Glock Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used gen 3 g17 with manufacture date of 1999. When I went to put in an extended slide stop lever I noticed it only had 1 pin while my newer gen3 has 2. Why is this? Is my older gen3 less durable or reliable cuz of this? Anybody that can explain this to me I'd appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for that info. I guess what I'm asking is my older gen 3 less reliable or more prone to malfunctions cuz it don't have that extra pin?
Your older Gen 3 is good-to-go without that extra pin.

If you read the various threads on this subject, they tell the tale of why Glock added the "extra" pin. The story is that a 9MM Glock only needs the single pin, but when they started chambering the same size gun in 40 S&W, the extra recoil generated needed the extra reinforcement provided by another pin. To keep the frame manufacturing process the same for both 9MM and 40 S&W frames, an extra (un-needed) pin was added to the 9MM frames.

Why make two different frames when one style will work for both if you make 'em with two pins for both calibers?

·
Banned
16,041 Posts
My Gen 3,two pin,produced in 1999,G 19 is not less reliable than a three pin to my mind. It just means I can not convert it from 9 mm to 357 Sig or 40 S&W but then I don't want to convert it either. SJ 40

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.