close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1st day of quail season

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mpol777, Oct 12, 2002.

1. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

yesterday i took the day off of work for the first day of quail season. i camped out on thursday night and was up just before sunrise. when i was having my coffee i could hear them talking and called a little. when the sun broke i was off.

the fisrt flush came about 70 yards from where i camped, but they were out of range before i could get my gun up. i saw where they landed and followed. i ended up flushing this same covey 3 more times, taking 3 shots and getting 2 birds. my success ratio went down faster than my 401k after that. i flushed a lot of birds but between cover, the sun, and just plain missing i ended up getting 3 more in the next few hours. 1 cottontail was the rest of my game for the day, but he was skinnier than an ethopian so i left him for the hawks. had a great time wathing them have a feast about an hour later when they found it. the temp started to rise and i had 5 birds so i called it quits.

happy to say that the birds were all in good health and tasted great. ;f this is my second year quail hunting and i've fallen in love. some of the most fun hunting i've ever had. i made a promise to myself last year that i will never miss an opening day, and i plan on keeping that promise. one of these days i'll head east for bobwhite.

i also flushed two grouse, but in that split second i couldn't remember if they were in season so i passed.

2. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

Sounds like some fun. Quail can be hard to hit when they are really moving.

What guage did you use?

A good tip for eating quail is to soak them in salt water first before you cook em. This will bring all the lead pellets out of the meat (or at least most of them).

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i was using a rem 870 express 12ga. mod choke with 2.75" win AA handicap with 1 1/8oz of #8's. if i can hit 'em this load folds them right up.

4. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

Sounds like a blast. I have wanted to try quail hunting. Where did you go?

5. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

i haven't been quail hunting in a while, i miss it. were you using dogs? i remember your posts before, you live in az right? if so, i'm envious. here in tx you have to shell out big bucks for a lease and need dog(s).

it's even more fun if you find a good hunting buddy.;)

6. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

I have given up on quail hunting. Those quail are smarter than I am, and a man needs to realize his limitations! Give me coyote calling any day.

7. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i have 4 dogs, but none of them are any good for hunting. although i've been trying to teach the chihuahuas how to point ;f i pretty much just walk until i flush a covey then follow them until i can't find them any more. the gambels quial spread out when they flush then after about 20 minutes they'll call and group back up. i just keep walking straight and after a few miles turn back and usually run into some of the same birds.

this is only my second year, but i'm starting to figure out some of the patterns of these creatures. the key that i've found out there is to walk slow and stop often. i'l take a dozen steps then pause for second. especially when coming over the top of a rise. this seems to help keep them on the ground long enough for me to get into range. if i walk fast and make a lot of noise they tend to flush 40-50 yards out and i never get a shot.