trigger, KKM 2 port comp barrel, Glockmeister mount with a new Burris Fastfire 3. I had a Gilmore LG35 on it but had to upgrade to a newer dot to keep from getting laughed off the range. I'm a little rusty and ended up 5th in class and 13th of 44 overall. Quite a few of the guys were running scoped .22's and pistol cal carbines. I was happy with only having to make up 2 missed shots in this 125 round match.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks impact! This was my first attempt at making and editing a video. I got a generic Gopro mounted on my boonies hat.:cowboy:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Your description of the G35 is quite detailed and better explains why I was almost laughed off the range last summer when I showed up at a local USPSA Steel Challenge match with my Gen4-26 and three magazines. Literally, there were guys there with $2,000 race guns laughing at me and my gun and my custom t-shirt, which reads - "Education is important, but beer is importanter."

By the end of the match I'd had to borrow some 9mm reloads, had my first squib ever and quit without completing the last couple stages. However, the laughter had turned into a few of the 'boys' marveling at what could be accomplished with a $500 bone-stock pocket pistol. I think a few of them were re-thinking their choice of guns and realizing that I was better equipped for dealing with a violent encounter in the real world.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steel matches are great fun. Here's one of mine with a Scorpion .22

Nice runs! If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em. The next match is in 2 weeks and I'm taking my Ruger Mk2 with the Fastfire mounted on it. I should be able to run with the big dogs then.:dog:

·
NRA Life Member
29,081 Posts
Steel matches are great fun. Here's one of mine with a Scorpion .22

Nice runs! If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em. The next match is in 2 weeks and I'm taking my Ruger Mk2 with the Fastfire mounted on it. I should be able to run with the big dogs then.:dog:
Yep, that one was funny. The RO thought the timer was missing some shots because of the time and asked me to do a do-over. Of course the second run was quicker.

:animlol:

wp

Reactions: Ghost RiderXB9R

·
NRA Life Member
29,081 Posts
Thanks impact! This was my first attempt at making and editing a video. I got a generic Gopro mounted on my boonies hat.:cowboy:
Where at in Ohio was the match; I was in Marietta, but don't remember an "Ed's " close by?

wp

·
NRA Life Member
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There you go again. You shot a local steel match, not the Steel Challege. This is the real steel challenge
9 bi 45, You need to get a life. Did you notice I'm new here and have not been competing for a while? I came to this forum to have some fun, share stories and make some new friends. The match I was in was called "Ed's Steel Match" The 3 hours I was there it was called Steel Challenge. FTFY!

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Yea, I saw it was called "Ed's" which is correct, at least he is not knocking off the real Steel Challenge for newbies. And you need to know the difference in competition venues if you are serious about competing in competition venues and not just ha, ha,

by the way I ride also, 2008 GoldWing, but I don't call it a Crotch Rocket, it's a heavy Cruiser.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I saw it was called "Ed's" which is correct, at least he is not knocking off the real Steel Challenge for newbies. And you need to know the difference in competition venues if you are serious about competing in competition venues and not just ha, ha,

by the way I ride also, 2008 GoldWing, but I don't call it a Crotch Rocket, it's a heavy Cruiser.
I'm a ha, ha type of shooter that just likes hanging out with the guys and gals at the range. I'll try and get up to speed on my competition terminology.
You need to do the same with motorcycle terminology. I'm glad you don't call your Gold Wing a crotch rocket. It's not. It's also not a Cruiser, it's a Touring bike.:motorcycle:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The good thing about shooting the true Steel Challenge is that there are only 8 courses of fire. Therefore you can practice them to get good shooting them. They also allow .22 rimfire pistol and rifles, PCC's and then the normal other classes ie: open, limited, single stack etc.

·
Premium Member
22,809 Posts
The good thing about shooting the true Steel Challenge is that there are only 8 courses of fire. Therefore you can practice them to get good shooting them. They also allow .22 rimfire pistol and rifles, PCC's and then the normal other classes ie: open, limited, single stack etc.
That's the good and the bad. One of my clubs runs an official steel challenge and a non-official "real deal steel" match. I typically only attend the latter anymore. I like variety in my stages.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the September match with my best run of each stage. My Ruger Mk 2 has the 6 7/8 barrel with a SS comp. It's a little bit barrel heavy.
I took one of the guys from work to this for his first competition. He had a Glock 32. The 1st guy in our squad had some times under 3 seconds. The "what did I get myself into?" look on his face was priceless!:laughabove:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts