close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1st gssf match - play or watch?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by lajones, Feb 25, 2010.

1. lajones

lajones

I joined gssf a few months ago basically to get the discount on a new gun, but after reading the info in the packet the matches sound like a lot of fun! There is one in my area in a few weeks so I am going to go check it out...question is whether to just watch and learn or join in the fun???

2. Jon_R

Jon_R

Shoot at least two divisions. Civilian and Competition. Shoot competition first to get the butterflies out then Civ.

There is no reason not to. The matches are pretty simple. Watch a couple shooters then shoot. I doubt you will get advice to not shoot on this forum. :)

3. deathpriest

deathpriest

I missed the Orlando one but, my plan was to bring along 150 rds and my a G19. I really wanted to play :)
    Godspeed

Blessings,

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

If you go to watch

TAKE YOUR GLOCK AND AMMO!

That way you won't have to

drive all the way home to get them.

5. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

If you go to watch and don't bring your Glock, you'll regret it. Just shoot it.

6. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Without a doubt... shoot it. Jon_R's advice is dead on, sign up for 2. You can shoot them back-to-back, or if you want time for the first try to "settle in" before shooting the 2cd, you could have then put 4 or 5 shooters before your next one.

That way, you can settle down, calm yourself, think about what you should've/could've done, and just enjoy yourself.

No way would I recommend that ANYBODY just go to watch, unless it's a wife/child who doesn't shoot. If you've shot much at all, you'll have a blast.

Review the rules thoroughly, watch some others, and have fun.

7. netmage2112

netmage2112

I'm fairly new to shooting regularly - so I suck...

With no access to fancy outdoor target setups and most places not allowing rapid fire...
    What would you recommend for practice.... What size\pattern target - at what distance...?

i.e. single bull, one w/ multiple bull's so your having to re-acquire, etc...

8. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

The least inexpensive targets are the cheap paper plates you get at the discount stores. They are about 8" in diameter and that is the area that will not get you any extra seconds added to your score. The longest distance you will shoot in any GSSF event is 25 yards. So practice shooting the paper plates out to 75 feet and that will get you ready for a GSSF match.:supergrin:

Dan:cool:

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

missing fast won't help you!

Take your time , Take your time.......

10. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Take your gear 'cause after you watch you're gonna wanna shoot. Don't forget to let the armorer go through your guns/mags while you're there. It's free.

GSSF Life member

11. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I shoot at an indoor range, and I do not get to do *any* "fancy outdoor target setups". Yet I took 3rd place in Columbia, SC ($75) and have shot in the low 70s (a pretty decent score).

I mostly practice double taps (if you can't shoot a double-tap where you go, then yeah... you might be at a disadvantage). I print out 7" circles on 8x10 paper. I tape TWO on the opposite edges of the cardboard backing. I go from "low ready" and shoot a double-tap on one target, and then transition to the right target, and double tap that. I do a BUNCH of these at 10-15 yards, and then finish up with some at 20-25 yards. These I shoot much slower as I want my "A" hits (or whatever GSSF calls them).

It might be "nice" to be able to setup a full course outside for practice, but I really don't think it's necessary at all. Double-taps as fast as you can shoot them are necessary, as well as transitions. Learning how FAST you can double tap at distance (my 25 yard double-tap is considerably slower than my 7-yard double tap) is key. Shoot the closer targets faster than you do the further ones, that comes from practice.

Of course... I reload and shoot something like 2000 rounds per month. That helps. :supergrin:

12. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Good call I recomended this to Justintoofast and it worked perfectly for his 1st time... he was able to just blast away at Lethal Weapon speed in Comp... to get it out of this system... then when he shot AM/Civ the same day he did much better.

13. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

I drove from Charleston, SC to Richmond, Va to watch my first match. Yea, I shot it and, I think you should too.

Shoot just one division if you want. TAKE YOUR TIME shooting too and, have fun. Best money I ever spent.

14. lajones

lajones

Sounds like some good advice, thanks guys.

ron59, actually I am the wife, but I'll bring my husband along too. :~)
    We both shoot and have had glocks for about 12 years, just never joined gssf until recently...sounds like fun...

15. jdwatson

jdwatson

Morganton, NC was my first match. I got the same advice when I asked, bring your glock. I was glad that I had heeded the advice. One match and I was hooked. :)

16. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

My wife and I were spectators at the Creedmore, NC match last year. We'll be shooting @ Morgantown.

17. dking1

dking1

Do both...go early, sign-up, then watch several people run through each stage..then play. You can learn a lot just by standing close enough to ear the range commands, see the methods of proper gun handling & the basic flow. This will make your first match educational as well as possibly give you some pointers on what you think would work best for you. Hope this helps :wavey:

Sidenote-carrying an extra set of car keys and ammo isn't a terrible idea...:faint: learn from my mistakes...:embarassed:

18. jdwatson

jdwatson

or wearing boots so you can push cars from the muck...

19. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

or you can do like Scott did (above and beyond the call of duty)

just wade in and lift them out.

20. SCC

SCC just me

watch a person shoot the match
    then shoot the match ...
    and help paste the targets
    as you do both

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010