Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate a lecture on 1911 firing pin blocks--and lack of same.

I used to think there was no excuse for buying a 1911 without a firing pin block, when models with blocks are available. I figured the titanium firing pin and stronger spring meant you just had to drop the gun a little harder.
Then:
--You, the most safety-conscious gun writer I know of, praised the Springfield EMP, which has no block.
--There were comments on line about the Kimber block allegedly malfunctioning and preventing the gun from firing.
--Some dislike the Colt block with the emotion normally reserved for ideological differences. I figured there was no substance there (unless you want a light target trigger on a carry gun--which I don't). But I am wondering if I missed something.

Thanks,

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,950 Posts
I don't see where you've missed anything, RA. Any safety device, like any part of the firearm, can fail or be found to be defective. By and large, the one on the Kimber follows the old Swartz pattern and can normally be expected to work well.

Springfield Armory, rather than incorporating a mechanical safety block, uses extra strength firing pin springs/lightweight firing pins to make their guns drop-safe. Either approach seems to work well.

best,
Mas

1 - 2 of 2 Posts