1st experience with 00 Buck and slugs

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by ilpirata, Feb 23, 2020.

1. ilpirata

ilpirata

I have a 870 Express Compact I'll be shooting with slugs on Saturday, can't do #3 buck indoors. But it will be getting a folding stock to go with the 21" Rem-choke rifle sight barrel.

At most "HD" ranges in my AO: 20 ga. is sufficient and most shot patterns will be like rifle shooting, one solid mass of 1 or 1-1/4 oz. lead.

Dynactus likes this.
  2. Dynactus

Dynactus

Realistically, as far as home defense goes, nothing says F U like a 12 Gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot. At the Dynactus home, in the middle of nowhere, when a situation just hasn't felt right, I remember what I have reached for first.

3. hogarth

hogarth

Some people in this thread need to take a Rob Haught or Tim Chandler class and learn how to properly mitigate shotgun recoil. Being able to tame the beast allows you to practice with it more.

4. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Last fall I bought an as new Mossberg 590, and had not had a chance to test fire it. Two weeks ago at the end of a pistol range session, at an indoor range (Shoot Point Blank/Carmel), I had three minutes of range time left and loaded six rounds of slugs into the shotgun, which was all I had brought with me.
    I fired all six from the shoulder as fast as I could safely do so.

WOW, what a blast literally, the flame and noise coming out the business end of that beast was awesome, and as I placed it safely back into its pelican case and left the other range patrons, gave me some curious looks.

The holes in my target were all I needed to see as this baby works perfectly and while I would not use slugs for home defence, whatever I do put in it if I ever need it, will I am sure be devastating on any threat.

deputy tom likes this.
  5. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    For defensive purposes you're not really getting any advantage with 3 " shells....

2 3/4 inch 00 buck is fine; there are a number of low recoil options available that will give excellent results.

6. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    If you wish to master the shotgun as a defensive tool, your best bet is to take an actual class that focuses on that skill set.

7. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Yeah, took a shotgun class from Rob. He was a member of my club in Ohio. The class was about 200 rounds of buckshot/slug in one day. It didn't bother me at all using this technique.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4

He is, by far, the best 870 operator I have ever seen.

Here is the other member of my club in Ohio.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jncWh1BPzw

deputy tom, MSP Sarge, J_Rico and 5 others like this.
  8. ilpirata

ilpirata

Thanks for the links.
    I am looking at some low recoil buckshot. I noticed that the S&B and I think the Winchester buckshot rounds don't have plastic wads encasing the shot. Maybe that contributed to the barrel leading.

9. rogn

rogn real dogs

The 3.5" 12 gage has probably ruined more than 1 shotgunner. Outside of geese too many ist time turkey hunters are sold one of the 3.5" monsters, being told they had to have one of these monsters to hunt turkey.

Rank Stranger likes this.
  10. thespork

thespork

I don't think it's the wad... But I'm no expert on these things..
    If you are worried about barrel leading, you could go with plated buckshot.. bit you will pay more

11. amd65

amd65

I have a bunch of S&B 00 and #4 Buckshot. They just use a card wad with no shot cup, so yes, they do lead the bore. They do give a pretty good close range spread compared to shot cup shells.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  12. Bradley T

Bradley T

Yeah, you know it when it goes off!

13. Firecop203

Firecop203

A Limbsaver recoil pad and the “push/pull” technique is your friend.

deputy tom and pizza_pablo like this.
  14. ftlupton

ftlupton

ATA trapshooter since 1968 with way over 100,000 registered birds so I know shotguns. Fun time we shot from the hip, flurries, and many times we shot 1,000 targets in one day. You can adjust your stock to recoil straight back instead of back and up, get a Kick eeze pad and the main thing is add some weight. jmho

15. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

If you are getting a sting, or worse yet a bruise, on your cheek, then your shotgun does not fit you correctly. The rear sight on a shotgun is your eyeball and you are not supposed to be looking at the front sight at all, ever. Your cheek should be down on the stock, but it needs to fit. Now granted, if you have DRS or a Red Dot, use them like intended, but fit is still important.

Recoil mitigation is a combination of fit and technique. But if it does not fit, even good technique won't help. One of my assistant coaches for the HS Trap team broke her collarbone in her late teens. Julie Golob, yes one of the most famous female shooters, had a nasty bruise on her cheek after the first day of her first 3Gun match. They were both using shotguns that had not been properly fit to them. When I was training Marines on M4s, the ones that were hitting had a proper fit, the others did not. Once we got the fit down, those guys did great and had no more complaints of pain or bruises.

If you want to be really good on the shotgun, regardless of the type of load and targets, get your shotgun fit. One reason I am a fan of Benelli and Stoeger...they have the fittiment from the factory with the ability to change all the angles to accommodate 99% of all shooters.

Mr Meeseeks and treg like this.
  16. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

The gun has no rear sight.

17. Tito's Glock

Tito's Glock

I shot some S&B OO 12g. about 15 years ago. I bought a bunch cheap for 3-gun matches. Turns out the wads were actually compressed horse hair and they smelled awful upon shooting (think burning hair). I was almost banned from several clubs and disowned by my friends that season.

pizza_pablo and ilpirata like this.
  18. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

FYI, that's the 'B' pillar.
    The 'A' pillar runs up the side of the windshield.
    The 'C' pillar runs up the side of the rear window.

ranger1968 likes this.
  19. oldmick

oldmick

Sorry, I wasn’t referring to the hole in the B pillar, only in the door. I can dig up the A pillar test shots if you’re interested. Ah, found it.

Blanchester vehicle shoot A pillar.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  20. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

While true in total energy, the velocity of the recoil also has a lot to do with it.

My 458, 404, 450-400 and 416 Rigby recoil much more violently due to the velocity.

treg likes this.