1968 Chevelle

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Greg Conn, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Greg Conn

Greg Conn Glock G19 - CCW

Thought some of you guys might be interested to see what my other hobby is.

I'm in the process of tearing down and rebuilding a 1968 Chevelle (396 engine).
    The car is from New Mexico. It was built at Chevrolet's Fremont, California plant and spent its entire life in the Southwest. Due to the dry climate of the Southwest, its frame, floorpans, and body are in excellent condition.
    I had the car shipped to me by motor carrier. Here's a picture of the car as I received it...

[​IMG]

Although the car looks in good condition in the above picture, it's in good shape by virtue of the fact that it spent its entire life in the Southwest, not because it was taken care of.
    The paint job it came with I would describe as a fairly decent "driver quality" paint job, certainly not a great quality paint job.
    Underneath the car and hood was 40 years of accumulation of gunk, dirt, grease, and grime...but no corrosion.

I decided to completely dismantle the car in my garage so I could clean, scrub, and paint the undercarriage, frame, and engine bay and then rebuild it with all new parts.
    Here's what the front part of the frame and engine bay area looked like after I removed the front clip and engine...

[​IMG]

Here's a picture I took while I was in the process of removing the 40 year old front suspension...

[​IMG]

Here's the front part of the frame and engine bay area after I cleaned and painted it...

[​IMG]

My vision with this car is to restore in a resto-mod motif...classic '68 Chevelle styling, but a completely updated and modernized suspension to ensure that the car is very road worthy and to make it handle way better than any stock '68 Chevelle was capable of.
    Here I'm in the process of installing a brand new front suspension...Global West upper and lower control arms, sport handling springs, etc...

[​IMG]

Continued...

2. Greg Conn

Greg Conn Glock G19 - CCW

I completely removed everything from under the car...exhaust, drive shaft, rear end, rear suspension, gas tank, etc...

[​IMG]

I then removed all of the body mounts and jacked the body up about a foot or so off of the frame.
    This allowed me the room and access I needed to clean, scrub, and spray paint the entire underside and chassis of the car.

Here's a couple of pictures of the underside of the car after I cleaned and spray painted it.
    The first picture is looking from the rear towards the front. I was pretty much sitting beneath where the gas tank was when I took this picture...

[​IMG]

This second picture of the underside I took right after I had installed a new, one piece fuel line.
    That took the patience of a monk to install because part of it had to be threaded through a portion of the front part of the frame...

[​IMG]

When I lowered the body back onto the frame, I installed all brand new body mount bushings and bolts...

[​IMG]

I'll be installing disc brakes on all 4 wheels, new 12 bolt rear end, new and updated rear suspension, etc., etc.

If there are some car guys out there who are interested in this sort of stuff, let me know and I'll continue to update this thread with pictures.

What do you think of my project so far?

Regards,
    -Greg

3. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Damn, this thing is built like a tank...

4. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

You are a very lucky man.
    So are you going to repaint to orginal color or go with something else?

5. Master T

Master T

I had a 67, 68, and a 69 chevelle growing up.

The 1968 was also an SS with the factory 4 speed and 396.

Would like to have it back.

I am restoring a 1951 Chevrolet Pick up at this time, have the fram off and POR15 on the fram and suspension. Getting ready to bolt the fram back together and make a rolling chasis.

My wifes car is a Saturn SKY Redline Turbo 5 speed. Very fun car to drive!

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

No disrespect intended but you really SUK! :faint:

That's a nice looking 68 Greg' I am soooooo envious!
    Keeping it the factory color?

Need to see MORE of this build!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  7. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

My first car was a 72 chevelle. My dad restored it for me.
    I moved out, was broke and someone offered me $400 bucks for it.
    Thanks for ruining my Sunday :( Haven't thought about it in years.

8. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I bought my one and only '68 Chevelle SS396 in 1982, when I was 16 years old. It was an L78 with a muncie 4 speed. I paid $900 for it.

Today I own a '68 El Camino Custom Deluxe which I've had since 1996. It's a small block car, but I love it. It's all custom, since I've had it. I welded custom tubular control arms all around, lowered the suspension, put in 12" Cadillac brakes, and the small block is a solid cammed thumper with vortec heads.

It runs and drives like a dream.

I absolutely love GM A-body cars.

Thanks for showing yours. I love it.

9. Adjuster

Adjuster

What are your plans for the engine?

10. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Very nice. I grew up working on my buddy's two 1970 Nova custom builds, 69 Nova SS (Factory stock, 396/4 speed), 1970 Vega, and '72 Chevelle SS. That's how I got into Chevrolet cars. I then went on to buy almost a dozen B-Body Caprices, all 350 cars, including three 1994s, two 1995 LT1 cars.

My dream build would be a 1990 9C1 Caprice with an LS1 and a six speed. But those old Chevy's still make my heart jump. My uncle had a 454 Chevelle that he let go for pennies after he had his son. He still kicks himself to this day.

11. Whiskey Six

Whiskey Six Marine 0369 Platinum Member

Yeah You suk!:supergrin: Man, that is awesome. One thing on the very top of my "bucket list" is to do exactly what you are doing. Looks like you found a beauty.

12. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Nice. Yes, I would like to see this updated as you go along..

13. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

A genuine big block car is a nice find. A little hint on the 12 bolt: Install a "C" clip eliminator kit. If an axle ever gives up, you don't lose the whole car.

14. Rimmer

Rimmer

I owned a 66. 4:88's an dual feed holly. <sigh> Let it go when I went into the Army in 68.

Keep posting your updates. Nice to see some old metal get'in revived. :thumbsup:

15. silentpoet

silentpoet

I got a 68 caddy I am working on. Finally able to get back to it because I don't have a garage so I have to work on it in the driveway.

16. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Very nice attention to detail there buddy!

How tough was replacing those body mounts? I've done it a few times, and it just ever failed that ONE of them would come un-welded and then just spin around inside the frame. :steamed:

Keep up the good work - and keep posting those updates! :supergrin:

kestrou

17. mnhogrider

mnhogrider

Me likey.

Get yourself one of those rechargeable LED drop lights and then you can get rid of the "arm burner" one ya got.

Years ago, my Mom used to drive a 1968 Firebird, 350, auto, metalic green, completely stock. Seemed like EVERYBODY wanted to buy it.

18. JLA

JLA

Hold on........I'm still looking for the "Drool" smiley :headscratch:
    LOVE that car!

19. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

Congrats on the rebuild. I'm sure you will enjoy it for a long time. Here's a shot of my work in progress.

[​IMG]

20. RaiderCop

RaiderCop NRA Life Member

Good for you Greg! That's my dream car, 68-72 SS Chevelle. What type or rear end you planning? I'd be real tempted to airbag it, but it ain't cheap. Nice build, good luck.