close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 v. Glock 21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by whiteyemsr, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiteyemsr

whiteyemsr

So I got a chance to shoot my most recent handgun purchase yesterday, a Kimber Custom II 1911. I got it for $650, and it came in perfect condition with Meprolight night sights and 4 magazines (one Kimber and 3 aftermarket). I put just over 100 rounds through it (practice ammo and Gold Dot HPs) and only had one jam with the Kimber mag (I've heard the factory mags aren't great, so I'm not too worried).

For some reason, no gun has pleased me as much as my Glocks, but I have to admit that the 1911 was pretty awesome. It felt great in my hand, very comfortable with very manageable recoil. It was also VERY accurate. I felt like I barely had to try and got great groupings from 20 yards out, probably better than any of my Glocks.

On the negative side, it really made me appreciate the capacity of Glocks! I found myself pulling the trigger each time after the 7th round left the chamber, expecting additional rounds, and asking myself, "Oh that's it?." Additionally, I realized I have been spoiled with how easy it is to disassemble Glocks. I'm relatively new to handguns, and completely new to 1911s, and I had to read parts of the disassembly section of the Kimber manual a few times while disassembling and reassembling the gun.

Anyway, as a novice shooter, I'm very happy with the new purchase, but I think my .45 Glocks still take the cake for me!

2. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Agreed, I was all 1911/revolvers until about a year ago. Now I have 2 21's and my girl is the 1911 guru, lighter weight, more BB's, what's not to like?

3. teflondog

teflondog

For the range, I prefer my 1911s. I just have more fun shooting them. But for HD purposes, I have a G21SF on the night stand and a G30SF for iwb carry.

4. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I would venture to say the 1911 bug has bitten you. I have seen lots of newer shooters get a Glock and then go to the 1911 platform and never look back.

Nothing wrong with the Glocks but 1911s sure are sweet-as you have discovered.

MF

5. Wizz

Wizz

Any gun that jams is not reliable and is definitely something to worry about, a reliable gun shouldn't need special mags (especially other than factory), ramp polishing, or anything else to function 100%. After seeing multi-thousand dollar big name custom 1911s choke at my private range I couldn't invest in that platform seeing how picky they are. I got a HK45C that will eat any ammo, just as accurate as any 1911, and it only needs to be cleaned every 1-2K rounds...not one single jam in thousands of rounds. I saw two brand new G21s choke upon their maiden visit to the range as well, 2-3 rounds per box each...that's what pushed me to the HK. Best of luck with it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. itstime

itstime

I have shoot and love both. Nuff said. Sounds like you are going to be like me. :)

7. whiteyemsr

whiteyemsr

Yeah, I have to admit, this bugs me a bit. Before I purchased, I did a ton of research and learned that the Kimber factory mags are often found to be problematic and pretty much everyone buys aftermarket (Tripp and Wilson seem to be very popular). While it does seem strange that the factory mags aren't always 100% reliable, I guess if I can get 100% reliability with aftermarkets I'm not too worried. Everyone seems to agree that the problems are in the mags, not the guns, to the extent those two are distinguishable.

8. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

I also have and shoot both platforms. Both have their merits, and I'd be comfortable using/carrying either one.

whiteyemsr,

I've had good luck with the Kimber Tac Pro magazines, as well as the Wilson Combat 47D magazines with mine. No malfunctions using 230 gr. ball and JHP so far.

9. FLSlim

FLSlim

I have to say 1911s are a work of art and a joy to shoot. I have several and would have a hard time parting with any of them. My latest is an EB -- oh so sweet! That said, the Glock 45 acp (mine is a 30) is a workhorse, reliable to the extreme, accurate (my 30 is surprisingly so), a piece of cake to take down, and make a great go-to gun when things are tense. I don't have to choose which I like best, both designs are my favorite.

10. federali

federali

I've heard lots of good things regarding the G21 but I've yet to have an opportunity to fire one. I have an S&W M&P and it shoots great and is totally reliable. My S&W 1911 eats anything I feed it including semi-wadcutters. I did take the liberty of lightly polishing the feed ramps on all my semi autos with a piece of crocus cloth wrapped around a pencil.

I have a McCormack magazine for my 1911 and it's been flawless. I've also read nothing but high praise for Tripp magazines.

11. The Viking

The Viking

I am an old guy and the 1911 has been my pistol for many many years. I was issued my first 1911 in 1964. No one yet has beat the trigger on the 1911 with the superb light pull and short reset. It is one of the easiest pistols to shoot well there is. There is no question about the trigger because it is as Mr. Ayoob says - " industry standard." It is also a natural pointer.
    A full custom 1911 is heaven. I do like my Glocks; however, the 1911 will always be first!

12. Pier23

Pier23

Until you wrap your hands around a Sig 220...

But, the 21is VERY nice and you can't beat the mag capacity.

13. Larry V

Larry V

I have a Glock21 Gen 4 and Glock 21 SF RTF2 which I love. But my Sig 1911 Stainless has been flawless and extremely accurate. I really love the Sig

14. The Viking

The Viking

I already have one. It sits in the safe. I will admit though it is a fine pistol; but it cannot take the place of my Wilson, EB, or Nighthawk.

15. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

I guess I don't appreciate the finer things in life! I'll take my G21.:dunno:

16. Alizard

Alizard

The 1911 is a narrow-grip, single-stack design so mag capacity is less than a dual stack. The Browning HP (designed by the same man as the 1911) was the first dual-stack, high cap autoloader ever made.

There are double stack 1911's available from a number of makers like para that hold 14 rounds of 45 ACP.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  17. Glock_en_speil

Glock_en_speil

I started with polymer pistols, namely a G17 Gen4 and a S&W M&P 9. I've had issues with the G17 Gen4. I'm presently waiting for my the new ejector to arrive. :upeyes: The S&W has been perfect through countless rounds.

About a year ago I fired my first 1911 it was a Springfield Mil-Spec that I rented from the range where I am a member and I fell in love with the platform. I shoot the 1911 better than either of my polymer 9's and the trigger is just so sweet! I jumped into the 1911 world in a big way by ordering a CQB from Wilson Combat. This is a custom and with the options I selected it's going to run just north of 3K. Unfortunately, Wilson is so behind at the moment that it's going to take them about a year to deliver the gun to me so in the meantime I purchased a Springfield Range Officer. This is probably the best value in a 1911 today at only around $850 the quality is outstanding and unlike many of the other Springfields the RO is assembled in the good ol' US of A. :supergrin:

In regards to your Kimber get yourself either the Kimber Tac-Pro mags, the Wilson Combat 47D's or the Chip McCormick Power Mags. The Kimber factory mags are garbage. If the mag upgrade doesn't solve your issue then replace your slide stop with one from Wilson Combat. This is actually how I discovered Wilson through this kind of research. Evidently, they make some of the best magazines and parts and people buy them to upgrade other 1911's and make them reliable.

18. 257 roberts

257 roberts

same here!!!!

19. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

I have seen this go both ways, as many go from 1911 to Glocks. Nothing wrong with either choice. Its just personal preference.

:50cal:

20. Shad Roe

Shad Roe

I started in 1976 with 1911s. Recently got a gen4 Glock 19 that I absolutely enjoy shooting and carrying.

Can see a couple more Glocks(at least) in my future.(10mm,40S&W,.45acp,and another 9mm/G26).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.