Glock Talk banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts
I should add that new 870 Police guns DO have plastic parts; the magazine follower and the polymer trigger guard. Not that it makes any difference.

Thanks for the info. A bit surprised at their prices.....almost what I paid for the gun itself!
That's why I took my barrel to my neighbor's machine shop... Yep, I chopped an 30", full choked barrel. Haven't regretted it one bit either.

Maybe you can find a used barrel, or a whole gun for a good price at a pawn shop.

I sold the old Wingmaster my father gave me. I had no use for it.

First off it is a sentimental value gun from his father so I doubt he wants to sell it.
Second there is nothing wrong with using it as a home defense weapon. Don't have to add anything to it either.
A 20" barrel is fine and the 18" won't make it any better or worse.
Easy to add an extension if that makes you feel any better.
4+1 is still pretty awesome in a 12g shotgun.
The only difference will be the older gun can only fire 2 3/4" shells where the newer gun will fire the bigger shells.
Big deal.
The 2 3/4 are fine and have less blast and kick to them.
If money is the issue you will be fine using the old gun.
Someday you can get the Police but for now you are good with the old wing master.

You may regret that one day.

Buying a second shotgun as you noted, is often cheaper than the second barrel.

Finding a used 870 or Mossberg 500 isn't THAT hard. I've found them for as little as $150 before tax. And not beat to hell either.

I sold the old Wingmaster my father gave me. I had no use for it.
You recommended getting a 870 police, yet you sold your father's Wingmaster? Why? If you didn't like how it was configured, you can change it. Take the wood stock off and store it away, and put on a speedfeed stock and whatever forend you like, if you want it set up that way.

The only thing the newer 870 police offers over an older Wingmaster is the flexi tab, and to me that is not enough to bypass the older Wingmasters.

You recommended getting a 870 police, yet you sold your father's Wingmaster? Why? If you didn't like how it was configured, you can change it. Take the wood stock off and store it away, and put on a speedfeed stock and whatever forend you like, if you want it set up that way.

The only thing the newer 870 police offers over an older Wingmaster is the flexi tab, and to me that is not enough to bypass the older Wingmasters.
I thought hard about modifying the Wingmaster. It had a 28" barrel. It really made more sense for me to just sell the Wingmaster and get a used 870P. After adding the Surefire I have a total of $460 into this set up.

I thought hard about modifying the Wingmaster. It had a 28" barrel. It really made more sense for me to just sell the Wingmaster and get a used 870P. After adding the Surefire I have a total of $460 into this set up.

I figure you could have added the speedfeed stock and had dad's barrel cut down, drilled, and tapped and bead replaced for $150 to $175. Bet that is less than what you paid for the 870P?

I have one of my dad's guns. I could never sell it. But I have a disorder where I won't sell any guns. :embarassed:

Flex tab system, slide, carrier and bolt - Remington part number F93339

Separate

Breech Bolt assembly F93915 (police)
Carrier Assembly F102190
Slide F401023

I think these numbers are correct might want to check with JD just to confirm.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.