close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1st Annual 1911 vs. Glock Challenge

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Poohbear, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Poohbear

Poohbear Living the dream!

Hello GTer's,

I was one of the SO's for the most challenging and most excrutiating matches ever shot in the DFW area for the first time.

I have to say it was a blast!!!

You can see the full report at:
    http://www.tdsa.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi
    (then scroll down and click on "Throw Down", then click on "1911 vs. Glock Challenge". The full results are on page 14.)

Everyone had a great time shooting very demanding stages of 45rnds or more. Shooting on the move, shooting while utilizing cover... and even while shooting upside down.

Each team had 9 members. Team 1911 had a wide variety of manufacturers models that included 9mm, 38super, & .45acp. The only one that did not have a malf was the Springfield in 9mm. Team 1911 had a total 21 malfs.

Team GLOCK had 9mm and .45acp shooters. The 9mm's were the true CHAMPS of the entire match in G17, G19, and G34. They only had 8 malfs that were due to the two G21 .45acp guns. Mostly due to failure to feed, with one due to a stove pipe.

As you already know... TEAM GLOCK WON.

But after all is said and done... EVERYONE is a WINNER that shot the match. They shot 1000rnds in one day, in 22 stages.

I personally witnessed the dog tiredness after it was all over. It was a pleasure to meet and be around a great group of shooters.

If you were not there, be sure to plan for next year.

Take care and be safe,

Leonard Head

2. Poohbear

Hey GTer's,

There is already talk about the next 1911 vs Glock match. Take a look at our web forum.

http://www.tdsa.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi
    (then scroll down and click on "Throw Down")

Seems it was such a hit and that the word is getting around, that many folks are eager to help or get the next challenge started soon.

Take care and be safe,
    Leonard

3. Kearsage

Kearsage

Great match! Challenging stages. Laying on your back and shooting at swinging steel targets over the top of your head was really wild! 1000 rounds with a G17 and no problems. Glock rules! :cool:

4. Littlemac

Littlemac CLM

If you have the opportunity to attend one on these 1000 rd matches, you own it to yourself to make it.

Few words of wisdom- Bring enough mags to get the job done. If the stage requires 60 rounds and you are using 8 rd mags, you will be introduced to a whole new world of mag changes.

I had a great time and there was lots of good natured kidding from both sides.

There are lots of lessons to learn:

There are some 1911 that can shoot 1000 rds with out maintenance

Even glocks need to have springs changed after 20,000 rds.

1000 rds in less than 8 hours will take a toll on you physically.

If you know of any more of these type of glock Vs. 1911 match up, put it on GT, so we can follow the results.

5. RottieRick

RottieRick Big Dawg

Would a BHP be allowed in this type of event?

The reason I ask is I don't have any Glocks or 1911's, but I do have 2 BHP's and a bunch of Sig's.

6. Littlemac

Littlemac CLM

Rottie, I'm sure they will allow any type of gun in the match. However the one of the reason for the match was to start to put to rest the question of which type of pistol is more reliable a glock or a 1911?

Keep an eye out at the TDSA web site for the date of the next scheduled match ( current plans for this summber) We would love to have some new blood attend.

7. Poohbear

Rottie,

Yes, other type of handguns will be allowed.

We are looking into trying to get some sponsorship for the next one. So, if you know of anyone that might be interested in being a sponsor... please have them contact us directly via our "Feedback Form" on the TDSA Website... or they can call us at 972-217-1182.

I would like to mention though, that the "Feedback Form" is much faster. It automatically will email four members of the staff. And someone will get back with them the same day.

Also, if anyone is interested in participating in the match, please also feel out the "Feedback Form".

Thanks,

Leonard
    TDSA Instructor
    Texas CHL Instructor
    IDPA A00366
    IDPA Certified Safety Officer Instructor
    (Soon to be NRA Instructor)

8. RottieRick

RottieRick Big Dawg

I'll keep ckecking your Site. I'm over in Abilene and work weird shifts but am definately interested it just might make participation a little sporadic/difficult.