Glock Talk banner

1970 Model 28-2 (update)

709 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Bruce M
So last week I posted some cell phone pictures of a nice Model 28-2 I had put on hold while my wife and I went out of town. Well, I picked it up a couple of days ago and to my surprise it was in even better shape than I had expected.

I ran a wet patch down the bore and through the charging holes in the cylinder. Nothing. No powder residue, no lead, not even much dust. Patch was clean. There was not a mark on the recoil shield except from opening and closing the cylinder. The area around the firing pin was pristine. The forcing cone and the gap between the barrel and topstrap, was clean also. Not a scratch on it, except for a light turn line, and no holster wear I can find. The only things that kept it from looking like a factory new gun, were the aftermarket "Eagle" grips, and a dab of orange nail polish or model car paint on the front sight.

It started to spit rain about the time I took the pictures so you'll see a few drops of water on it.

I almost hated to shoot it.

Almost.

But I did. Normally I don't bother to shoot magnun loads, but I had a box of Federal 158 grain, JSP's I've had for years. I figured this was as good a time to shoot them as any so I took them to the range. Man, those surprised me. :) Even in that big heavy gun, they had some "POP", made worse I'm sure by the Eagle grips. They were like holding onto a wood rasp. That checkiring is sharp. They look nice, but I think I'll find something else for shooting.

Or I might not bother. I'll probably only shoot 38's in it now. Or mild .357's. I just punch holes in paper so I normally don't shoot hot loads anyway.

But it was funny to see the heads turn down the line. The rangemaster came over twice to see what was going on. :supergrin:
Reactions: Jason D
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife had sort of been after me to buy a "new" Model 27. I know you don't care too much for them Bac, but I liked the 4" one I looked at. But when I saw this 28, and it was still quite a bit less expensive than a new 27, well, it was a no brainer.

· M62/76
14,804 Posts
Congrats indeed- I'm a sucker for vintage N-frame S&Ws and the 4" N-frames are nearly perfect IMO (I say nearly because the 5" guns are my favorite). Enjoy it- I've run a steady diet of both 38s and 357s thru my 27-2 and it's one of my favorites to take to the range.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
CajunBass "So last week I posted some cell phone pictures of a nice Model 28-2 I had put on hold while my wife and I went out of town. Well, I picked it up a couple of days ago and to my surprise it was in even better shape than I had expected."

I have a S&W model 28-2 w/6" barrel myself... Love it! By the serial numbers, it was manufactured between 1978-1980. I picked it up from the 1st owner about 10 years ago.

I have run just about every kind of 357 magnum cartridge through it and that "N" frame just chews em up & spits em out like nothing. Now-a-days it spends more time in the gun case than I'd like, but just a case of "so many gun... so little time".

For range work, I have put a set of Hogue grips on it, makes it much easier for me to shoot.

Nice find, have fun.

· Registered
131,392 Posts
My wife had sort of been after me to buy a "new" Model 27. I know you don't care too much for them Bac, but I liked the 4" one I looked at. But when I saw this 28, and it was still quite a bit less expensive than a new 27, well, it was a no brainer.
Much, much better.

I'm not sure I'd take a new 27 as a gift, unless I could sell it off immediately. I can't stand the new crap S&W builds.

· Registered
3,497 Posts
Very well cared for firearm and good find, congrats.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
Looks like it in fairly pristine condition and will be a lot of fun to shoot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.