1911- Unreliable?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by cherrybomb1447, Apr 11, 2018.

1. cherrybomb1447

cherrybomb1447

Hey, I'm only posting to get a wide array of experiences for some personal research.

Last weekend I challenged my brother (a die hard 1911 fan) to a 500 round challenge. Clean guns, and premium ammunition. I was shooting my Glock 22 (Stock) and he was shooting a Colt Government model 1911 (stock). We wanted to see who had the most malfunctions, which was him. At the end I had zero malfunctions....if you count a shell ejecting at my face then I had 1. He had 21 by the end. Often, the last round of his magazine would stove pipe before chambering. the rest of his were stove pipes of empty casings. He was upset because he consistently told me that a 1911 is a much more reliable carry gun. However, I believe our small challenge proved otherwise.

Has anyone had similar experiences? I know people who take their 1911's to gunsmiths and have mechanical upgrades made. However, I dont believe I have seen a stock 1911 run reliably for anyone.

fargus, UrsaNovis and Gloctapus like this.
  2. Gloctapus

Gloctapus

Only quacks would trust a 1911 for self defense nowadays.

Ghost doctor and Macc283 like this.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

Everyone makes a 1911, how many manufactures make Glocks?

4. Rellik

Rellik Kwisatz Haderach in Training

Shot a Series 70 Gold Cup on and off since the early 80's. Back then colt was the best, but with hardball only.
    At the turn of the century with all the new 1911 available, upped the game considerably.
    Today we expect our guns to shoot reliably and resonably accuratly right out of the box.

cjcutter and Glock Commander like this.
  5. TX.G30

TX.G30

Search John Moses Browning. Read about him and his designs until your eyes bleed. You, me, and everyone else in this country owe our lives to that man. Not just because of the 1911, but all of the ingenious ideas he had for firearms that are still used to this day. Glock is not just it's own thing designed out of plastic, it's got a ton of Browning in it if you look carefully. It came about because of and is related to the 1911 and Hi Power.

The 1911 is still relevant in self defense, law enforcement, military, competition, and range fun. It's golden age passed many years ago, but it offers things that a lot of other guns will never be able to. You will see new 1911's the rest of your life as will I so embrace the 1911. Your Glock wouldn't be here without it.

6. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

None of my 16 1911 pistols are unreliable. Can't speak to your brother's.

Chui, bmrtoyo, Yetiman and 18 others like this.
  7. Redeemed

Redeemed

A well made 1911 fed with good magazines,lubricated well should run just as well as your glock. At least that’s been my experience. Will it do it with all the abuse and neglect a glock will take? Not likely. But starting clean and lubed? It certainly will.

Chui, rayzer007, Deadpool1911 and 4 others like this.
  8. Jellymon

Jellymon

The pistol I own with the most malfunctions is a glock. Does that mean all glocks suck and are unreliable? No. I figured out what was wrong and fixed it. I have had ONE malfunction through my 1911 (Springfield range officer compact) out of a couple thousand rounds, and zero malfunctions out of two M&P's in thousands of rounds. Seems like something is wrong with your buddies colt.

n2g, rayzer007, Cali.Glock and 3 others like this.
  9. Berto

Berto woo woo

Commercial Colts never struck me as a benchmark of reliability. They created the cottage industry of tuners and aftermarket parts.

10. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

Really? That's about as funny has Hillary being in the next Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. It's the single most successful handgun platform ever. So much so that the elite of the elite still carry them. Glock is one of the few major manufactures that doesn't make one. Was name calling necessary? Can you define "quack", because the "quacks" I know, have incredible educations, make lots of money, drive really nice cars and own very expensive Italian shotguns.

Chui, Dog Soldier, rayzer007 and 16 others like this.
  11. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I've never had a single issue with any of mine, regardless of price. I clean and lube 'em up after every range trip and buy quality magazines.

12. Stendec

Stendec

A sample size of one is essentially meaningless, and can't be extrapolated to the entire population of 1911s.

I've trusted my life on 1911s since 1985. The only reason I don't carry one on-duty today is agency policy. And I'm working to change that.

13. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I've had the privilege throughout my seven decades of life to speak to many WWII and Korean war vets and I've heard my share of war stories. I've heard Korean war vets tell of failures of the M1 Carbine to stop hordes of attacking Chinese soldiers. I've heard many sing the praises of the M1 Garand and the 45 Auto.

But I've never heard of a single failure of the 1911A1 in combat. But what I have heard was how inaccurate the gun was in the hands of people who had never shot a handgun before. And the explanation was always that the tolerances of the issued 1911's were loose and that was so they'd be reliable.

Anecdotal evidence may not count for much but I would think that if the 1911 was truly unreliable that the word might have got around better than it has. And as far as the guns being inaccurate, a friend of mine had a Union Switch and Signal 1911 issued to his father during the Korean war that has only fired a single magazine of 7 rounds off the side of a ship and never fired again until my friend and I took it out and shot it and that gun actually shot some decent groups.

Approximatly 175 million 1911's we produced in WWII. (Remington Rand (900,000), Colt (400,000), Ithaca Gun Company (400,000), Union Switch & Signal (50,000), and Singer (500). I don't know how many were issued and only certain personnel were authorized to carry them. However it wasn't unusual for unauthorized personnel to get their hands on one (Sgt. Alvin York in WWI) and the bottom line is that they got used a lot in both world warts, Korea, and Viet Nam and it's rare to hear any complaints about them from those who actually used them under harsh field conditions.

14. TeaDub

TeaDub

Cogman45 and Mr. McQ like this.
  15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Every Glock I've had (7) has not been what I'd call "reliable".
    It's unusual for them to shoot 100 rounds with out a malfunction.

Of the uncounted MANY 1911's I've had, and still have, and shot since 1956 (USMC) only one could be called "unreliable", for the first 200 rounds.
    A Kimber ultra compact, of all things, didn't like 230 gr FMJ RN until it got a little "break in".

16. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

How many accounts have you had here?

17. ZX12R

ZX12R Silver Member

You just informed everyone, with that statement, that you know nothing about 1911's!

bmrtoyo, Eshooter, rayzer007 and 16 others like this.
  18. jstrange

jstrange

I have had far more reliability problems with the 1911 platform than the Glocks I have owned or shot. This is across many brands and models. I expect that if you buy a brand new Glock and a brand new 1911 and shoot them straight out of the box, you will likely have more trouble with the 1911 (just too many variables to contend with).With that said, a good, properly tuned, 1911 will run as well as as anything and is what I carry every day.

timmy266, DHart, UrsaNovis and 2 others like this.
  19. refugeepj

refugeepj

paid $525 for a NIB Ruger SR1911CMD about four years ago.
    i would trust it!

Eshooter, rayzer007, timmy266 and 2 others like this.
  20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

"But I've never heard of a single failure of the 1911A1 in combat. But what I have heard was how inaccurate the gun was in the hands of people who had never shot a handgun before. And the explanation was always that the tolerances of the issued 1911's were loose and that was so they'd be reliable."

Mostly those people just couldn't shoot a pistol worth a damned.

Example.

About 1963, in the National Guard, we Officers had a "range day" 1911 pistol qualification.
    I asked if I could use my (bought from the government for $17, brand new, GI 1911A1?)

A Lieutenant was shooting a issue 1911A1 beside me, and he was all over the target.
    I was doing pretty good with my nice 45.

The Lieutenant, like most 45 complainers, was bad mouthing the "worn out 45".

I said, "Let's swap guns".

Again the Lieutenant was still all over the target, but had no excuse since he has seen my 45 shoot the whole magazine into almost a single hole.

While again, with the "worn out piece of junk 45" the bullets were in a tight group when I was shooting it.

The Lieutenant then had to admit that his poor shooting was him and not "the old worn out GI issue 45".