Glock Talk banner

1911 or....

5K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  glock2740 
#1 ·
Still looking for my first 1911 but I am also looking at a Sig P226 Navy. My question to you folks is if I was to go with a 1911 which one would you get for $700 ish? Why would you get it over the Sig?

I'm looking for opinions, oh and this will be my first gun purchase in 2010 :) Thanks in advance everyone.

#3 ·
The only reason I would say 1911 over the Sig, is everyone should own at least one 1911. If you are stuck on that price, I would look for a used Kimber, preferably one of the series I. Would stay away from the Kimbers with the exterior extractors, there is a reason they don't make them with those anymore! The 700 range is a tough bill to fill. Most are cheaper or more expensive. Really depends on what you need in your 1911. For me, a high rise beaver tail, combat hammer, long trigger, and a lowered ejection port are a must, and Kimber just happen to come with those things standard!:supergrin:

#4 ·
The only reason I would say 1911 over the Sig, is everyone should own at least one 1911. If you are stuck on that price, I would look for a used Kimber, preferably one of the series I. Would stay away from the Kimbers with the exterior extractors, there is a reason they don't make them with those anymore! The 700 range is a tough bill to fill. Most are cheaper or more expensive. Really depends on what you need in your 1911. For me, a high rise beaver tail, combat hammer, long trigger, and a lowered ejection port are a must, and Kimber just happen to come with those things standard!:supergrin:
Thanks for the response. The price range is about as high as I can go but if you can think of something lower that's definitely ok with me :D

#5 ·
Thanks for the response. The price range is about as high as I can go but if you can think of something lower that's definitely ok with me :D
Sure, and glad I could help. If you can do without the first three things on my have to have list, don't hesitate, get yourself a Springfield Mil Spec. IMHO they are the best 1911 value going, if, and that's a big if, you can live without the other bells and whistles that the Kimber offers, even on their bottom end models. The reason I think the Kimber is a better value, is because if you have a gunsmith fit the beaver tail, hammer, trigger onto a Mil Spec, you will have about equal money of a Kimber, and additionally, the Kimber comes with a match grade barrel and bushing. That would add about another 200 dollars to have fit to the M.S.

#8 ·
The Sig P226 is a great weapon that will take all kinds of abuse and keep on ticking. I kind of have a soft spot for the P226 as I was issued one and ran thousands of rounds through one during my 10.5 years in the Navy. I have a P226 NSW Serial Numbered Navy model that has never been fired. All that being said, when I got out of the Navy, I took a couple years off from regular shooting. When I got back into some regular shooting, I kind of drifted over to the striker-fire and 1911 pistols. It is difficult enough to transition from a Glock trigger to a 1911 trigger, but I could never warm back up to the SA/DA trigger of the Sig. I like a consistent trigger pull from the first to last shot. If you do decide on the Sig, which would not be a bad choice, you could always send it off to someone like Bruce Gray and have them do an action cleanup....you will never be able to hold and shoot a box stock Sig again. He really does a nice job.....probably the best Sig work I have ever seen. One thing I have noticed with some of the triggers in the newer Sig pistols, especially the SRT (Short Reset Trigger), is that the triggers are absolutely horrible out of the box.....gritty, stacky.....just plain crap. This is totally unacceptable for a pistol that, in most cases, is going to be approaching $1,000.

#9 ·
I have both purchased and owned or borrowed for extended use several Sig pistols from my brother. I have found those in 9mm and .45 ACP to be wonderful. The single example I borrowed in .40 S&W was not to my liking. I have always had a 1911 of some sort and currently own a Springfield Mil-Spec. 1911-A1 in .45 ACP. In the price range you stipulate I would look for and purchase either a older model Sig P-226 or I would find and buy a used Springfield Mil-Spec. Purchased used in good condition the SA 1911 leave you with enough money to buy plenty of ammo, etc. The Sig P-226 might cost closer to the top of your budget, depending on where and from whom you buy it. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot, so that would be a factor to consider in your buying decision. Recently I purchased a as new SA Mil-Spec. 1911-A1 in .45 ACP for a little more than half of your budget. It is in every way outstanding. In function, accuracy and quality of manufacturer it is without exception perfect. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.

#11 ·
For the price you listed, take a look at the Taurus 1911. The reviews I have read indicate this is a good value. A former co-worker who is a 1911 fan bought one and commented that it is better than some of his higher dollar colts and custom guns.
Try to locate a range that has rental guns and throw a few bucks down and try each. Inexpensive invest before buying a gun you will not be happy owning and likely will not shoot.

#12 ·
For the price you listed, take a look at the Taurus 1911. The reviews I have read indicate this is a good value. A former co-worker who is a 1911 fan bought one and commented that it is better than some of his higher dollar colts and custom guns.
Try to locate a range that has rental guns and throw a few bucks down and try each. Inexpensive invest before buying a gun you will not be happy owning and likely will not shoot.
uh no. Dont buy a taurus.

#13 ·
I would say get a Springfield Mil-Spec and build it up, personally I don't like any of the $700 range 1911's they all have front cocking serrations. I would stay away from Taurus, I had one it was a POS. If you really want a Sig, I would look for a German model, the one I had was great, the trigger broke crisp, and I never had a failure of any kind.

#14 ·
This is a 1911 forum, what answer do you think you'll get? :)
Which is why I worded my first post the way I did :) I'm not really looking for someone to make my decision for me just looking for opinions on what the best 1911's around my price range are considering my limited knowledge.

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Looks like I have some research to do, and if I decide on the 1911 I'll be sure to share with you guys what I decided to get, looks like the Springfield and low end Kimber are the ones to look at.

#18 ·
@nd this..although them sig navy is really nice...But I wold just save the money and get a regular 226..

#19 ·
Owning both, I would say the biggest, most significant difference is the trigger. Ain't nothing like a 1911 with a nice trigger job. I second the nods towards the STI and the Springfield Mil-Spec. I would also urge you to look at the SIG 1911. Many people don't like them (and I am sure you'll hear about that shortly :)), but mine has been excellent. As for the P226, I love it and won't get rid of it (disclaimer: German-born, circa 1988).

#20 ·
You may consider looking for a gently used Colt or Kimber. They should be in that range. Nothing wrong with getting a used gun assuming it has been well cared for. I've pretty much decided I'm not buying anything new unless I get a great deal, especially given the large number of pre-owned guns on the market right now.

#22 ·
The Sig 226 is a great gun.

Problem I had was the DA/SA routine. I shot it for a while in IDPA and most always threw the first shot. I dry fired it alot to get use to the DA/SA but could not over come it. I stayed with Glocks.

That being said I got a Springfield Milspec for Christmas and genuinely love shooting it. I hope to run it some in IDPA to shake out any issues. The big question is should I sell a G21 and G30 ?

If you select the P226 stay with it as a sole platform would be best in my expereince.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.