Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't all the 9mm Glocks come with 6.5mm rear sights? I was shooting low the first time I took the 19x out I figured it was just me getting used to the new gun and trigger but then I saw that they come with 6.1mm rear sight height instead of the 6.5mm. Did something change or am I misinformed on sight heights?

·
NRA Life Member
68,940 Posts
Don't all the 9mm Glocks come with 6.5mm rear sights? I was shooting low the first time I took the 19x out I figured it was just me getting used to the new gun and trigger but then I saw that they come with 6.1mm rear sight height instead of the 6.5mm. Did something change or am I misinformed on sight heights?
6.5 mm is standard.

Where were you hitting, compared to point of aim?

"Glock rear sights are identified by markings on the right side consisting of one or more horizontal bars. A single bar indicates the most common rear sight height: 6.5mm (.256 in). A long bar with a short bar beneath it indicates a 6.1mm (.240 in) height and a long bar with a short bar above will measure 6.9mm (.271 in) high. The tallest of the factory Glock rear sights is the 7.3mm (.287 in) with markings consisting of a long bar with two shorter bars above the long bar."

Reactions: Bluescot

·
Oh glockaholic!
1,174 Posts
OP, thanks for posting this question. I just noticed yesterday that my 19x had the 6.1 and not the 6.5. I was actually wanting to know the explanation to this as well. Only shot a mag through mine the day I go it so I do not know where mine is printing when fired yet. Following to keep up on this post.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I routinely replace the standard sights with steel OEM, and a '+1' rear to give a 6 o'clock hold. I've done this on 17/19/26, and been happy with the results. It may be shooting a little high, but I'm not unhappy.
Moon

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Gen5 G17 and G19 pistols have been supplied from the factory with either 6.1mm or 6.5mm fixed rear sights. There seems to be no detectable logic that determines which of the two elevations Glock will apply to the Gen5 G17 or G19. I do not know if the same unpredictable sight application is continuing with the new Gen5 G26. Most who have these pistols with 6.1mm sights are reporting POI below POA, which indicates the sights should be the decades-old standard 6.5mm for most loads.

The standard sight height from factory for all 9mm Glocks *including Gen5* (and except G17L and G43) is 6.5mm, as shown officially at:

https://us.glock.com/documents/FRM-72-26.xls

Glock is now marking some rear sights with the numerical value of elevation top to bottom in millimeters, stamped in the sight notch.

·
NRA Life Member
68,940 Posts
My G19X came with OEM Glock night sights, rear was .256 tall.
I do not like the standard fat .140 wide OEM front night sight.
They were replaced the next day with Dawson sights.
The night sights would also be a waste of money for me. Hopefully the Glock 19X will come with stock sights, when they release it in black.

·
NRA Life Member
68,940 Posts
Covered hold seem to be all the rage right now.

I personally prefer to see what I am shooting. :)
By "covered hold" are you referring to the top edge of the sights cutting across the center of the point of impact? Because that's how sight picture has been taught and fixed sight guns have been sighted since I was born (1960's). Bullseye competitors used to use a 6 o'clock hold, but even they now shoot POA/POI across the center of the bullseye.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
By "covered hold" are you referring to the top edge of the sights cutting across the center of the point of impact? Because that's how sight picture has been taught and fixed sight guns have been sighted since I was born (1960's). Bullseye competitors used to use a 6 o'clock hold, but even they now shoot POA/POI across the center of the bullseye.
If you take one of your G17's, install a 6.1mm rear sight and go shoot it, you will know right away the difference between POI/POA and what some call "covered hold" or "combat hold". ;)

I am not sure where it came from.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have seen the Gen5 19’s with both, 6.1 and 6.5 sights. My 19.5 and 19X both came with 6.1’s. I contacted Glock when I got my 19.5, in regards to it not shooting POA/POI (printing low). The representative told me that they shoot it and the computer dictates the sight height. I told him that there computer was wrong, at least in this case. I asked him to send me a 6.5 rear sight and he wouldn’t do it. He said that they would send me a label to return it for sight verification and I told him, I would just put some aftermarket sights on it, never mind! Heinie Slant Pro’s and all is good. That said, my 19X is printing pretty close to POA/POI, with the 6.1’s.
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I have found that all the sights I have tried on my G43, I have to cover with the front sight. I guess that’s what they call, “combat sight picture?” I, for one prefer POA/POI!

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Unfortunately, with 6.1mm, that combat picture picture is at like 5yds (or less). Go to 25yds and it will be 12 O'Clock and the clock maybe mounted pretty high on the wall.. ;)
That explains some of my frustration at the range the other day.
:drowning:

Was going to leave it unmolested, in case of resale. But who am I kidding, I’m never going to sell it.

:exercise:

I have a spare set of agent sights that are going on as soon as I get home from work....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.