1987 Best in the Market, Mint 2nd gen g19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AgentAdam, Jan 28, 2010.

1. AgentAdam

AgentAdam Glock Master

I just took possession of the family heirloom, a 2nd Gen. Glock 19. There is an interesting sticker on the tupperware box I have never seen before that says 1987 US-Award Best In The Market for the G17 and the package info label on the side has has faded almost away. Its almost 20 years old,a classic ,and will soon be an antique at 25 and there still the best thing out.

Its literally brand new in the box with two pre-ban mags, original cleaning rod,brush,mag loader,manual, warranty card and all. The manual says 1990 but I also have the original receipt 11/07/91 for 479.78 + tax, 515.76 OTD. Interestingly enough it was bought at the West Memphis,AR (TN) WalMart. :wow:

It doesn't have the nickle plated internals free upgrade/recall but i would like to keep it origonal for the nostalgia. They don't make things like they used to. The machining is very nice and it hasn't had a problem with corrosion in over 20 years.The frame rails even look better. I would also hate for it to get lost in shipping and even if i was in GA i would want to keep the factory parts.

I do need to upgrade to the captured recoil rod and wider take down bar spring if i want to carry it. It needs one mag spring also. Do the Gen3 mag springs work with these NFML tubes and followers ?

The Gen3 G17 fits my hand perfect but i actually like no finger groves on the g19 better. My hands are too large and it seems like my grip keeps shifting on my Gen3 19. No acc. rail is a more snag free design also.

The thing that confuses me is why such an early model Glock doesn't have the Austrian eagle and proof stamp, and the frame just says GlockInc. Smyrna,GA. . Did Glock actually build the frames this early?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. AgentAdam

AgentAdam Glock Master

3. Forty-eight

Forty-eight

4. AgentAdam

AgentAdam Glock Master

Thanks. It is one of the nicest i have seen. I guess Glocks just run in the family :) Now i know where i get it from. Already have a 17,19,26,21. Still need a 17L and 34 and Gen4.

I would almost rather send the internals to Robar for NP3 nickle with Teflon than pay $50 to ship it to Glock. Last time i shipped a pistol ,not that far away, it was closer to $100. The glock nickle plating is nothing to write home about. They admit to having problems with it.

5. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member

6. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

My well worn G-19 favorite is a "GS" prefix, wouldnt trade it for anything. Your a lucky dude. Glock had different brands of tupperware over the years, some had ammo holding posts inside, some others had slight changes, my earliest are a "BX" G-19, and "KV" G-17.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  7. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Wal-Mart probably put that sticker on the box.

8. angrydogtattoo

angrydogtattoo

Totally awesome! if someone didn't know that Glock uses "copper lube" it would almost look like the slide was "rusted" underneath. Very nice!!

9. Geezer Glide

Geezer Glide NRA Life Member

I remember seeing those stickers on early G17 and G19 boxes. Nice G19, mine looks just like it, mine's a 1994 model.

10. juswes

juswes Team Red

The believed in that copper lube back then. On my RTF 22 they only used a few dabs

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Nope,......Glock did it.

Outstanding looking GSxxx! Congrats!
    I picked up a AGNxxx this week, it's a low round count as well.

[​IMG]

12. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

Wow, that is so sweet.

13. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

congrats, keep that puppy safe!

14. AgentAdam

AgentAdam Glock Master

The reason there is so much copper anti-seize is because i re applied it.There was originally only a dab on the connector where it mates with the trigger bar. The trigger is great on this gun. Smooth no stack take up,a wall,then a crisp break.

I have had good luck with "break in" the first few hundred rounds with the copper paste on the rails so i put 2 dabs on each side and spread it around with a q-tip. This time i added a drop of oil to each rail to help spread it around and cycled the slide a few times.Glock can be very sketchy about where they put the copper paste. I have had it with allot,none, on just one side rail before, and sometimes on the connector ramp on the bottom of the slide.

The gun was really dry after 18+ years so I fully detail stripped it and applied BreakFree CLP as a rust preventative to all of the steel internal parts. I left the slide dry except for the rails. I have strong faith in the old Tenifer treatment.

I plan on breakin her in with 500 rounds or so before i put her in the safe just to make sure everything works. It will never leave the family so there is no collectors value in it. It might actually be safer if i just carried it every day. I don't really believe in a safe queen that you can never shoot. This is a fine example though. Its literally only fired the two casings from the factory.

15. ShamGlock

ShamGlock

Great lookin gun. Really cool to see it held up so well.

16. snipe1

snipe1 Perfection

Geez, I wish I could find a nice 2nd gen G19 like that. :dunno:

17. geronimo509

geronimo509

Me too. But, I want one or a 17 that was born on my Bday in November of '86

18. vmann

vmann Controller

wow, that is such a sweet find....on the other hand, i cant for the life of me see why someone would slather soo much of the copper antisieze all over it...

19. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Wow- Thanks for sharing, nice!

20. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

OH MY.......That is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET.