1911 Duty Carry

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by fendertele87, Apr 9, 2012.

1. fendertele87

fendertele87

I've seen a lot of detectives that will carry a 1911 but I don't see to many patrol officers carrying them. I was just wondering if any officers do carry a 1911 while on the job or if everybody is just going the Glock route?

2. Gear

Gear Silver C/O Silver Member

Our patrol division is issued a Kimber 1911. They all seem to love them. :supergrin:

3. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

I carry a Springfield MC Operator every day I work. It's bone stock except for the Dawson fiber optic front sight replacement.

I'm lucky that my department is small enough to allow personally owned weapons.

4. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Wilson Combat on the job. Colt off duty. Troopers around here are issued Sigs I think.

MF

5. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

My agency allows them. Several carry them. In fact it is all Glocks, 1911 and two HKs.

6. BlisteringSilence

BlisteringSilence Secret Squirrel

No SAO for patrol here, either primary or backup. Off duty requires special permission.

7. ditchdoc24

ditchdoc24

There are two departments here in Georgia that I know of who issue Kimber 1911s. Almost everyone else issues Glocks and a few others issue Smith & Wesson M&Ps.

8. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

I was on scene with a Pierce County WA Sheriff deputy with one Sunday, they have allowed them for years.
    City of Tacoma WA offers it, a dept. issued Kimber if memory serves.
    City of Puyallup WA PD. A friend carries a very nice Wilson he had done up.

9. Mark9Fogger

Mark9Fogger Headed to WA

Years ago while I was vacationing in Long Beach, Washington I saw a city patrol officer with a Kimber 1911.

10. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

Limestone County, AL Sheriff Department were issued Sig 1911s after a perceived "fail" by a 9mm used in an OIS. I'm fortunate enough to work for a dept that allows them and I'm the onliest officer in my county who carries one.

[​IMG]

I get a lot of comments from officers in the surrounding JDs who say they wish they could carry one.

11. collim1

collim1

Not authorized for duty use at my dept, but they are allowed off-duty if qualified with.

Personally I'd carry my P220 vs my 1911 if given the choice.

12. Schaffer

Schaffer

Love to carry one but dept won't authorize anything in 45.

13. CAcop

CAcop

How does that tripple compare to a quad in terms of space on the belt?

I am tempted to get one and put three 10 rounders in thier. They might stick up a little too much judging by the pic.

And we have 5 people in the department carrying them. Me in patrol with a Colt, a patrol Sgt. with a Kimber, a motor with a Smith, a detective with a Kimber, and a dective Lt. who wears a Kimber in uniform and sometimes a Colt Commander in plainclothes.

there are a few more that like 1911s but they just don't like dropping down in capacity. I am tempted from time to time carrying a P228, expecially since the P224 came out.

14. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

All of you guys that work for places that authorize the 1911 for duty carry are very fortunate!

With my last gig, I carried a Kimber Pro TLE off duty and for special assignments not requiring a full duty rig and class A's. I loved being able to rock nothing but a 1911, two reloads and a large bowie on my belt for MJ erad. Got some interesting comments and looks from the public as well! :supergrin:

Looks like my days with the 1911 may be numbered, however. Don't want to open my trap too soon (i.e. before the cheif hand me my badge) but it looks like I'm going to be getting a G22 with my next department. That being the case, I'll probably retire my 1911's to range duty and stick with the compact and subcompact Glocks for times requiring something besides a fullsize.

15. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

The triple is noticeably narrower than the quad or a traditional double. I would say at least an inch, but I'm not in a position to measure right now. I did not feel that the ten rounders stuck up too much.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  16. chaos_23

chaos_23 I walk the line

My agency doesn't issue any weapons, and further doesn't allow single action weapons for primary duty guns. They don't give any real reason why, but I'm sure CALEA and the fact that "they look scary" are heavy arguing points for our admin. I'd love to carry one for duty, but my G21 is good enough I suppose.

We are allowed 1911's for back-up/off-duty, but since we are limited to three pistols, my 642 and G26 round out my stable for work guns. Maybe someday they'll come around...

17. collim1

collim1

I've been tempted to pick one up to try out, but I'm not sure I want to add the weight of another P226 mag on my belt after doing everything I could to lighten it up after having back pain.

Hard to argue more ammo is a bad thing though.

18. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

Just remember that the Safariland 775 triple carrier for 1911 mags has belt slots cut ONLY for vertical carry. I love hortizontal carry but the 1911 mag carrier775 can't be cut for either/or carry slots. Not enough room on the back. If you get a 775 for double-stack mags there is sufficient width that Safariland cuts slots for both methods of carry.

DBBR, I'm never going to overtake you as far as being a gear guru/gear queer!

19. rudeboy3

rudeboy3

I carry a 1911 for duty, Springfield Operator to be exact:supergrin:. I am also considering the slim line mag pouches or a quad pouch. I would think 3 mags is ok, hell I have two right now.

20. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Not allowed. Must be G23 or G22, by policy. Must be G22, by practice; they won't issue me the G23 I asked for.