Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted in General Glocking because I'm looking getting either a G19, G23, but also looking at a 1911 so thats why I'm also posting here.

From I researched theres conflicting reports on 1911's being less reliable when you start talking about barrels less than 5' and also they are built around ball ammo and not JHP's. How true is this? Anything I can read that sours that notion?

I love the look and appreciate the history of the 1911's. This isn't my first gun choice and I do have my permit. This isn't my first ccw either.

I plan on practicing/training with this gun frequently and plan on carrying it and using as HD until I get the funds for a shotgun and or rifle.

Only thing thats keeping me from saying 100% on 1911's is the price. I like the idea of getting an Colt but I need to stay around the 800 at the most and I know that limits a lot in 1911 field. Suggestions are most appreciated.

I'm

·
Banned
18,886 Posts
You're price range is in STI territory. I have had great luck with my Kimbers, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of people on the interwebz that will trash them. Rock Island makes a good 1911 for the money (around $400). I'm a huge Glock fan myself, and you certainly wouldn't go wrong with a G19 or G23. :)

·
Registered
129,756 Posts
You're price range is in STI territory. I have had great luck with my Kimbers, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of people on the interwebz that will trash them. Rock Island makes a good 1911 for the money (around $400). I'm a huge Glock fan myself, and you certainly wouldn't go wrong with a G19 or G23. :)
I also have had great luck with Kimbers and carry one daily.

·
JAFO
14,884 Posts

·
Banned
5,375 Posts
If you're gonna practice/train with it frequently and are on some sort of budget, a Glock 19 can't be beat. Not to mention that 7 or 8 round mags are a HUGE PITA in a modern day training class.

If you want a 1911, get it after the Glock, that way it won't matter if it doesn't run or not. You'll have a good gun to depend on meanwhile.

I shoot a lot of matches and have been to a few high round count training classes and I can honestly say that 1911s of all varieties exhibit the most problems. That's just a fact.

·
GT Mayor
64,670 Posts
Here is me with my Range Officer:thumbsup:

·
Banned
42,101 Posts
If you're gonna practice/train with it frequently and are on some sort of budget, a Glock 19 can't be beat. Not to mention that 7 or 8 round mags are a HUGE PITA in a modern day training class.

If you want a 1911, get it after the Glock, that way it won't matter if it doesn't run or not. You'll have a good gun to depend on meanwhile.

I shoot a lot of matches and have been to a few high round count training classes and I can honestly say that 1911s of all varieties exhibit the most problems. That's just a fact.
Why, exactly, do you hang out in the 1911 forum?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey bac, question for you. Out of all the super nice 1911 s you have you carry a kimber. Why?

Not trying to knock the kimber.

To the original poster, I like having the light weight hi cap of the glock. But you still gotta love the traditional. I don't carry a 1911 much even tho I shoot it the best.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
My Colt CCO cost a little more than your $800 budget, but not by much. It's a fantastic ccw pistol. I much prefer it to my department issue Glock.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Posted in General Glocking because I'm looking getting either a G19, G23, but also looking at a 1911 so thats why I'm also posting here.

From I researched theres conflicting reports on 1911's being less reliable when you start talking about barrels less than 5' and also they are built around ball ammo and not JHP's. How true is this? Anything I can read that sours that notion?

I love the look and appreciate the history of the 1911's. This isn't my first gun choice and I do have my permit. This isn't my first ccw either.

I plan on practicing/training with this gun frequently and plan on carrying it and using as HD until I get the funds for a shotgun and or rifle.

Only thing thats keeping me from saying 100% on 1911's is the price. I like the idea of getting an Colt but I need to stay around the 800 at the most and I know that limits a lot in 1911 field. Suggestions are most appreciated.

I'm

You can get a brand new Colt Combat Commander for less than $800 if you wheel & deal a bit. It's big enough to be a "full size" gun like most full size guns nowadays (4.25" barrel) and it's not as quirky as the 3" models.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If you do a little searching (the fun part for me) you can find lots of good 1911's for under $800. I have bought and sold Kimber, Springfield, STI, Colt all in that price range or less. If you just want to try out 1911 ownership, go with a Rock Island Tactical model, it has better sights and can be bought well within your budget. They are easy to sell if you decide to.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Given your parameters I would seek out a nice Gen I Kimber.. I've never had a reliability problem with a 4" pistol and personally that length suits me better.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Hey bac, question for you. Out of all the super nice 1911 s you have you carry a kimber. Why?

Not trying to knock the kimber.

To the original poster, I like having the light weight hi cap of the glock. But you still gotta love the traditional. I don't carry a 1911 much even tho I shoot it the best.
I do not know how Brian will respond, but I look at the Kimber as a good utilitarian pistol. I too have some nicer 1911s, but I prefer to carry the Kimber. That is why I bought it almost 7 years ago. It has been dependable and well suited for my needs. I carry it with a standard 7-rd. magazine (loaded with SPEER GOLD DOT 230 gr. JHP) in it and a spare 7-rd. mag in a pouch on the opposite side of my body (just in case I should need it). Besides, with a .45ACP pistol, you should not need a hi-cap model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Went to the gunrange and picked up a Colt lightweight commander and loved it. Just holding a gun made of steel feels so right. I also held the Kimber pro carry as well as Sig's version of 1911 and both I liked. The Glock still felt good too.

Still undecided and I got time. Shooting em first will be hard to do because how much my range charges to rent.

I like the hi cap in a 9mm but I like having a 45 in 2 mags. I did hold the G30 but I the idea of shooting 45 out of a pistol that was designed for it.

Now I know you gotta take some people who work at a gun range with a grain of salt but the guy said the colt I picked up was SA first pull and DA the rest. I thought 1911's were straight SA.

·
Banned
42,101 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Went to the gunrange and picked up a Colt lightweight commander and loved it. Just holding a gun made of steel feels so right. I also held the Kimber pro carry as well as Sig's version of 1911 and both I liked. The Glock still felt good too.

Still undecided and I got time. Shooting em first will be hard to do because how much my range charges to rent.

I like the hi cap in a 9mm but I like having a 45 in 2 mags. I did hold the G30 but I the idea of shooting 45 out of a pistol that was designed for it.

Now I know you gotta take some people who work at a gun range with a grain of salt but the guy said the colt I picked up was SA first pull and DA the rest. I thought 1911's were straight SA.
That is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard a gunshop employee say, and that's quite the accomplishment! It's SA only.

·
Premium Member
22,868 Posts
The GLOCK 30 is a great gun though. Might be worth a try. Too bad the rental prices are so high, shooting them would be your best bet.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.