close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1966 Chevelle

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bocephus549, Mar 7, 2010.

1. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

I have come into possession of a 66 Chevelle 300 Deluxe 2 door sedan. This car has less than 30,000 miles on it and should be in mint condition after being cleaned up. It has basically been in a garage for the past 35 years. There is one deep scratch down the right rear fender but no dents. It has a six cyl. engine and the interior appears to be in like new condition. Any idea of what this car is worth?

2. Glock21Owner

Glock21Owner NRA Life Member

Without pics it will be difficult to give a value; what options does it have? If it has air conditioning it will greatly increase its value as it was not a common option back then. Same for power brakes. What kind of transmission?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010

3. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

Two speed Powerglide trans, bench seats, etc?

I had a used 4-door '67 deluxe with a 283 v8 and a Powerglide and ac. Brown. Ugh.

Let's see, about 8 years ago my late uncle's estate sold his 6-cyl. stick shift '66 with no radio and very low mileage for $3750 iirc. I'd have to dig through the file cabinet to be sure. I believe this was a plain 300.

(fwiw, this is the uncle I've mentioned that left a few million in trust for the care of my mother and 2 aunts.)

Without googling, I'm guessing somebody will pay $5k for it if it's a reasonably popular color, although the 300 Deluxe trim line was below the Malibu and Super Sport in the lineup.

John

4. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

If its a rust free car it will turn a pretty penny, Its one of the most desirable chevelles out there. Lots of folks want the 66 regardless of options or the fact that its a 6cyl. car.

5. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Didn't the 300 Deluxe have "door posts", while the Malibu & SS didn't?

Somebody who's a REAL expert correct me if I'm wrong - but that's what I recall.

Back in my late teens to late 20s I was crazy about Chevelles - especially the 67 and I owned about a half dozen of them - own one or two 66s two.

The car sounds clean - but be sure to check the frame for rust - and in the front door posts as Chevrolet had the bright idea to "duct air" in at the cowl and then down the door posts to "aerate" the frame and keep it from rusting. What a terrible idea! All that did was put moisture down the door posts and out the frame! :( So, I've seen a lot of those year Chevelle's over the years that the doors were ready to fall off up where they were hinged.

Again - would need pics, but figuring it needs restored, I'd guess the car at under $5K in value.

And, sure, you could go get a small block (or big block!) V-8 and make a clone of a SS396 or something - but it's *really* tough to do that right and the expense in today's market wouldn't be worth it. I'd clean it up and restore it to "as stock" - and know that having points under the distributor means that you'll be one of the few people driving after the EMP hits! :tongueout:

kestrou

By the way - here's a pic of my 67 SS convertible - only the 325HP, and a 2-speed powerglide automatic :)

[​IMG]

kestrou

6. dreis454

dreis454

Team Chevelle is another site that I frequent.
    Thay have a 'Whats it worth' forum on there that will help you.

go to chevelles.com

7. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

yes the 66 300 delux is a post car. Still alot of folks out there want them.

8. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Don't modify it. Plenty of Chevelles out there that have already had the mods.

I'm an A-Body fanatic, btw. Chevelles are my favorites, and always have been.

9. bocephus549

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to take pictures, it was a hectic week dealing with my Father's estate. He lived in Ohio and we had to travel there from Tennessee.

10. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

The OP said it was a '2 door sedan'. I believe that means post - as opposed to 'hard top'. I've often seen this question - I'm wondering if 'sedan' is a regional thing - meaning 'post' to me but not to people in other areas?

11. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

congrats, one of my friends back in high school bought one for $500. that was in 1975. It was a 1965, 283 with a powerglide on the tree. It was 2 tone paint. Black top and white body. He had it repainted all black.

12. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

True. Some people even prefer the posts, as they look a little more 'old school'. They used to be sought out to build sleepers, but these days, I doubt anyone would build a sleeper with a car that old.

Also, the bodies are supposed to be stiffer than the hardtops.

I'd keep it, but that's just my $.02

13. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Sounds alot like a '65 300 I picked up a few years back, although the 66 is much better (and one of my fav's). The six grew into a 502 and she's down the road now. I do musclecars as a business. I actually prefer the post for a sleeper hotrod. I'm in Ohio too. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

14. SeanHodges

SeanHodges

15. Fungunner

Fungunner

I had a '65 Chevelle Deluxe 6-cylinder. Wouldn't mind having one today.

16. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

Being a post car which makes it stiffer alot of folks are restoring them with big blocks and SS interior. The 68-69's which where/are a rare bird with the post where offered with the SS option but where few in numbers.

My toy:
    [​IMG]

17. bocephus549

The car is in Mt Vernon about an hour away from Lancaster.

18. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

*cough* LS1 !!! *cough*

19. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

post cars are cool
    In the old days coupe's brought in alot more $ than post's-Now they are a fair bit closer

My 64 Malibu SS-the only thing stock on it is the rust:whistling:
    [​IMG]
    It ain't pretty but then neither are my Glocks or ME-yet we ALL perform:tongueout:

20. failsafe

failsafe

WOW, that really took me back....I had a '66 Chevelle SS 396, 365 hp black on black convertible...Close ratio 4 speed....Very fast..:crying: