1911 Guy Loving Glock in Competition

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by GunBugBit, Mar 21, 2019.

1. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

Well if you are training to shoot 5 shots in 7 seconds then everything is going to seem fast. Get your own timer and start experimenting with the par time feature and start forcing yourself to beat smaller and smaller times for each drill you run.

In USPSA or IDPA competition I'd guess that less than 5% (probably even less than this) of shots are taken at 25 yards. Try six shots at 7 yards and a par time of 3 seconds, with an eventual goal of getting that under 2 seconds.

2. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

It rare I can shoot with a shot timer. The indoor range normally has quite a bit of noise.

Unfortunately, I must work. And then the kid stuff. Getting away an hour or two a week is a lot. And normally it when everyone else is shooting.

Maybe one day I can retire....

3. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

Keep em comin! Got any more excuses? Maybe your glasses prescription needs to be renewed or you skipped lunch today?
    Maybe if you backed off on the 31,000 glock talk posts you'd have some time to improve your skills.

Snoopy47 and Shadyscott69 like this.
  4. GunBugBit

GunBugBit

This thread has some lively discussion. I've been back to the 1911 for almost a year now. My current shooting is close to my prior best form, working on getting to new highs. Am 60 years old but everything works and I have most of the drive I have always had. 1911, 2011, Glock, doesn't really matter as long as the shooting fundamentals are applied consistently. Just have to reacquaint with the different guns if switching.

5. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

Exactly............ I am personally getting my eyes checked next week for new glasses :)

I've invested in laser targets and trainer and set them at scaled distances. It not only eliminates the time GOING TO AND FROM the range I can sneak in a few relays whenever I'm in the mood.

I also simply just look around for ANY kind of match. Schedule conflicts make it impossible to shoot ONE discipline. So I just shoot whatever is not in conflict with everyday life.

What I’ve found is, with ANY KIND of focused training that reinforces GRIP, TRIGGER CONTROL, and SIGHT PICTURE puts me head and shoulders above the vast majority at the local club level and top 5% of GSSF matches.

Would I like to have my own plate rack, and range in the back yard? Of course, probably never going to happen until I’m WAY past my prime (and already being on the downward slope of that).

When I finally CAN get to a range my pistol choice, and practice is deliberate because I don’t get much time to shoot outside of matches. If I section off TIME in my life for shooting, other things are sacrificed so it usually is a MATCH if I say “I’m doing shooting today, and nothing else”.