Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought it would be fun to ask - how many of you conceal carry a 1911 on a regular basis? Government, commander, officer, CCO, whatever. If you do, what do you carry? Of course, pics are always welcome... :dancingbanana:

·
NRA Life Member
66,434 Posts
I have on occasion, but they are way too big and heavy to become a habit. If I had a Browning Hi Power in .40, that would be about as close as I'd get to carrying a 1911.

·
King Doofus.
5,973 Posts
I used to carry a Colt XSE Commander. It was a bit long so I went to a Kimber Ultra. I still carry a shorty now and then, very comfortable IWB. I plan on buying a Ruger Officers real soon to add to my CCW rotation.

·
I feel pretty.
3,943 Posts
Sure.

Having carried 1911's for many years, let me share some pics.

Les Baer Stinger. Carried this one for years.

My Dan Wesson Valor. Bought new in 2010. Stainless steel as well:

And my Colt Series 70, it's hard to spot, it's next to the center console of my 2012 Dodge Powerwagon:

·
I feel pretty.
3,943 Posts
Until they start making every single 1911 part melonite treated, I can only carry them on occasion. If I do carry one, it's a fullsize Dan Wesson Valor. Glock has all of the practical compact stuff covered better.

If your leather holster is damp at the end of a day, then the 1911 might not be a good choice, unless you don't mind absurdly ugly holster wear and pits.

Some of the new DW's are melonite treated nicely, but they often miss the hammer, barrel, pins, etc. etc.

·
Premium Member
CLM #38
10,572 Posts
Either a Wilson Combat CQB Commander or a Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry Commander over a compact frame, both of which are carried in Milt Sparks Criterion holsters. Spare mag and a Surefire on the off side.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,641 Posts
If I'm just running out to the store at night I'll drop my LCP II into my pocket.

But if I'm heading to Vancouver, Seattle or such, I'll also bring my Springfield Micro in .45 with several 7 rnd Chip McCormick mags.

·
rip "Bud"
10,364 Posts
Since I gave up my Snub six-shooter hand cannons, I try not to carry any weapon that has less than 10 shots. That is why I don't carry 1911 or all metal handguns. I'm also weight sensitive and look to weapons of under 16 oz. empty. I've also given up on the heavy calibers for smaller up close and personal calibers. Just my $.02 cents FWIW.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have carried a Colt steel frame Commander OWB in a Bianchi Askins Avenger under a sport coat. Also, I have carried it IWB in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II and in the Galco version of the same wearing shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. A proper belt is imperative to make it work. I wouldn’t call it comfortable, but it is doable.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
D21EC91C-B85F-4C49-A9D5-80FC28AE3C68.jpeg
CE6CFA9E-B200-4D40-8548-25E925CB7DF5.jpeg
A415BC77-E2BA-4828-8AA1-CBAF1904E564.jpeg
EDAEBEDD-B7E1-4B95-A01C-6A67F25A8EED.jpeg
194D4F09-7B5B-45D4-BEFA-D99A1AC7155C.jpeg
I normally carry commander sized Dan Wesson Valors.....and occasionally I’ll carry governments.

Milt Sparks SS2, Criterion or Andrews MacDaniel2 for IWB. I’m dabbling with other OWB leather.

Today my carry gun was this DW PM-C in a Milt Sparks SS2. Ran it some today with my carry loads. Fed BPLE

I hit the range this morning and also took a DW Valkyrie on its first session. Alloy officer frame and 4.25” barrel make it a breeze to carry. I was finally glad to run some rounds through it. Ate 100rds AE 230gr ball today with zero issues.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Just thought it would be fun to ask - how many of you conceal carry a 1911 on a regular basis? Government, commander, officer, CCO, whatever. If you do, what do you carry? Of course, pics are always welcome... :dancingbanana:
I like carrying my home built, hand built 5 inch government. Caspian slide and frame. Kart barrel. Sticks nice and close to my hip. Sorry for the angle
60269137-EFAE-41E5-AE01-105F6279F969.jpeg

·
Registered
139 Posts
I carried a Kimber Compact HD II in a Sparks VM2 for years and then migrated to a Glock 19 or 43. Recently I came to the conclusion the 1911 CCO carries as easily or better than my Glocks.

I’ve gone back to carrying the Kimber in 45 or a Springfield RO Elite Compact in 9mm. I’ll never part with the Glocks but I think the 1911’s fit me better.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts