1st experience with 00 Buck and slugs

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by ilpirata, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

I'm a shotgun guy. The only time someone really tried to break into the house - he gained entry into the attached garage - he took off like a hare in the briar patch when I racked the 870 and swept the garage. (To this day I'm glad I didn't have to shoot anyone. It would not of been pleasant). Anyway, the response LEO thought my 870 leaning up in the corner was great!

MSP Sarge likes this.
  2. J_Rico

J_Rico

Tried this last week when I was at the range.

Very useful. Thanks for posting.

Mr Meeseeks and willie_pete like this.

3. Z71bill

Z71bill

Remington Supercell Recoil Pad

The hard rubber thing at the end of the stock on an 870 needs to be replaced -

Been shooting shotguns for over 50 years and never had any issue - the 870 with an 18" barrel and a few boxes of slugs and buck shot left me bruised -

Yes holding the gun correctly helps - but this solved the issue -

byf43 likes this.
  4. ilpirata

ilpirata

Thanks. One of the parts I ordered for a LE trade-in 870 was the Supercell pad. I didn't need it but I might put a synthetic stock on my old 870 and install it.

5. BrentC

BrentC

Any videos you recommend for fitting a shotgun?

6. Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

I have yet to sight in my red dot I put on my turkey gun. kicks the living snot of you after going thru a small box.
    I got some Winchester PDX 1 slug and buckshot combo loads for my house gun.

7. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

Patrick Kelley. He is a good friend and does a good job on the basics of fit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKVQiBFvCmg

I'd suggest a different one for clay sports, but the principles are the same. Patrick also has the same info in an article.

8. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

I started out hunting (as a teenager) first 12 ga I used once I grew into it was my dad's Ithaca 37 featherweight.
    Fortunately it was a natural fit for me. But it kicked like a mule with magnum bird shot and slugs.

Through practice (trial and error) I found the right technique.
    Pheasant hunting light clothing so draw and clear my jacket place in shoulder hold itght. The shell was not too strong so that would work. If I was slightly off then could get a bruise.
    Slug deer hunting. Used the top of the teciever as rear front bead as front sight but wore heavy coat. Worked ok
    As adult practice at the range used a limbsaver slipo .
    Never used a cheekweld like a montecarlo stock so only potential bruising was by placing stock butt on the arm or other than in the shoulder.
    The video with the push pull technique is a very good idea. My technich for bird hunting I would rightly hold the fore stock pump mainly to control the reload pump and get read for another shot. Inadvertently this may have taken up some of the recoil but not to the extent of the push pull technique.
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  9. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Already felt like I knew nothing about proper shotgun technique, now I feel I know even less! Have an 870 I want to learn with, a home defense rig. It sounds like shotgun marksmanship is purely target focus and index?

10. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

For the most part yes. But you can certainly shoot a shotgun like a rifle, especially if it has rifle sights on it. I have three barrels for my M2. A 24" with a front fiber optic, a 20" rifled slug barrel with Rifle sights and a 21" with rifle sights cut into the rib. That shotgun is mostly tactical, 3Gun and slug hunting. But if I am bird hunting or shooting clay sports, I shoot my Browning Golden Clays with a mid bead and front bead. If you have no desire to wing shoot, or shoot clay targets, express or ghost ring sights on a shotgun make a lot of sense. If you stick with the front bead only, then the fit has to be optimum to be on target.

So for your 870, if you feel more comfortable with rifle type sights, have a gunsmith cut a dovetail in the rib and put a ghost ring or rear sight on it. A lot of guys use 10/22 rear sights on the rib. There are also rifle sights that clamp onto the rib and get you hi visibility fiber optics.