1950 Winchester Model 70

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by NoVAlooker, Oct 27, 2002.

1. NoVAlooker

NoVAlooker What Me Worry

Hey all, I was looking at purchasing a 1950 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 today. Not very familiar with these rifles, other than to recognize the respect lots of folks have with them.

The guy selling it wants $500. Is that a decent price?? A scan at auction arms and gunbroker.com didn't really help.

It looks to be in great condition, there is no sign of wear on the stock at all.

What should I be especially careful to look out for? I liked the feel of it, and was looking for a bolt action for deer season, this seemed like a good choice - though its a bit more expensive than what Wally World was selling.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Winchester made a change in their rifles in the mid 60s. What was it, and is it something I should be worried about. I can get a new Model 70 fir about $750 or 800, and would rather spend the $300 now than want something new next season (or this season)

thanks

2. tjpet

tjpet

If it's a true pre-64 Model 70 in the shape you describe then $500 is right in the ballpark in terms of money. Although a pre-64 can be an expensive proposition today the common calibers like the 30/06 and .270WCF still don't cost an arm and a leg unless new in the box with all the paperwork. If you can take the barreled action out of the stock there might be "1950" stamped on the underside of the barrel just forward of the receiver. Winchester did this for a number of years during the late 40's, early 50's. Some didn't have the marking but most did.

Sounds like a great find. You won't be disappointed if you buy it. An all steel and walnut gun is hard to find in today's world. One more thing. You probably won't get .25 accuracy out of the piece. These were and are hunting guns first and foremost. I've seen some that could plop them all into the same hole but most shoot in the .75-1.50 range.

3. Rabon

Rabon

If the rifle is original and in good shape it is worth every bit of 500.oo. Check to see if the Bolt Handle has been ground to clear for telescopic sights, if it has it's a 450.00 gun regardless of how good the condition is( this is in my area). Through the 50's many changes were made but they are good rifles, as you get into the 60's changes were made to reduce manufacturing costs and it started to show. In 1964 they eliminated the Controled Round Feed and the Mauser type Extractor and it had evolved into just another rifle. The new CRF Model 70 is a good rifle by todays standards. The handlapped barrels, excellent machine work, fit and finish by a Craftsman who cared are a thing of the past.
    Hope this helps.

4. Arbee

Arbee

Sounds like at least a good deal to me. I would much rather have a pre-64 Model 70 than a new one. (A new Model 70 Classic Featherweight runs about $560 around here.) Check to make sure it is really a pre-64. They went from excellent to poor in 64 and for about 15 years following, until they brought back the old action, but at a lesser level of workmanship.

5. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

If the gun is in good condition it's worth around $500. A friend just bought one from his dad's estate (auction). It had a leupold scope on it (std. .270). He gave $550 (including the scope).

I have a featherweight .270. It's minty - I figure it's worth around $750 or more.