1st Amendment v Starry Night In Florida

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LinuxLover, Aug 27, 2018.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I'll just post this and let it ride! (PS - I love this!)

OK - the story as I know it........

Their son is autistic and liked looking at an art book with Starry Night by Van Gogh in it, so they commissioned a painter to paint it on their wall.

The city told them they would not allow graffiti because - "it has 'squiggles' in it*" - and that a fine of $100/day would be levied against them, up to the value of their home if it was not removed.

* The mayor really said 'squiggles'.

The order was to 'make the wall and the house compliant with each other' - so they painted the house in the same Starry Night theme, matching the wall as the order demanded.

The city didn't see the humor in that, so they got the city attorney to seek more charges for code violations.

The short version is that the owners won the case because so many people stated they liked it, that the mayor went on their local TV and ......

Mount Dora mayor extends 'sincere apology' for 'unfortunate dispute' over van Gogh 'Starry Night' house

A court settlement allows the Starry Night House to stay in Mount Dora.
    .....since the video at the end here (^) is owned by The Orlando (Florida) Sentinel, I can only make a hotlink to it and not embed it in this post. Sorry, but some people are like that! :(

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    cougar_ml and frankemp like this.
  2. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

I love it. I drive past it a couple times a week. The city really came on heavy handed, and they were hypocritical and bullyish.

I'm glad the city stepped off. The house really adds charm to Mt. Dora.

G19Tony and medic2258 like this.