close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 only good as a doorstop compared to Glock 20

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SilverState, Dec 25, 2006.

1. SilverState

SilverState

We were having a discussion about the 10mm and I commented how I prefer to carry the .45acp in a 1911.

This guy named Bravo-Four from Oregon (with a "sniper" avatar) commented about how the 1911 is apprently inferior to the Glock 20 and how it is only good for jamming in a door that won't stay open, etc. etc.

Here's his quote:

Here's the page of the thread containing the above quote:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=631400&perpage=&pagenumber=3

I just thought you guys would get a kick out of that.

2. johnniekirk

johnniekirk

Sounds like the gentleman needs to take a trip to Camp Perry Oh.,next summer.

3. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

"Bravo-Four"? Definitely mall-ninja material.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

4. Lifer

Lifer

21 rounds?!? WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mine only holds 15+1
    He must have a stealth black, mall ninja, hi capacity, custom made carbon fiber finished, steel lined with digital cammo pattern, wolfe springed after market mag with 6th generation updated Glock follower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I can say is Whew. I hope that Pelosi doesn't get wind of those being available on the open market or we are all DOOMED.

Lifer:harley:

Edited to add: I own 3 1911's in 10mm and more in 45. They are all cozy and warm in the safe. No guns used for doorstops in my house!!!

5. Delta-x

Delta-x NRA Member Silver Member

This guy (Bravo-4) , sounds like a poser/mall ninja/troll/green

horn/kid.... :rofl:

6. collim1

collim1 Because Alexa said so!

Glocks in general and especially the G21 are near bulletproof no-frills carry pistols. I chose a G23 to carry and am very satisfied.

However stating that 1911's in general are "doorstops" is an ignorant statement.

7. paul45

paul45

The uber mall ninja known as Bravo-four needs to change his tacticool handle to ........."Bravo Sierra"

8. larry starling

larry starling SIG and Glock

Thats to true!!!! :laughabove:

9. Jerseycitysteve

Jerseycitysteve

With these mall ninjas, the 10mm is not only a weapon but a religion with DT ammo as the sacrament.

The 10mm is a great cartridge, but there are good reasons why no LEO agency carries them.

He is right about the comparison between the Glock and 1911 formats. Glocks are reliable out of the box. Reliable 1911s cost twice as much and carry half as much ammo in a heavier package.

The 1911 is a work of art and the Glock is ugly reliable plastic.

10. 1991

1991 Stainless

Wow, 21 rounds! Anyone lacking the manual dexterity to operate a manual safety undoubtedly needs the extra 14 rounds - and probably more.

11. SilverState

SilverState

This is GLOCK Talk, so many of us on this board find the Glock to be a formidable weapon with some advantages over other weapons.

However, I think the comments about how Bravo4 is a "mall ninja" might actually be based in truth. And the reason I say that is because most military-trained people understand the 1911's worth and service record. His comments are nothing but comedy.

:animlol:

BTW, I mentioned how I CCW one of two particular .45acp 1911s (commander bobtails) instead of my 10mm pistols (Glock 20, Kimber Stainless Target 10, and Colt Delta Elite). B4 starts talking about mags with 21 rounds. So let's see, large frame Glock PLUS HUGE +5 BASEPLATES. Oh, yeah, really sounds like a concealable pistol to me...

:upeyes:

12. sheepdog

sheepdog Texan

Wow. 21 rounds. Bravo 4 must plan on missing a lot.
    Gonna be a bloody bystander day at the mall.

Man, I feel bad about the sarcastic tone of my post. No, really, I do.

13. Makoman

Makoman

Democratik People's Republik of Kommiefornia
    Yeah, 21 rounds. Must not be practicing very much if you feel you need 21 rounds to hit a target. I'm praciticed enough in the handling of my series 80 1911 and plenty confident I won't need more than the 8+1 rds that it holds to hit my target and it's been realiable and accurate from the day I bought it.

14. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever 10mm Pusher

You have to remember that many board members are either very young, overly enthusiastic, or both! I LOVE my 1911's and they are my favorite pistols for recreational/target shooting, but not necessarily my "go to's", for different reasons. My first choice in a CCW/HP piece is my Glock 23, and if I'm in a position to carry in the open, it's my Glock 20. I rationalize, that if I'm going to tolerate a full size platform, 16 rounds of 10mm performance is what I want. A single stack .45 is NEVER a bad choice, but I rationalize that it's no longer my first, most logical choice for several different reasons. However, I'll close by stating that the 1911 will never be a "doorstop" in comparison to any other combat pistol. There's a big difference between a doorstop and a yardstick.:thumbsup:

15. sheepdog

sheepdog Texan

Hey, all joking aside...I am not saying that 10mm Glock is bad at all, I just don't think it having 21 rounds handy is the main reason it is GOOD. But there is room for all of God's children. :thumbsup:

16. zuby

zuby

Our Soldiers carried 7 round 1911's in World War II and they seemed to do pretty well I would say. Un-educated comments about a pistol design that has been combat proven for almost 100 years and still remains in practical use.

I wonder if Bravo-four carries his little super pistol in a fanny pack.

:rofl:

17. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

There is a reason that LEO SWAT teams and Military Special Opps still generally prefers the 1911. The 1911 also dominates competition shooting. They are simply the best pistol for shooting fast and accurately with bar none.

A Glock 20 in the same league as the 1911 now thats a laugh.
    Pat

18. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever 10mm Pusher

Who could argue with a man with your credentials Pat? Most impressive. :upeyes:

19. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I've carried guns with capacities from 16+1 to 5 rounds and currently carry a G30 10+1. I have never felt undergunned or overgunned with any of them. I figure 15-17+1 capacity in a full size gun is plenty. If you roll with half of that that's cool. For LE, I tend to push for more capacity but that is a different animal than the casual armed civilian.

I'm taking sides with Pat on this one. I think the 1911 wins over the Glock. Even with 60% of LE using the Glock, they still have a long way to go to compete with the 1911. The Glock has come far in its time but is still leagues behind the 1911.

20. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

SS, what .45 ammo are you shooting at 185gr @ 1225fps ? that is like .357 mag velocity. Insane. What ammo is it?