close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 SSP Guy Switching to GLOCK ISPC-- help w. Categories 9mm or 40?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by blsexton, Oct 19, 2006.

1. blsexton

blsexton Guest

OK, taking the plunge and changing from 1911s to Glock as a G19 will be my carry gun. Therefore, in IPSC I'm going to go with a G34 or 35 and it can be in either 9 or 40; would like to ask what the conventional wisdom out there is between the G34/35 and the 9/40.

Stipulations:
    NOT at all interested in shooting Limited 10 - it's a made up category that should just go away- back in the 10rd magazine ban days it was OK, now it's bunk.

IF I can shoot MAJOR in a category I will gladly up to a 40cal.- NOT wanting to shoot minor while others shoot major- BUT I don't know which (limited or production) the G34 or 35 would shoot.

Would prefer to shoot production (do the 34 and 35 both qualify here?) and everything would be minor?

Interested in hearing your past experiences!

2. ezterra

ezterra

The Glock 35 would be the most veratile. The Glock 34 would limit you to Production unless you want to be scored as minor in limited and limited 10. The Glock 35 can be shot in production as well as limited and limited 10, and it will shoot major, provided you meet the minimum 165 PF, in both limited and L10.

3. Bill Dncn

Bill Dncn

+1 :thumbsup: G35. Download for minorPF, plates, etc.

4. Joe D

Joe D Guest

The G35 is a no brainer choice. IPSC - Limited, Limited 10 and Production. IDPA - SSP and ESP. Can't understand how my G35 can make Major in IPSC yet it can't seem to do so in CDP. Guess uncle Bill has to protect those 1911s.

5. bruce282

bruce282

I do believe CDP protects the .45acp, not the 1911. I seen more than 1 G21 used in CDP. :)

Bruce

6. fwdave

fwdave

The G34 and G35 both will shoot USPSA Production.

If your preference is USPSA Production (or IDPA SSP), the G34 is a no-brainer. The 9mm cartridge will not be at a scoring disadvantage and you will load to 10 rounds. Easier to shoot and cheaper ammo.

But if you want to shoot other classes as well, the G35 is the better all-around gun. You can use hi-cap mags as needed and your scoring will not be at a disadvantage regardless of what you shoot. Or load to 10 rounds and shoot Production.

One gun for everything? G35.

7. joseywales

joseywales

I agree that the G35 is the best all-around single-gun solution.
    If you don't have/want to live within that constraint, then why not get a G34 for USPSA Production & IDPA SSP, and then when you want to give USPSA Limited a go, you've already got a great reason to get the G35. ;)

Another factor to consider is that the G34 will have lower ammo costs (whether you reload or not) and this usually translates into many more rounds downrange.

8. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

I actually prefer the G34 for Production, SSP and ESP since when I travel I can pick up ammunition for it anywhere (Wal-Mart comes to mind). Just try to find downloaded 40S&W at your friendly neighborhood or out of town ammunition retailer.

I also own the G34, G35, G22, G24, G21, G17L, G17, and G20 and for 40S&W I prefer the G20 since to me in a stock configuration with No Tungsten or Heavy Magazine Wells (Using Long Loaded +1.190 COAL with a KKM Barrel) it has less felt recoil than a G35 that has an extended tungsten guide rod and any Magazine Well (I.e. SJC, THE, JP Enterprise, Novak’s, etc) thats cureently available on the market (Own them All).

9. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

blsexton,

If you don't reload ammo (and aren't a multi-millonaire) then it will be a lot cheaper to shoot 9mm.

If you do reload ammo, then it will still be a bit cheaper to shoot 9mm.

Don't dis Limited-10 too hard...it ain't all about politics. Shooting 10 and then having to reload (on the move) is really more of a challenge. If you shoot Limited, then you will have mags that hold up to 20 rounds of 40 ammo...which means you get so many options on when to hit a reload that the challenge isn't really there.

10. kyjack45

kyjack45

The person who started the tread stated he was not interested in Limitied-10, nor did he mention IDPA CDP. However, for others who are reading, I have a suggestion or two. A Glock 21 (.45ACP) is legal in USPSA Open, Limited, Limited-10, and Production; IPSC Open, Standard, and Production; GSSF Amateur (Civilian or Guardian), Stockmeister, and Unlimited/Master; and IDPA SSP and CDP. You do lose 2 rounds capacity (13 vs. 15).
    Another consideration is reloading versus factory ammo. I do not like reloading .40S&W shot out of a Glock because the brass bulges. Pressures are less in a .45ACP, so this usually does not happen. Factory ammo for .40 just barely exceeds the major power floor, while most .45 230gr FMJ-RN is well above (185-190PF).
    In summary:
    Factory ammo & fewer gun categories, go with the .40;
    Reloaded ammo & many gun categories, go with the .45.
    One final consideration is that for GSSF Amateur & Stockmeister, you need a model 22 (not 35 - Competition & Unlimited/Master only), as well as for international IPSC Production (min trigger weight, max barrel length).

11. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

I love limited 10 its great for us single stack 1911 fans.
    Pat

12. rhino465

rhino465

In addition to that, you also can't afford to take as many chances when shooting Lim10, Production, or Single Stack because you don't have the rounds to spare on a given array for makeup shots in a lot situations. Throwing an extra shot because one didn't feel or look right when you pressed the trigger is no big deal if you have lots of ammo in the mag, but if you have none to spare, the additional reload is detrimental to one's success. :supergrin:

Tony H. put it an interesting way to me last Sunday. He said that when you shoot Lim10, Production, or Single Stack, every stage is effectively Virginia Count.