1911 Duty Carry

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by fendertele87, Apr 9, 2012.

1. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Oh well I guess that the price of fame....

I still ain't driving 12+ hours to get a trigger job done....

2. PattonT

PattonT

My little department in TN allows them but I don't think there's ever been an officer to carry one. The only officers in the whole state of TN I have seen with 1911's are some of the Chattanooga SWAT guys and I'm not so sure they aren't DA variations because there not cocked and locked. In East Tn Glock 22/21/31's make up 90% of the carry weapons. Sig 220's make up almost the remaining %.

3. captdreifus

captdreifus aSun666

How often do you detail strip your 1911 to clean if you carry on duty?

4. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

I haven't detail stripped it yet. It has a couple thousand through it.

I just take it down to field strip and clean and oil. I'll tear it down one of these days.

5. captdreifus

captdreifus aSun666

Gotcha. You have the best duty springer I've seen:cool:

6. Cochese

Thanks! It has served me well, although some people say it makes holes too small. Whatever. :)

7. captdreifus

captdreifus aSun666

May I ask why you chose the 9 over 45? Capacity?

8. Cochese

Not really. Although ten rounders in 9 are nicely sized compared to .45 on a duty belt!

I don't see a discernible advantage of .45 or .40 over 9mm. We issue RA9T, RA40T, and RA45T.

Of our shootings, there is no advantage for .45 or .40 over 9. I don't like the muzzle rise or recoil of .40. I actually don't mind .45 at all. I think it is a hoot to shoot. I can buy a lot more 9mm for the cost of .40 and .45 though.

I'm really effing accurate with this thing too. It is like a BB gun with a SF Xseries hanging off the muzzle. Rings steel like a MOFO.

9. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

What he really means to say is that his girly hands don't like .45....

I field strip and clean/oil mine. I don't have near as many rounds through mine but barring some catastrophic issue, you should be good.

My MC Operator is accurate enough for my needs and with the Dawson front sight, the sight picture is quick to acquire. I can tell you that I can definitely feel a difference in the muzzle rise of the .45 with out the added weight of my TLR-1s on the front.

10. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

The issue pistol is a GLOCK 22 but I rarely carry it, though I don't think the .40 is all that bad of a cartridge. When I switch out the .45 1911 on my belt (or off duty) for another sidearm 90% of the time it's a GLOCK 34. I'm really comfortable with either round. Capacity doesn't mean spit. I guess I just enjoy being unconventional.

11. Schaffer

Schaffer

A non .45 1911. Blasphemy!

I like it though. Everyone gets too caught up in caliber. Shoot what your comfortable. Being 9mm I bet you shoot it a lot more than you would a .40/.45.

Your rig looks pretty sweet.

12. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

I carried a 1911 when I worked patrol. I love that pistol. We just got issued M&P's, which I'm not fond of. By policy we have to carry the M&P in uniform, and I can still carry my 1911 in plain clothes and off duty.

My primary job is investigations, so I'm in plain clothes most of the time. But, I work in uniform regularly for secondary assignments. I'm not a fan of transitioning between different operating systems all the time, which means I've been carrying the M&P pretty much all the time. My 1911 now only gets carries off duty and EP work in suit.

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I carried a Colt Delta Elite in a Safariland Top Gun holster, back in the 90's when 10mm was in.

14. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

His BUG was a patriot missile, and he used mustard gas instead of pepper spray.

Thankfully, cops are no longer allowed to carry weapons of mass destruction. :whistling:

15. CAcop

CAcop

Once a year a factory armorer or certfied gunsmith has to inspect our duty guns. I found a scant safety issue with my duty gun this year but I could probably have found that with a basic inspection.

I think the once a year thing is a holdover from the revolver days at my PD. I've heard stories of those things being frozen due to neglect. That and when we transitioned to autos in 1987 Smith was not turning out quality products. We had guys with right side safety levers that were falling off repeatedly. Our armorers were using wood screws and loctite to keep them together with varying degrees of sucess. One of our guys had his safety locked safe. When the armorer "fixed" it the thing was locked in fire. Others couldn't get through a mag without the safety lever going into orbit. And these things were going on for a dozen years.

16. Cochese

I don't really shoot .45 any worse than 9mm. For me, it is a cost thing with ammo and I can get sloppy with the 9mm (so to speak) and it is still so accurate, it doesn't matter.

Shooting on the move/run, I'm a bit more accurate with quicker follow-up shots than I am with my co-workers TRP set up exactly like my Pro.

If I'm not moving too much (IE quals) it is down right boring accuracy.

[​IMG]

17. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

I'm new here (just joined as a matter of fact) but let me say this... There ain't no way I'd EVER carry a 105-year old design of some gritty "World War Whatever" sorry-ass pistol. If I want to carry a "cocked and locked" pistol, it'll be a freakin CZ-75B. State of the art modern design it is, without the ancient-ones' anecdotal hyperbole attached.

Here's a pic (of mine) if you gloating 1911A1 bastards even care..... Wake up to a more modern and effective police sidearm!!!!! The rest of the world embraced it long ago..... :tongueout:

[​IMG]

18. mntrpr

mntrpr

Please stop posting these so I can stop drooling....

19. Magicmanmb

Magicmanmb RIP BUDDY

Up until 2 months ago 1911 was authorized as optional. As long as you could qualify you could carry for the last 15 or so years. But one thing you have to remember 1911's are not a pistol for someone who doesn't want to practice. Fast forward to new insurance carrier, da/sa or striker fired. Keeping in mind not one of the insurance guys has even picked up a pistol, rifle or shotgun.

Our choices are now Glock, Smith M&P, XD and certain Sigs. No HK (no loss of love) FnP is allowed because the factory is in this state.

Calibers now .357 magnum in a revolver carry for ceremonial
    or back-up. My wife took my FnP 9mm away from me after her CCW class. Glock 22, 23 or M&P if you carry a .40, XD, (I snuck in my XDm), Glock 17, FnP, Sig 2022 for 9mm, .45acp
    M&P is the state bid currently in .45acp G21, 30 off duty, Smith M&P duty, compact off duty or investigations FnP.

No one I'm aware of is carrying 357 sig authorized but budget cuts took care of that, and of course all the Glock models in .45gap. A lot of departments are going from the GAP to 9mm or .45acp. It was great when they received enough ammo to qualify & carry for duty now that it's run out and the budget doesn't cover the case cost. Most got back the G22's or 17's

Several in order to keep officers have gone to a buy your own carry and your responsible for it. You also buy your own ammo from an approved list & duty gear. Gone from Nylon to leather. One has gone back to Nylon from the leather they just purchased, it's being auctioned on .gov site as I type.

Only good thing is your back-up has to be decent no .22's or 25's some are allowing kel-tec .380's. borderline not to get a caliber war started.