1st day as a chl holder

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ju993rnaut, Oct 16, 2010.

1. ju993rnaut

ju993rnaut

So I received my chl yesterday and went and baught a bianchi covert option iwb holster today. I was going out of town to take flowers to my mothers grave and to visit my grandma and other family. My 1st full day as a chl holder went well. I carried my glock 17 and I actually felt pretty comfortable. I carried it behind my left hip, that's riight I'm a lefty. We went and visited my mom and had lunch visited some family at there place of business and when we went to visit my grandma the weapon stayed in the truck(she lives in a nursing home). I left it in the console when visiting my aunts house on the way out, pretty much out of respect and an understanding that she or my uncle mayy not want a weapon in the home. All in all no one ever mentioned anything, and the rig was pretty comfortable and the holster never came off so I'm pleased. Considering a glock 19, kahr cw9 or even a sig p6 as a dedicated carry weapon in the future. Just wanted to share my 1st experience as a chl holder.

2. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

Congrats yo you on your first day and even better for you that you respected your Aunt's wishes I am suggesting something along the lines of a G26/G27/G33 for your carry weapon.

3. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

Next is the obligatory trip to WalMart to browse the movies and sporting goods!

I remember my first trip as a CC holder. I took my son to Dairy Queen and when I pulled up there were 3 sheriffs eating dinner in there. I chickened out and left my piece under the seat. Now, I feel neked if I go anywhere without it! Nice job!:dancing:

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

did you do the Wal-Mart stroll? :rofl:

5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

6. ju993rnaut

ju993rnaut

Haha no wal-mart yet but I did stop by field and stream and a state trooper came in a few minutes later to buy some reloading supplies, I tried not to act too nervous. I'll give wal.mart a go sometime this week.

7. Glockdude1

When you go to the range, go wearing your concealed weapon. Practice drawing and firing from concealment.

The more you practice, the more confident you will feel carrying.

:cool:

8. ju993rnaut

ju993rnaut

I will definatly do that. I put it on first thing this morning and have been doing house work with it and I feel like I'm already used to it. My draw is ok but I need to work on reholstering because my shirt keeps getting in the way.

9. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Congrats. It's customary in these parts to head to wal-mart with your new rig and get some

[​IMG]

10. Ruggles

Ruggles

It will be 2nd nature pretty soon.

11. Glockdude1

Confidence, Carrying or Nachos???

:rofl:____ :tongueout:

12. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Did someone come up to you, "Hey, bro, you're printing."?:rofl::tongueout:

13. fyrecrotch

fyrecrotch

"Shhhh. Your clips are showing":cool:
    "Dude! They're called magazines. Clips are completely different... oh ****, yeah, my belt clips are showing."

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  14. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

"Don't ask, don't tell" applies to concealed carry more appropriately than in the military......even in your relative's home! If your Aunt knows you are carrying......then, the obvious question is......why?

Once you reveal you're carrying, THEN respect for her wishes is what you'll have to do.

......otherwise, the law is the only thing that will prevent me from carrying......

hog......dealing with the hard realities of evil intent.....and, evil does not care what your Aunt thinks.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  15. remat

remat

Congrats, on your first day. As a sidenote, I have noticed that most nursing homes do have a no firearms policy. How enforceable that is probably depends on your state and possibly her contract with them.

I would recommend taking a look at a 26. Considerably smaller than the 17 and you could use your 17's mags and probably holster. A great combo imo!

16. ju993rnaut

ju993rnaut

Hog...I see where your coming from and judging by my aunts response to me telling her I had a chl, I will wear it next time...she wanted to look at the glock before I left but seemed to be more interested in the holster. She's an avid hunter.

Remat...I've fired the 26 before and its a consideration. I kinda thought the 17 was too big but after getting away with carrying it for a whole day I figured the 19 would be great, it size would conseal it that much better and I would have a full grip. I have always like the way the 26s looked with a +2 baseplate though so we will see.

12131...nope, no printing but I did catch myself looking to see if I could see anyone else carrying while at the 7-11 and field and stream.

17. ctfireman

ctfireman

Start over tomorrow..........walmart is the 1st stop.

18. mixflip

mixflip

Lots of new things to learn. I still remember my first encounter with the public bathroom dilema. (goin #2). You'll ask yourself, what do I do with my gun?

Do I unholster it and lay the gun on the toilet paper dispenser? (it could fall off if someone slams a door closed?)

Do I let the gun and holster stay on my belt and just let it lay around my ankles for anyone to see and possibly snatch if they are stupid enough? or freak someone out and call 911 about a man brandishing a gun in the bathroom? (life can be stranger than fiction and these things have happened)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  19. Roostmonkey

Roostmonkey

Look into a 26; you can still use your 17 mags in it if you want.

As far as carrying into nursing homes goes... concealed is concealed. If somebody should happen to notice it, as long as you don't look like a criminal, most people just assume that you are supposed to be carrying, and don't give you trouble.

20. ju993rnaut

ju993rnaut

So I took yalls advice and went to wal-mart today, had breakfast at the mc donalds located inside. Afterward I went to the local monthly flea market and paroozed through the vendors wears. Found a 68 winchester model 70, bore and action looked and felt good, stock and finish on the barrel were rough for $325. Did some reasearch and found them in better condition for near that price so I declined. Anyways another succesfull day as a chl.