1911 in .380

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Lethaltxn, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Since the elections, my wife has been wanting to get a firearm for concealed carry/nightstand duty. We went to a range that rents pistols and she took a liking to two pistols.
    The first was the Glock 42. She liked how it shot. She shot it really well actually. I was proud of her. Her biggest complaint, no external safety. Valid complaint, so we tried several other pistols in 9mm and 380.
    We shot a Kimber, Ultra carry I think, in 9mm. She felt it was a little wide and thought she may have an issue with concealment. My wife is very petite. But other than that, she really liked it and shot really well with it.
    We shot several others and came back to those two.
    I explained about Glocks and getting a good holster etc.. She basically decided she liked the 1911 style the best and felt she was the most comfortable with it. She was very adamant about the external safety.
    We stopped by a gun store to hold a few more and she took a liking to Browning Black Label 1911 in 380.
    Now I admit to knowing nothing about the 380 in 1911 other than the basics of the round.
    I have two .45 ACP 1911s. Both Springers.
    So my question is, how many manufactures make these and how reliable are they overall? Anything I should know before buying? Should she stay in 9mm?

Thanks!

2. porschedog

porschedog

I have a Sig P 238 and Colt Government 380: both are essentially small 1911s. If that's a platform you like, you'd love either of these. Same single action and same assembly procedure.

3. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

She tried the 238 but did not like it and felt the slide was difficult to operate.

4. jrgreene1968

jrgreene1968

A member on here recommended a browning black label 380 to me for the wife. We saw one at lgs, and she liked the feel, but she said it was to big for her to carry. The dealer only had the base model in stock, which has plastic grips and plain black sights. I may buy her the pro model which has better grips and night sights if I can find a decent deal on one. It would at least make a nice range gun, and night stand gun.

5. bachman44

bachman44

I've been looking for a Rock Island Baby Rock for years. I think it would be a fun setup.

dudel likes this.
  6. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

So far, I have read a couple of folks saying to go ahead and pony up for the pro model.

This was another option I didn't know existed. I was thinking maybe that, since it's all steel and much cheaper, may be the way to go with a new set of night sights. :dunno:

7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

no current production 380s with a thumb and grip safety like a 1911.

8. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Yeah. We noticed that was a hard combo. She really likes the 1911 trigger and the feel of it.
    So are RA and Browning the only two current production models for 380? I know Colt used to make them.
    That are basically a scaled down version of a full size?

9. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Sig Sauer and now Kimber make a copy of the Colt Pony.

10. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

But nothing like the Browning where it is just a miniaturized version? That's what she really likes was that it was just like mine, but smaller and in a more manageable, to her, caliber. Plus, the added benefit on the Browning was the extended mag release and extended slide release. She felt she could manipulate that very easily.
    There is a LGS near my work I like to frequent. I may see if the guy can get a RA or Browning and replace the sights. See what the damage is.
    I also just noticed that apparently Eagle Imports is carrying Llama 1911 style 380s. Look very similar.

11. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

while browning is a top brand and RIA has shown to be reliable, the only small 380s close to the 1911 design do not have grip safeties. llama is not worthy of consideration just yet as I am not a beta tester. let us know how it works out for you.

there is a real big difference in size between the Sig 238 and the browning 380.

12. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Oh, I was under the impression that LLAMA used to make these and they were very reliable. I have no experience with that brand at all.
    I think what I might do is just go with the RIA for now. It's all steel, which she likes, and so far I'm seeing it has good reviews. Just add some night sights, if I can, and be done with it.

I'll keep researching so if anyone wants to continue to add please do. I'll try and remember to post when I get whatever we decide on.

13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

llama has been suspect in the past. more miss than hit from what ive seen and read. RIA is a real sleeper and has been turning out great 1911s for a decade now. I do not know why the omission of the grip safety from the "mini 1911s" back in the 80s with the Colt Government/Pony/Mustang, but others have followed suit since when making a truly small 1911 type gun. maybe the bigger 1911 380s are as small as you can make them and still incorporate all of the 1911 gizmos.

14. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Good to know. I've heard a lot of good things about RIA.

15. bac1023

bac1023

Not sure I'd call Browning a top brand. Old Belgian FN Brownings were nice. I'm not sure who's even making these things.

16. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Hopefully it's not Umarex. ;)

halfmoonclip likes this.
  17. SAR

SAR CLM

I've been shooting and enjoying 1911s before Glocks even existed, but I'd have to say that if it came down to it, I'd take my Glock 42 over my Colt Govt .380 for self defense every time. My Colt Government .380 has always been finicky about ammo and it needs to be kept cleaned and oiled. For the sake of reliability and simplicity of use, I'd just stick with the Glock 42.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  18. bac1023

bac1023

I don't think so, Bucky. However, they don't strike me as something of good quality either. The Browning 1911-22 is maybe a half step above a POS, in my opinion. Not impressed at all...

I need to get another look at the 380. Fred has one, so I'll check it out.

19. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

While I agree, she isn't comfortable with it not having a thumb safety.

20. Dave514

Dave514

Has she held a Walther PP or PPK. A little heavy but most every woman I've known has liked the feel and it might fit the bill. Though it's certainly not a 1911 style platform.