1st Detail strip of my G27

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 2740dmx, Feb 28, 2010.

1. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Hey All,
    I just detail stripped my G27 for the first time. (slide only)

It is one of those things that I kept saying "I will do it soon", but kept putting it off. (which is embarrassing to admit....ex-infantry and all...)

I cued up a youtube vid and went to work on it. Man, did that thing need it!

There were little bits of brass shavings all up in the striker channel.
    Most every other surface was relatively clean, just requiring a quick wipe down, except for the extractor. That thing needed a good scrubbing!

For those who have never done it, I would recommend it. I can definitely see how some brass shavings could jam up the works!

Anyway, now it is squeaky clean, and ready to go back IWB.

2. MonsterB

MonsterB

Good for you, Im at about 4k rounds on my g26 and about to do the same thing...gonna replace the guiderod spring too but thats about it unless i find anything when I strip it...

3. pangloss9

pangloss9

I just detailed my G17 for the first time a few weeks ago. It wasn't as dirty as I expected, but there was definitely some crud in there.

4. mdhandyman

mdhandyman

Good for you . If you don't mind was it the first glock you have done, an how long did it take start to finish. I have to do mine im at about 3000 rounds an just want to make sure i have the time set aside for the job. Thx.

5. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Good job.Now do the frame.Does this mean you decided to keep it ?

6. tbyron

tbyron

I just detail cleaned my G19 slide after my range visit yesterday. It was pretty clean still since I've only put 500 rounds through it. It was pretty easy to clean with some pipe cleaners and cotton swabs.

Before I reassembled the slide, I spayed some compressed air into the channels to clear out any loose debris from what I missed during cleaning, or from my cleaning equipment.

7. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

I have spent more time cleaning my Glock, then shooting it. It is not easy to take the firing pin assembly apart - those little plastic cups- so now i believe hosing off the firing pin ***'y with cleaner then wiping dry (NO lubricant on it) is good enough for me.

When detail stripping the lower receiver, which you will probably want to try sooner or later: remember the order of the pins to remove and reassemble in reverse of course: I have the 3 pin model so it goes like this: Push out trigger pin, (I usually have to use a hammer and punch to start that one, it is tight.) then the smaller locking block pin. Then the trigger housing pin (the shortest pin).

The most important thing to lube is the trigger bar point, just like it says in the Glock manual, and this is best accessed when the gun is detail stripped. No need to disasemble if you dont want to, just lift the trigger bar up and out leaving the spring attached! I use a drop of grease here since detail stripping is not something i like to do all the time.
    [​IMG]
    The grease or oil goes at the point under the yellow circle (top circle) at the point where the trigger bar touches it
    When reassembling remember: the pins go in reverse order, so first reinstall the trigger assembly and the short pin. Then the locking block and its top pin. The order is important because remember the slide release lever spring goes under the locking block pin. (i.e. The spring presses against this pin, and this is what gives it tension.)
    Then reinsert the slide release lever, line up the holes, and reinsert the trigger pin.

It is often very helpful to use a glock tool or punch for reinstalling the trigger pin. Use the punch to line up the holes in the slide release lever, the locking block and frame from the left side, and ease the punch out at the same time you shove in the pin from the right side.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  8. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Yeah, it was the first glock i have done. It wasn't as dirty as my initial post made it sound, I was just trying to be dramatic enough to warrant a new thread!
    It took about twenty minutes, start to finish. (slide is all i did. the frame is way too clean and fresh for me to start taking it apart. no reason to take it apart until it needs it)
    it is my first striker fired weapon, so it was interesting to see how it all works.
    easy job if you cue up a good internet vid.

9. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Thanks. My G27 is so damn squeaky, that i don't see a need for the frame to be pulled apart. the slide wasn't as bad as i made it seem...just wanted to have a dramatic sounding thread!!
    I will be perfectly happy to keep it, which is a good thing, because so far....no action. weird because my price is lower than what i see for used 27's in my area...
    glock on!

10. vmann

vmann Controller

i detail strip the slide almost every time i clean, its just too easy to pull everything out and clean the firing pin channel...

i dont know why everyone thinks the firing pin, spring and cups are soo hard...use the back of the slide and the channel for the firing pin and the cups can be easy to install...

11. mdhandyman

mdhandyman

Thx, 2740 I think i'm going to do mine this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  12. MonsterB

MonsterB

Did mine yesterday, took about 45 mins but I took my time and really cleaned it good...I had around 4000 rounds through it and it was full of crap...it really needed it, although you would never know it, the gun has always shot every time...I feel alot better and may attack the frame this weekend...I am going to do mine every 500-1000 rounds now that I know how easy it is.:cool: