close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 guy just bought first Glock... G23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AZ Heat, Sep 16, 2004.

1. AZ Heat

AZ Heat

I have always been a 1911 guy but have been wanting a Glock for a while. So today I got me a G23. My question is, because I am new to Glocks, is there anything special I should know that is opposite or different than 1911's as far as maintenance, ammo, etc?

Thanks in advance!

2. alwaysready

alwaysready

well im sure the regular barrel cleaning and that you would already know. u do need to grease the slide sometime i believe.
    Havent done the slide on mine yet and ive put 1500 rounds through it by now.(ill have to check into it). the barrel ive cleaned once( after 400 rounds) they arent real finicky about being clean is my understanding obviously you should clean it occasionally.

3. Timjo1955

Timjo1955

I too have a 1911(Colt, Series 70) and a G23. In general, the Glock does not require as much lubrication. You may wish to review Pages 37-38 of the Instructions for Use on lubrication. I use Hoppe's #9 for the bore and feed ramp. I have FP-10, Rem Oil, and G-Lube(from Glockmeister) for lubrication. I field strip, clean thoroughly, and lube the pistol at least once after each range visit. After I clean the pistol, I rub a drop of oil on the inside of the slide including the area around the ejection port(shiny, not wet); 1 drop for the barrel, 1 drop for each slide rail, and 1 drop of oil "where the rear end of the trigger bar touches the connector at the right rear corner of the frame"(very important). Relatively small drops. Glocks tend to be very resistant to rust or corrosion, but I tend to rub the outside of the slide with CorrosionX occasionally, then gently remove with a Hoppe's cleaning patch(Hoppe's patches are softer than Outers). Once in a while, I put a drop of G-Lube on the inside of the mag well for the mag release spring and run a silicone cloth through the mag well to facilitate smooth mag loading and release. One last thing- I clean the ends of the slide and frame(where residue tends to collect) after shooting with a little FP-10 and a soft cleaning patch.

4. fiberpig

fiberpig

see my reply in Sub Club to "New 27 has a problem"...I have so info. there on cleaning and lube...bottom line...glocks use very little lube compared to your 1911 and will function better that way...If you overlube you will find you develope problems..it only took 1 time to realize that myself...best of luck with your 23...I currently shoot/carry a 27.

5. gary newport

gary newport

Opposite? Well, the Glock is so much easier to disassemble, clean, lube, and maintain (replace parts, etc.) that there is no comparison with a 1911. Glock owners can generally do anything that needs doing on their pistols (and not much needs doing) without paying a gunsmith to do it. Note carefully the manual and the posts here about the MINIMAL lube required on a Glock. The Glock trigger is...different, if you are used to a 1911. Practice will get you used to it. There aren't major differences with respect to ammo, except that many folks (including Glock itself) say to avoid lead bullets in Glock factory barrels.

One warning: Glocks can be habit-forming! Two years ago, I had five 1911s and zero Glocks. I now have two 1911s and SEVEN Glocks!

Let us know how it goes when you get a chance to shoot it! ;c

6. Ian111

Ian111

Congrats. I think you'll like the G23 and how it'll fit into your handgun battery. Your 1911's are nice and slim but on those days you want to carry something smaller and lighter but packs a respectable punch I think you'll appreciate what the G23 gives you.

7. AZ Heat

AZ Heat

Thank you guys for the info.
    This is good to know. I guess I'd better go wipe off some of the oil I put on it! I'm used to carrying a SS 1911 that requires staying wet. I guess I should head over to the Glockmeister and pick up some grease and learn a little bit more.
    I plan on shooting it this next week. What is the most rounds you can carry in this thing while remaining flush (what is the capacity of the high capacity mags for the G23) and is there a particular brand?

Thanks guys!

8. Ian111

Ian111

I believe standard cap mags for the G23 is 15 rounds. Its been awhile and I try not to think about it since I live in CA. ;g I usually download all my mags by 1 for more reliable function YMMV. Wow 15 rounds in such a compact pistol. Now you got me thinking about it!! LOL

There is only one brand of mags for Glock pistols and its Glock. You can get aftermarket springs like Wolff but I leave mine stock. Follow the Glock manual. It shows you where to place the drops of oil. I like Militec-1. It stays on better than stuff like CLP.

9. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Welcome to the dark side..... ;N

edited to add:

G23 holds 13 in standard cap mags. You can use the 15 round g22 mags that stick out a little, but the 13 rounders are flush... I would use GLOCK factory mags only for defense/competition. Anything will be ok enough for the range.

:cool:

10. Timjo1955

Timjo1955

The standard capacity for a G23 mag is 13(the 15 round G22 mag will also fit, but not flush). I do not know of any mag maker except Glock(I would only buy GLOCK FACTORY MAGS, anyway). The prices are usually quite reasonable($16.00-20.00), except demand is exceeding supply of 13 rounders right now. There may be some good prices on the 10 rounders due to the expiration of the AWB. Some online mag suppliers are: www.glockmeister.com; www.ivanhoeoutlet.com; www.fourfourmag.com; and www.topglock.com. There are others. There are many brands of premium carry ammo, but 165 grain Speer Gold Dot and 165 and 180 grain Remington Golden Saber are very popular. For target pratice, I have found Winchester White Box(WWB), Blazer aluminum and brass, American Eagle, and Fiocchi all acceptable. I do not use Wolf(Russian import) or American Ammunition. I hope you find this information useful.

11. fiberpig

fiberpig

....so what's the range report like.....?

12. AZ Heat

AZ Heat

Been out of town on business. (Very uncomfortable going around California unarmed). Plan on going in the next day or two and will let you know. I'm still waiting for Glockmeister to get some hi-caps so I can pick up a couple extra mags.
    Even before shooting it, my wife really likes the feel of it so I think I'm going to try to find her a G19. I'm willing to get anything to get her fully converted to guns.

13. AZ Heat

AZ Heat

Finally got a chance to put 100 rounds through it. I really like this gun. Almost feels like I'm shooting a 9mm. My only complaint is for the high cap mags I picked up. The 13th round is a pain to get in. And then you have to slam the thing in the gun. Is this normal and is this something that will get better or loosen up over time?

14. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

I have a G23 and 10 round mags for it, and after two years of competition with my 6 mags that 10th round is still a pain to get in... and yep i have to make sure i seat the mag with "authority" or for sure it goes "click" oops..

I've shot both GSSF,IDPA and some USPSA with it so i've loaded and unloaded the mags a fair amount over the last two years.. I cursed at one the other day at a club match, thought i had counted wrong so i took all the rounds out and put them back in.. still hard to get the 10th in.

Now my G35 mags seem to be a tad easier to get the 10th into.. don't know why.

good luck, shoot the crud out of it they are great weapons.

Jeff.

15. GNut76

GNut76 Got Guns??

Mag loader.........little black plastic thing that should have came with your Glock.....it will save your fingers on that last round.:)

16. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

this is funny, i am a glock guy that just got his first 1911. several things are very different. first, glocks are way easier to keep up. need a lot less lube and can go for a long time without cleaning or additional lube. they are without a doubt, the best utilitarian handgun in existance. 1911's are a machine. they feel like a precision instrument. they need a lot of lube and dont run well dirty.(some dont run well clean;) ) they are wonderful guns but not practicle for someone who is not very anal about upkeep. the glock needs almost nothing. i know of one with over 1000 rounds through it without being cleaned(still has not been cleaned, its a test) and that gun has not missed a beat. glocks are no worry tools. i trust my s&w 1911 because it has passed my no failure tests with flying colors. it will no doubt perform when called upon. i have never had a glock yet i would not trust my life to. they simply work. biggest problem for me is switching back and forth between triggers and grip angles. i said this once before. glocks are like my ford truck, gets it done without a lot of fuss or fanfare. 1911's are like a mercedes or bmw. they work well but need a loving hand on them once in a while to set em back straight. welcome to the world of glock, your gonna like it here.;)

17. glockendoc

glockendoc

you are right - no fuss, just pure function and no cleaning obsessions - the Steyr seems "better" or an "improved" Glock - but only if you are more anal about cleaning - my very limited opinion - I don't carry a clean set of underwear to work, so my Glock shouldn't either.
    I agree with you vehicle analogy, though I drive my Silvarado and it is a joy sometimes to get behind the wife's BMW, it is always a visit, not 'home'... and if it snows rains or muds the Silvarado is out there whereas the Bavarian thing is sitting around ---
    can't have my gun do that sitting stuff. Plus if I drop it I am not all torn up about some scratch or such.

18. fiberpig

fiberpig

Been out 2 times with my new 23, 400 rounds of WWB thru it and it's flawless. It's my favorite pistol ever. My mags. just slide right in, the only mod I did is to put in wolf +10 mag springs before I even shot it. The only other thing is that I want to change the sights to something better.

19. Bert.40

Bert.40

I still enjoy my 1911. But my next .45acp will be a Glock. Maybe the .45GAP after it gets perfected?

20. ppcrusa

ppcrusa

If you own a blued 1911 then the Glock will be a breath of fresh air in the finish dept. Glocks have a very tough finish compared to traditional blued finishes. I think the strongest attribute of a Glock is the durability of the finish on the slide. Out of the box, every Glock I have shot, seen, or had dealings with are ultra smooth internally. The same can not be said for a 1911. I own a 1911 as well, and will not part with it, but the Glock is ready to go out of the box vs. a 1911 always benefits from enhancements (throat and polish barrel, feed ramp, breech face, tune and bevel extractor,etc.)
    Glocks are very hard to beat for "good to go" status out of the box.
    My G26 has never had a misfire or malfunction of any type.