close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 full sized.

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Dec 18, 2004.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

How many here carry a full sized 1911 CCW? Also how do you carry? I carry mine in a Sidearmor IWB, and for winter I carry in a CCW vest;) :cool:

2. LawRand

LawRand NRA Life Member Millennium Member

Okie:

I sometimes carry either my full size Kimber or my Colt Delta Elite. But really, I switch my guns like my wife switches shoes. It is whatever mood strikes me. I practice with all of them, so I don't worry much about the manual of arms.

Best regards.

3. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Summer and winter it's a five inch 1911, either a Colt or a Kimber. Carry method is the same throughout as well; a Milt Sparks VMII covered either by a coat/jacket or a loose shirt.

Guns should be comforting, not comfortable as someone once said.

I'm just lucky that to me the full size 1911 IS comfortable as well as comforting.

4. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Milt Sparks Summer Special II.

5. T.F.H

T.F.H

Howdy Okie

I carry full size colt in A Galco IWB.;b

Todd;c

6. aglocker1911

aglocker1911 can't re-MEMBER

Personally I never got used to the smaller versions of the 1911 but I
    did go lightweight for ease of carry. Kimber CDP in a Leather Arsenal IWB. The only way to fly.

7. GunnDogg44

GunnDogg44

Can someone post a pic of thier carry holster ? I'm looking to start carrying one of my 1911A1's and I'm searching for a holster.
    How do you carry IWB ?? I tried once but when I sit, it binds up, or is extreemly uncomfortable. Any advice ??

8. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Carry a gov't model more than anything else, however it has an aluminum frame and weighs 30 ounces empty. I really like the lighter weight of the aluminum frames for carry. Otherwise I don't think I'd carry a gov't model because my normal schedule has me holstering up in the morning and then carrying for 15 hours plus. If all I had or could carry was a steel framed gov't model I'd still be packin', but that iron does get heavy as the day wears on.

I carry it in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2.

[​IMG]

9. gcmj45acp

gcmj45acp

I've always carried Commanders(They're full size too) until recently. My Commanders have been off with the gunsmith off and on lately so I was forced to carry my Goverment models and then got stuck with the Commanders while the GM's were away.

Well, after spending so much time with them, I'm now leaning heavily toward sticking with just the big GM's. The extra .75-inch on the slide/barrell isn't much of a concealment issue for the way I dress when I'm away from the office. I still prefer the lines and balance of the Commanders. They do cycle faster because of the shortened slide-stroke and stiffer springs. But, when the guns are running at full-speed, the GM just seems to run smoother overall.

As for how I carry them...I almost always carry my 1911's in a OWB Comp-Tac Speed Slide. It's an early prototype with a reduced off-set and it works well for every flavor of 1911 that I've had up to this point. I sometime shoot IDPA/IPSC matches from the same rig.

10. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

excellent choice...

11. okie

okie GT Mayor

Those Milt Sparks holsters sure look nice;) :cool:

12. T.F.H

T.F.H

Howdy

That VERSA MAX 2 looks good is the top reinforst?
    and is it tuckable? I think I want one!

Todd;c

13. Short Cut

Thanks okie! ;?

Yes, TFH, the mouth of the VM2 has metal band around the mouth of the holster beneath the black sharkskin part of the holster in the photo above. They also are available with kydex clips to make it into a shirt-tucker holster.

14. GunnDogg44

GunnDogg44

Short Cut,

Those are outside the belt holsters right ?? The high ride style ??
    They sure look nice.

What about when you dudes take off your jacket and sit, like in a resturant, don't the 1911 kinda print, or stick out somewhat ??

I guess if you want to carry, your stuck with oversized shirts

;f

15. Short Cut

Thanks GunnDogg44! ^c

It's actually an inside the waistband holster. When worn all you see of the holster are the belt loops and a bit less than half of the black band around the holster's mouth peeking above the waist band of my pants.

A 5" is comfortable when I'm sitting, however it is right at the limit for me. Anything longer than that would be poking into my chair if it was worn at the same 15* angle. It doesn't really print when I'm sitting in any kind of a chair, perhaps a little bit if I'm using a light shirt for cover and I'm sitting on a backless bench. The part that would show is the butt and bottom of the magazine, but it wouldn't look like anything other than a nondescript bump and someone would really have to be paying attention to notice that.

16. TreeTrooper

TreeTrooper Shhhhh...

Off duty, usually a Kimber CDP full-size in a Milt Sparks Watch-Six.

17. okie

okie GT Mayor

I wear a T shirt. I met a GT'r this summer, he came to Muskoge to see me. The first thing he said, "You not packin Okie?" I said yes I am.;) :cool:

18. GunnDogg44

GunnDogg44

Carried my 1911 full size all day today, man that wears on me !!
    Kinda got used to my little compact .380 ACP.

19. CarloPonti

CarloPonti Deceased

Full-sized 1911 S&W and SA. No need for me to wear and IWB. OWB much more comfortable. Shirt tail out in summer and jacket in winter.

I wear my 1911 in a Tucker Gunleather HF1. I gotta tell you, these holsters are soooooo good and ride very high and close to the body.

carloponti

20. Squadman

Squadman CRUNCH CuTTER

Carry my SA 1911A1 most of the time in IWB Blade-tech. I got the Fobus C-21 for the 1911 and found it a lot more comfortable for all day wear. Unless I need to conceal the slide, the Fobus is great. Might not be too friendly with your finish, but the Blade-tech was not either. squadman