1911 Duty Carry

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by fendertele87, Apr 9, 2012.

1. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

Nice choice in a sidearm. I posted a pic 'cuz I thought it would help illustrate what I choose to deal with. The rest is up to you! Good Luck, Brother.

2. nitesit(+ an e)

Are those mags as totally reliable with your gun as standard 7s?

3. Facejackets

Facejackets

I work for a gun store that serves a lot of the LEO agencies in Vegas. I see a lot of LVMPD guys carrying 1911's these days. In fact, I've noticed a lot of guys switching from .40 to 9mm or Glocks to 1911's. Seems to be some sort of trend around here.

A few weeks back I had a K9 officer show up to the store with a 1911 and eight 10 round mags on his belt. He bought one of those Blackhawk! duty belt pads...I wonder why?

4. ar-steve

ar-steve

I used to work in Long Beach, that would be the Sgt. with the 1911. He was the coolest boss I've had. Sometimes I wish I still worked there.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

I carry Chip McCormick Power 10's. They are every bit as reliable as the 7 or 8 rounders and you can get 2 or 3 more rounds of 230 grain goodness....

I know Wilson makes a 10 rounder but I like the large bumper pad that the Chip's have on them.

6. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Seeing a officer carrying a Sig 1911 is just way too cool! :cool:

7. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I'm curious about something. DO any of you that carry a production 1911 (not custom guns like Wilson/Brown) have any reliability work done to your duty weapon? Or are they all bone stock as shipped from the manufacture?

8. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I guess he would laugh at me for my 8+1 in the gun and two ten rounders total. At one point I carried five eight rounders. That did not last long. If I felt like spending money on duty stuff I'd probably grab on of those Safariland triple pouches shown earlier.

As far a reliability of 1911's for duty, I cannot think of any of my co-workers who have done any tinkering with their's and they run just fine. The majority of 1911's are Kimbers. Mostly because they don't know any better and probably think Only Kimber and Colt make 1911's

On the range, the only guns I have seen fail to the point of striking implements are Glocks-mostly Glock 21s.

MF

9. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

Informal polling suggests to me that for most non gun or non tactical minded Officers serving in patrol duties, capacity is the issue. CID types are probably looking for a thinner, easier to carry pistol, & anyone wanting the 'latest & greatest' in availability, will probably go w/the M&P over the Glock. Most Sig guys seem to stay w/Sig, & every once in a while may try a different caliber, if authorized. 'Gun Guys' & the Tactical Gurus who roll w/the 1911 don't seem concerned w/the capacity issue, or filling the duty belt up w/spare mags, rather, they seem to have a plan (have trained for it, & don't mind telling you that they have a plan, etc) to fight their way back to their vehicle for a shoulder fired weapon. On calls that seem to cross a certain 'hair on the back of the neck' threshold, or take them too far away from their vehicle, seem to mount up w/a shoulder fired weapon, anyways. Having said all that, I'd carry a 1911 while on duty if allowed, but alas, that's not an option.

10. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Mine is bone stock minus a Dawson fiber optic front sight. That's purely a sight picture choice on my part. As long as I keep it relatively clean and oiled, it has no issues.

I started off carrying a Hoffner's quad pouch that Cochese was kind enough to send my way. i switched to a Safariland 775 and carry 3 10 rounders and a 10 rounder in the pistol. The way I figure, if I need more than 41 rounds of .45, it's time to get back to the trunk and get the AR.

11. CAcop

CAcop

They are more reliable than any 8 rounders I have tried. Actually they are probably better than my 7 rounders. Of course my 7 rounders are getting to be a decade old. Hmmm. Maybe I need to replace my springs and followers. I have had ral good luck with Tripp's kits.

12. CAcop

CAcop

The only reliability mod I did was file down the breechface extention. It was causing our Winclean rounds to hang up.

13. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I am always amazed how often guys do not put a carbine into play. I have had many a conversation with people with a slung M4. Fortunately our policy does not require supervisor approval or some such nonsense to take the carbine.

MF

14. nitesit(+ an e)

Yeah, seeing almost an entire department armed with 1911s is pretty dool. Mine is a Springfield, not a Sig.

15. nitesit(+ an e)

I changed out some parts. I went with a Wilson Combat billet steel extractor. Removed the titanium firing pin and extra power firing pin spring and replaced them with a heavier steel pin and standard spring (better primer strikes), a Les Baer polished tool steel disconnector instead of the MIM OEM part, 18-1/2 pound recoil spring instead of the OEM 16-lb, and removed the original MSH assembly that had the Springfield Armory lock and replaced it with a S&A checkered steel MSH. Lastly, I switched out the ambi safety for a single sided extended one.

The gun was totally reliable before I did any of that, I just did it because I wanted to.

16. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I went from Wilson Combat ETM 8 rounders to CMC Power+ 10 rounders and saw no difference in reliability.

17. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

We are able to carry a personally owned 1911. It seems like everybody carries something different, STI Tactical, Sig, and Two Kimbers.

I carry a Springfield TRP with Ion Bond coating. I currently have a TRP Operator at the Springfield custom shop getting the same treatment plus a few other goodies, once that one get's back it will return to duty.

[​IMG]

18. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Wilson ETM 9mm 10 round mags now instead of the Metalforms.

Gun has a 10-8 trigger and trigger job from the guys at American Guns (Gunsmoke).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

How much did that trigger job set you back buddy........

20. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM