1962 Winchester model 1894

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by collim1, Aug 16, 2019.

1. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

Beautiful rifle and an incredible find. Brings a tear to my eye. The '94 is my most favorite rifle, hands down. There's no way I could defile mine by putting a scope on it. I don't hunt, but I love shooting it. A friend of mine is an avid deer hunter. Each year since he bought his 1968, he takes at least one deer with it.

2. 0311INF

0311INF

The rifle can be very accurate with the right ammo. I'm not sure it's going to print touching groups, but maybe 1-2 m.o.a.

Buckhorn sights are tough to work with but a 5 inch group at 100 yards is easy.

Of course there are various sight upgrades available that can really help.

treg likes this.

3. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I bought mine at a police auction 40 years ago for $30. It turned out to be from 1941. I can shoot 3-4" groups with it at 100 yards with the iron sights but my eyes don't see the sights very well anymore. Probably better with a scope but they weren't really meant to be scoped. They really are an ideal slim, trim, light weight field carbine. I've killed deer with mine between 75 and 100 yards and still take it out occasionally. Where I hunt 100 yards is about the maximum you can see.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  4. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Beautiful rifle! Nicely done OP

5. flyover

flyover

I was able to buy an Aunt's 94 Winchester at her estate sale. I probably paid to much for it but it is mine. In doing the research it turns out to have been built in the later 40's, but pre-1950. It was not shot much or handled all that much.

treg and FullClip like this.
  6. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

You're a good son.

And what a beauty that rifle is!!

7. Bradley T

Bradley T

Yeah, I didn't even know what that box would look like! I've shot one that wasn't even worked-in yet, but it weren't as "new" as that one is! That's cool!

collim1 likes this.
  8. Bradley T

Bradley T

I actually shot a 300 yd rested group that was somehow a little tighter than my M1 rifle's. The one I fired was old, but new. It hadn't been shot but a half-a-dozen times before I got it. I put several boxes of ammo through it before it finally started to do what it's supposed to. They're accurate enough!

I don't know if that's normal, but several of us shot it and it just wouldn't hit. I had several boxes of ammo for it, so I just kept shooting it. It finally came around. Barrel lapped?Proper fouling? Mechanism and barreled action needed to marry together? I don't really know.
    It did take a while.

9. seamaster

seamaster

The one I had that was made in 1942, shot left beyond what the rear sight could adjust for, and the barrel was straight not bent. I was blown away by that because it seems that the world revered the pre-64 guns as being the "best".

I have mossberg 464 that I bought new which I installed williams receiver sight and a square post front sight blade and it shoots under 2" at 100. I liked how this mossberg shot and functioned so much that I thought I'd buy the "real thing".

That winchester turned out to be a disappointment but like a dummy I still want one. I just don't know what to expect so I'm very reluctant to buy another one.

10. TxGun

TxGun

Most 1894s (as they were called by Winchester until about 1920, IIRC) and 94s I've had were 2" to 4" 100 yd. guns in the hands of a real good shot from a rest. At one time, I had every caliber they were ever manufactured in and had, I think, 38 of them total, many of them SRCs, which were always my favorite version. Still have a few SRCs, but traded or sold off most of the guns to other collectors, or gave them to family.

11. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977

12. bgirls

bgirls

You sir are one lucky thief!!!

collim1 likes this.
  13. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

I said name your price.

He did.

And I gave him hundred dollar bills.

I shall sleep soundly tonight.

bgirls and flyover like this.
  14. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

Agreed: good deal, nice rifle and potential family treasure for generations.

It's also a rifle to enjoy holding and admiring while sitting by the fire with a little sour mash and watching Lonesome Dove. Oh yeah.

15. collim1

Planning to take the Marlin I bought him a while back and use it to hunt with this year.

Looking at putting a Leupold FX II Ultralight 2.5x20mm on it. That should be a nice low profile optic for shooting inside 100 yards.

Dad wants to shoot the Winchester. I’d love for him to take a deer with it this season. A lot of people probably wouldn’t want to shoot it, but I personally think it deserves to be shot after all these years.

16. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

If your dad takes a deer with the Winchester (or not), knowing that he hunted with it will add to the heirloom value for you. That's a good outcome for both of you.

collim1 likes this.
  17. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

18. collim1

I’m not a collector. I know some will cringe because it’s allegedly unfired. I have no way to confirm or deny that really.

It will certainly have limited use, but I fully intend for dad to fire it and hunt with with it a few times this year.

That being said, I am not a huge fan of the Winchester. I appreciate its history and aesthetics, but I believe the Marlin is a superior design in almost every way for a hunting rifle.

The ones I have have handled can be fickle about cycling, eject the brass right in your face, and can’t easily be scoped.

PhotoFeller likes this.
  19. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

3rd lever gun thread today. I think someone is speaking to me from above.

Classy move for your dad. Bravo!

giphy.gif

20. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

Nice, Collim1! Very good of you. The only thing I would say is keep that blue oiled, 94's receivers tend to corrode and discolor easily. They still shoot fine, but look ugly, or salty, depending on what you like.
    Again, very nice!