1st GSSF MATCH, what division should shoot?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Digger37, Nov 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Digger37

Digger37

Hello everybody,

Entering my 1st GSSF Match at Talledega, AL on 11/12 & 11/13.

I'll be shooting a 30S and 21, 45 calibers.

What divisions or class should I enter? I'm not sure how they are all set up. I thought about compact and heavy metal???

Your input and advice is welcomed.

Thank you,

2. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

From my understanding, you can shoot in pretty much every division with the 30s except for pocket glocks.

jab likes this.

3. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

4. njl

njl Crusty Member

Depends on your skill level and confidence. With the 21, you should definitely shoot Heavy Metal. With the 30S, you could shoot anything but pocket Glock, but I'd suggest either Subcompact or MajorSub. MajorSub, you have 7 shots for 6 plates. Not much room for error.

5. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

If it were me, I would shoot heavy metal and civilian with the 21 and major sub with the 30. I am shooting Talladega. If you want to try several different Glocks, send me a PM. You are welcome to shoot my guns and I will furnish ammo and mags.

misunderestimated likes this.
  6. papercidal

papercidal

At one point I was only shooting my g30 for gssf and I shot civilian ,heavy metal, sub compact and major sub with the one gun. I used a 21 for heavy metal and civilian my first couple matches but found that my times with the g30 where much better so I went to using only the 30. I have since bought more guns and spread the divisions out between several guns but the 30 is still my best shooter.

7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

and most important for you

one of you will win a Free Glock!!

8. ohiojim

ohiojim

Which divisions don't matter too much. The course of fire is the same for all. Most important is to have fun.

bambambam, Jsferrazza and Taroman like this.
  9. Digger37

Digger37

Thanks for all the feedback and replies. I am still unclear about how many rounds/bullets I get on each stage with the different divisions. Example with Heavy Metal your get 11 rounds, but my Glock 30S only has 10 rounds max. How do you get to the 11?

Thinking about shooting my 21 in heavy metal and my 30 in either civilian amateur or sub compact.

I am planning on enjoying the day though. Looking forward to it!

10. youngann

youngann Pistol People

There are a couple of different ways. One is to designate a magazine as a stripper mag. Load it into the gun, charge the gun and remove the magazine. Then you can add your ten round magazine to it. If you don't have a spare mag to use for that, simply load your ten round mag, charge the gun, remove the mag and add one round to it before returning it to the gun.

11. ohiojim

ohiojim

You c
    You can use the mags from your 21 in your 30.

12. wlkjr

wlkjr

From my experience, the 30s is extremely difficult to get 11 rounds in with the standard 10 round mag. It's much easier with a G21 thirteen round mag.

Digger37 likes this.
  13. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

If you want to use your ten round mags on the plates and Glock M where you are allowed 11 rounds, carry an extra magazine. When told to load and make ready, insert that mag, chamber a round, remove it and set it aside and then load a ten round mag. Keeping it in your off hand pants pocket or having a piece of tape on the baseplate helps keep it from getting into the mix of mags you are shooting the match with.

In most cases, unless you shoot the gun completely empty trying to hit a plate or popper that isn't cooperating, you will finish with a round in the chamber after the first string so you only have to do it once. If you do shoot dry, just use the extra mag again to load the 11th round.

If you do use the full sized mags and load them with 11 rounds, remember that at some point you will not use all 11, leaving you with a round in the chamber. I strip one round out of the next mag and put it in my pocket if I am loading a second 11 round mag to avoid having twelve rounds loaded.